Buying SEAT Ibiza 1.4 TSi Cupra (Advise Please!!)

Good buy?

• Total voters
Jun 19, 2019
So today i saw a
2010 SEAT Ibiza 1.4 TSi Cupra
Never failed an MOT
Full Service History
Currently has 64k Miles

Its being sold by a local Evans Halshaw Garage. Wondered if its a good buy or not as i have heard about the many problems with this car (my friend has one) and was going to stay away from them but unsure as it is from a reputable garage so unsure based on the history of the car if its a good buy or not.

Someone please give me some advise

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well at least you seem to know about the possible issues with running one of them, and seem to be happy enough to buy one, so why bother asking other people's opinions, if you desire owning one so much, just do it and live with the consequences if and when they start to turn up.

Jun 19, 2019
Well at least you seem to know about the possible issues with running one of them, and seem to be happy enough to buy one, so why bother asking other people's opinions, if you desire owning one so much, just do it and live with the consequences if and when they start to turn up.
Well thats my point i wanted to get other members advise to see if it is a high chance i will encounter some problems or if its only a 50/50 chance, currently im debating between this and an audi a3 1.8t 2007 but prefer the looks of this car however if it is going to cost me a lot in repairing problems on this then ill just go with the audi

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Well thats my point i wanted to get other members advise to see if it is a high chance i will encounter some problems or if its only a 50/50 chance, currently im debating between this and an audi a3 1.8t 2007 but prefer the looks of this car however if it is going to cost me a lot in repairing problems on this then ill just go with the audi
I do agree with Rum in a bit of of a less strict father tone lol . But my opinion is the seat will be better than an 07 audi. People blbuy them cars but don't want to pay to due to expensive servicing from dealers etc. But yes if your heart truly wants one of these go for it. It will be hard to give it as 50/50 if that or this will go. There will be people out there who have had no issues at all and some who would say DON'T BUY! lol. I would get this car if it's something you've always wanted and as long as you know you can afford to fix / at least patch up the issues to keep the car going then your covered. But don't buy it hoping to not have to go into your pocket or into your own tool kit to fix yourself.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
I would also. In the initial stages it all seems good from the outset. Buying from a dealer is better. Check if they do and inclusive 30 day - 3month warranty (and what it covers) or check your rights for 14 day return period. In that time get it Check out all the "known" issues so that you can either return the car. Or that they can be fixed by the warranty they may offer.

Jun 19, 2019
I would also. In the initial stages it all seems good from the outset. Buying from a dealer is better. Check if they do and inclusive 30 day - 3month warranty (and what it covers) or check your rights for 14 day return period. In that time get it Check out all the "known" issues so that you can either return the car. Or that they can be fixed by the warranty they may offer.

Ah yes i will definitely look into this, do you have any idea how expensive the usual problems are to fix (i know there are various different problems) but if you know roughly. Just want to ensure i can afford it as comparing it to the audi if there is lots of stuff that will most likely go wrong and ill need to replace then ill just go with the audi as i know as long as i service it regularly i most likely will have less problems with it

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Ah yes i will definitely look into this, do you have any idea how expensive the usual problems are to fix (i know there are various different problems) but if you know roughly. Just want to ensure i can afford it as comparing it to the audi if there is lots of stuff that will most likely go wrong and ill need to replace then ill just go with the audi as i know as long as i service it regularly i most likely will have less problems with it
To be honest, I have only heard that these cars can have issues at times. But not sure what they are as I'm on here for my moms seat ibiza but it's not a cupra, just an SC Model. If you know them list them out and I'll see if I can speak from expierence with other cars + may help someone else looking to buy.

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Many,many of these cars have engine problems....severe problems.
Because of this the MOT history is not relevant,cars don't fail because the engine isn't running right.
I would say Evans Halshaw is a car supermarket and are unlikely to know that much about the cars they sell.
A 3 month warranty would not be enough with a car like this.Problems generally start with high oil usage and by the time you are aware of this the warranty period could be over.
Personally I wouldn't take the risk.
If you are really keen on getting one of these cars then I would only get one from a Seat dealer who can tell you the full history of the car (like it's already had a new engine!) and give it a comprehensive 12 month warranty.

Reactions: everson38

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just so that you know what typically happens when an Audi A1, VW Polo GTI, SEAT Ibiza Cupra or Skoda Fabia VRS fitted with one of these engines, supplied by a VW Group main dealership goes wrong - when all else fails and the car is taken back in and a replacement or a return of the original cash paid has happened, these car tend to be sent to auction with engine issue not disclosed, so get snapped up by the used car trade and once again appear for sale to some unsuspecting buyer with a short warranty.
Also, when bought from a VW Group main dealership and given a VW Group used car warranty, too many claims are being dismissed as that engine's issues are already known about - which does not seem right?

Reactions: everson38

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Just so that you know what typically happens when an Audi A1, VW Polo GTI, SEAT Ibiza Cupra or Skoda Fabia VRS fitted with one of these engines, supplied by a VW Group main dealership goes wrong - when all else fails and the car is taken back in and a replacement or a return of the original cash paid has happened, these car tend to be sent to auction with engine issue not disclosed, so get snapped up by the used car trade and once again appear for sale to some unsuspecting buyer with a short warranty.
Also, when bought from a VW Group main dealership and given a VW Group used car warranty, too many claims are being dismissed as that engine's issues are already known about - which does not seem right?

Well stated,to put it another way,knowing all the facts,these cars should be virtually unsaleable.

TBH it's a major scandal,but one which VAG seem to have managed to cover up quite well.

It needs some investigative journalism,I think.

F1

Aug 7, 2017
So today i saw a
2010 SEAT Ibiza 1.4 TSi Cupra
Never failed an MOT
Full Service History
Currently has 64k Miles

Its being sold by a local Evans Halshaw Garage. Wondered if its a good buy or not as i have heard about the many problems with this car (my friend has one) and was going to stay away from them but unsure as it is from a reputable garage so unsure based on the history of the car if its a good buy or not.

Someone please give me some advise
I would only buy the CTHE engine one as it's a lot more reliable. They are getting rare now so hurry up and get one. 14-16 plate is best.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.