Buying an FR TDI - Things to look for?

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
As the title really, I'm currently looking at a ~ 70,000mi FR TDi on a 54 plate, around the £5k mark.

What should I be on the lookout for?

The only thing I know about is the cambelt change, but other than that I'm a complete novice at giving a used car the once over!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
have a look in the FAQ section as there is a thread on the common problems/things to look for

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
have a look in the FAQ section as there is a thread on the common problems/things to look for

I've read that, so I'm aware of the things that might go wrong, I'm more thinking about things to look for / test on the actual test drive itself.

Obviously I'll do the whole 'making sure every switch/control/dial/feature' works, but as an example, if I was buying an ST, I'd make sure to listen for a clicking driveshaft whilst taking up load.

Is there a similar 'test drive' list for the Ibiza?

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
make sure the clutch is not slipping when underload, knocking suspension mounts, make sure its pulling in every gear and check for excessive smoke, check for full service history.

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
make sure the clutch is not slipping when underload, knocking suspension mounts, make sure its pulling in every gear and check for excessive smoke, check for full service history.

That's great, much appreciated!

PS Can you remove the link to your car from your sig? It's already tempting me to start modding and I haven't even bought it yet :D

EDIT: How would I recognise knocking suspension mounts, or is it just a really obvious knocking?

Last edited:

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
That's great, much appreciated!

PS Can you remove the link to your car from your sig? It's already tempting me to start modding and I haven't even bought it yet :D

EDIT: How would I recognise knocking suspension mounts, or is it just a really obvious knocking?

the way foward is in my thread :cartman:

its quite obvious to know if they are knocking on uneven/bumpy roads. its a good point to lever some cash off and if your mechanically minded will cost about £20 for a set of front top mounts :) just will involve stripping down the front suspension to fit them

Hudson

May 15, 2007
Bilston.
Mate in all afirness and the experience i've had with my 06 plate fr... I'd suggest lookign else where.

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Mate in all afirness and the experience i've had with my 06 plate fr... I'd suggest lookign else where.

sound like you had a bad one! i had a shocking example of a mk4 with my 1.2 but the FR has been awesome!

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
sound like you had a bad one! i had a shocking example of a mk4 with my 1.2 but the FR has been awesome!

Well, fingers crossed. I'm taking a 54 plate for a test drive at the weekend.

With any model I suppose you get the odd nightmare (god knows my ST has given me enough stick when there are hundreds of others on the forums that have been trouble free).

Just luck of the draw I guess.

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Well, fingers crossed. I'm taking a 54 plate for a test drive at the weekend.

With any model I suppose you get the odd nightmare (god knows my ST has given me enough stick when there are hundreds of others on the forums that have been trouble free).

Just luck of the draw I guess.

i work for BMW and lets face it we get the odd bad £70,000 7 series of course your going to get the odd bad £13,000 ibiza.

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
i work for BMW and lets face it we get the odd bad £70,000 7 series of course your going to get the odd bad £13,000 ibiza.

Never mind a £70K BMW, just look at Clarkson's non-functioning Ford GT (yeah, I know, it's a Ford, but it's hardly a Ka).

teepee4bh

Returning old timer
Apr 19, 2009
Durham

which suspension mounts knock? ours has started doing it when turning left. sounds like spring is moving in top mount type of noise.

teepee4bh

Returning old timer
Apr 19, 2009
Durham
drop links ok

anti roll bar bushes ok

noticed a mark on steering arm and corresponding one on roll bar - maybe

Only leaves top mounts now amd only happens at slow speeds and usually when turnng
or parking

[:@]

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.