cambelt change questions

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
i have searched but to no avail,

i had my cambelt and pump and tensioners changed at 60,000

and read sumwhere about using vag com to set the timing back up, now i know this wasnt done,

it seems to run fine , perhaps slightly lumpier first thing, and seems to smoke abit lately approx 6000 miles later, but this could be because i now have a decat , when i put my foot down , i have a slight weap from the EGR valve could this be caked up and cause the smoke

im also hearing a noticable hiss noise on hard acceleration, asumed it was just the pd150 as other posts have mentioned , but am thinking could it be boost leaks - how do i check

cheers in advance

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Timing set by Vagcom after a belt change, never heard this. From a mechanical point the timing is set by the vernier when you set it back up, though a belt change should not really disturb it, using a 6mm drill bit to lock the vernier in position before taking off the belt is how I have seen it done.
Hissing noise is probably down to the decat, you should hear mine when I floor it and even on idle it sound like a snake on steroids.
Glynn

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
if it's a PD you can check but not adjust with vag-com you will need to hunt for the relevant block - the range is -6 to 0 to +6 0 is spot on but up to +/- 6 is acceptable:)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.