Should I buy a Formetor 2.0 TSI VZ2 with THAT infotainment system ?

Fozz57

Feb 13, 2022
The Formentor TSI 300 VZ2 ticks almost all the boxes for me.
I am ready to buy when colour, price, mileage all come together....some thing around 6 to 18 months old NOT NEW.
I have done my research and background reading and this is where the only doubt arises ....
Is the infotainment system so bad/unreliable ?
More than one review mention that it could be a 'deal breaker' !!!
Now I don't need to use it to its full capacity, ie I can happily do without things like lane assist or road sign recognition, so is there the facility to turn some of the elements totally off ?
I do want a good sat nav. I can live with fiddly heater controls in the dark.
BUT
is the system so functionally broken that it can, according to one reviewer, 'make the vehicle undriveable'. That is no use to me.
I realise that on a car forum most are asking for help with a problem, very few write to say "all is fine" but is it really that bad and have VAG/SEAT/CUPRA not really sorted it out yet ?
Paying upto £40k for a broken bit of kit is not really an option !!!!
Honest opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Fozz57.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008

Tormentor

May 3, 2021
I am ready to buy when colour, price, mileage all come together....some thing around 6 to 18 months old NOT NEW.
I have done my research and background reading and this is where the only doubt arises ....
Now I don't need to use it to its full capacity, ie I can happily do without things like lane assist or road sign recognition, so is there the facility to turn some of the elements totally off ?
BUT
is the system so functionally broken that it can, according to one reviewer, 'make the vehicle undriveable'. That is no use to me.
I realise that on a car forum most are asking for help with a problem, very few write to say "all is fine" but is it really that bad and have VAG/SEAT/CUPRA not really sorted it out yet ?
Thanks
Fozz57.
I find the infotainment system to be its worst feature. It’s certainly not undriveable. Like all modern cars all the safety systems are “on” by default and require turning off according to preferences. Performance is ok on my VZ3 in sport or cupra mode. Looks wise is a matter of personal taste, I find it pretty ordinary.

Reactions: steviekek

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
The very invasive driving assistants can be switched off in the infotainment system but that becomes tiresome each time you start up the car.

A few owners have used OBDeleven to either switch off some features permanently or have them remember the last setting.

My V2 is far nicer to drive without lane guidance being on and with the ability to overtake when using ACC

Fozz57

Feb 13, 2022
Thanks all, very useful.
Having to switch off things each time the car is started sounds like a real bind so the OBDeleven seems like a good solution.
Cheers
Fozz57

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
BUT
Thanks
Fozz57.
Fozz
I can honestly say I am delighted with my car. I did have some infotainment errors like the kph/mph and occasional SOS errors but since my latest software up date its nothing but positive and errors have disappeared. As far as the ACC is concerned, I believe sone if the problems people say they get is fue to them not understanding how it actually works and it is doing its job correctly.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
As far as the ACC is concerned, I believe sone if the problems people say they get is fue to them not understanding how it actually works and it is doing its job correctly.
Care to explain this one ?
If a car running ACC will not perform a perfectly legal overtake on a motorway when traffic in the left lane is moving slower than 70mph - then there is a problem with it.
If I was trying to go up the left hand side of middle lane hogs - then I would accept the car trying to stop me.
Both the above of course is when there is no car in front of me that the ACC is trying to keep at a safe distance.

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
Care to explain this one ?
If a car running ACC will not perform a perfectly legal overtake on a motorway when traffic in the left lane is moving slower than 70mph - then there is a problem with it.
If I was trying to go up the left hand side of middle lane hogs - then I would accept the car trying to stop me.
Both the above of course is when there is no car in front of me that the ACC is trying to keep at a safe distance.
I havnt experienced that. Maybe get your software updated.

Baldiesimo

Mar 16, 2021
I'm on 1804 - according to the dealer - that is the latest.
What hardware do you have. There are 2. It seems the earlier models have become more stable after updates. I'm probably wrong but only what I've picked up from various forums.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
What hardware do you have. There are 2. It seems the earlier models have become more stable after updates. I'm probably wrong but only what I've picked up from various forums.
Device 5FA035862H
Hardware H56
Software 1804
Cont Panel hardware H42
Cont panel Software 6080
Nav database 21.11
Media Codec 3.1.4

TheUkWizard

Jun 3, 2021
West midlands
I have the vz2 on a lease, if I had bought it I would not be happy with all the bugs on the infotainment side. It is just too frequent for me, like yesterday's latest is the boot not closing properly. Nothing in its way, be it still would not close on its own. Before that, I had the infotainment Lose all its picture. Also had the SOS issue and various one off alerts etc. Also getting constant android auto over wi-fi reconnects.

But, none of it has stopped the car driving. As a leaser, I will just live with it. But I would recommend anyone who is buying, wait for the bugs to be sorted first.
If they can fix the laggy unresponsive screen, car would be awesome. Great power and grip, and the adjustable suspension is the icing on the cake.

Fozz57

Feb 13, 2022
Once again Thanks everyone, it's very good of you all to respond to a non-owner (yet ????).
Could I just ask a couple more questions please.

Regarding the software updates - are these carried out by the main dealership and do they charge for them or are they free ?
Does it help if some of the functions are switched off/turned off/immobilised etc as there are some I would never want to use ? I suppose some are user decisions and can be turned off easily, but some others require dealer input ?

Cheers
Fozz57

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Updates are free, after all, it's warranty work.

Dealer won't switch off any options for you. You can switch off functions which manifacturer allows you to switch off, but not certain safety features. So you can live with them or use OBD Eleven or other software to dot this yourself.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.