Calling 16v'ers!

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Hi guys

I currently own a 2.0 8v which im very happy with.

Im pondering replacing it with a 16v and was wondering what owners think about the 16v, ie are there any particular faults with the 16v to be aware of, or anything in particular to look out for.

Also, what kind of mpg do you get? and try not to swear responding to that one!

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
you'll hate the gear change on the valver,its cable and unless the cables are new,it will feel like a stirring a cauldron.though short shifts are available

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
stiff clutch / wobbly gearchange / constant rattly noises to scare the crap out of ya

pottering around town you'll wonder why the hell you bothered

open her right up now and then and usually get a WOooooo ye!! now i know why

Also, what kind of mpg do you get? and try not to swear responding to that one!

on long steady runs it's not so bad, short journeys well we don't talk about that :)

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
bollocks...i think that has convinced me to get one!

I take it they have that throaty burble roar exhaust note, my 8v cupra had that, and i miss it!

this 8v is nice but a little too sensible

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
this 8v is nice but a little too sensible

won't take long to see that one in reverse - 16v is nice but the 8v is more sensible :p

Thats about it :lol:

just today boss moved mine and asked for wider clutch pedal so he could use both feet (drives a range rover auto all day - lol)

on way home in traffic and realised damn speedo bulb flickering so i couldn't see the fuel gauge (not that i want to see it) and had a quick little spurt when the chance opened up - ooooh ye

i live possibly 3 miles from work but on any given night can do a 10 mile detour before i go home just for the hell of it.

Last edited:

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
I agree with everthing !! haha, some of it is staight off the you know you have a mk2 when.......funny as....

I have both an 8v and 16v and short trips i get in the 8v....for going to see the inlaws down the m42 i get in the 16v.

I drive my 16v every day to work as my misses is the 8v owner....at any chance i get ill take the 8v to work as it feels like i could drive it all day long.....but as soon as some punk ass mother foooker does something i dont like i pray to god that was in my 16v....you just cant beat that rooooar that it gives you.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
i live possibly 3 miles from work but on any given night can do a 10 mile detour before i go home just for the hell of it.

i used to find myself doing just that,then i went diesel. i get home as quick as possible now:(

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
oh and MPG...my 8v has a boost valve so does about 28 /29.....the 16v to work i am lucky if i get 29...16v on the motor way....easy 35/36/37

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
whats your mpg on the '2' setting on the mfa thing?

I had to look for a laugh

distance : 110 miles (only been back in it 2 weeks)

avg speed : 14mph (don't go far in traffic)

avg mpg : 17.4mpg

was wondering where the £30 out my wallet had gone :rolleyes:

currently winter, short drive to work in loads of traffic (dont think i've managed 3rd yet) and after it took me too long to rebuild it it spends 90% of it's current time burbling away til she's warmed up

Don't panic though as proper use will see nearer 30mpg

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
It has torque but its just that there is alot more power higher up in the rev range TBH.
Pulling away it has more torque than my toledo TDI but thats down to turbo lag :whistle:

you'd think owning two i'd somehow know this? :p

dave j

I have a 2.0 8v and a 2.0 16v Toledo but I only drive the 8v at present. I bought the 8v first but always wanted a 16v so bought one when it came up. The 16v is great when you give it some revs but everyday driving its just like the 8v to me really. I am probably going to stick with the 8v as its a better car alround, and its the more sensible option... god I must be getting old to say that!

If I kept the 16v I would probably get some points on my license as its too tempting to floor it!:lol:

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
They should sell something linked to speakers so that when you accelerate in an 8v you get the 16v sound!

I could just have the best of both worlds and do a chavers mod, that is stick 16v stickers on it!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.