can cupra be converted to gas

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
hi techies
heres a good one for you,can the leon 2.0tfsi cupra be converted to run on lpg as well as petrol......if so do you know where this conversion can be done,as if not too expensive would be seriously worth it as long as you can switch when you want to petrol

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
hi techies
heres a good one for you,can the leon 2.0tfsi cupra be converted to run on lpg as well as petrol......if so do you know where this conversion can be done,as if not too expensive would be seriously worth it as long as you can switch when you want to petrol

pretty much any petrol can be and switchable but can be expensive and i'd only suggest it if you are keeping it a loooong time

the conversion costs are expensive but you'll save on fuel eventually then anything you gain will be lost when you try and sell it on

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
would be keeping long term ,anyone got any idea how much it would cost .as you say you would eventually benefit long term.......one question i forgot is would it shorten liffe of engine any?

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
No doubt it will shorten the life of the motor. If you see how hot a petrol tfsi can get, you can assume gas will do.
So it can be done but your warranty will end immedately and one should keep a budget for a motor rebuild after approx. 100.000 miles.

Biggest downside is that gas conversions work best in combination with a more calm drivestyle and that is not where a Cupra is designed for.....

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
IIRC with a gas conversion you need to start on petrol and switch to gas once warmed up.

Also the gas tanks a very small, like 25 liters and they go in the spare wheel well.

ModifyItAll

IIRC with a gas conversion you need to start on petrol and switch to gas once warmed up.

Also the gas tanks a very small, like 25 liters and they go in the spare wheel well.

I have been looking into a satisfactory LPG system for my Cupra. Fuel prices have risen to 1.50 euros per liter:cry: from 1.02 and i am pretty sick of it. I have talked to a few different shops that deal with Italian, Turkish, Dutch systems and so on. Some of them told me that the systems they were dealing don't have anything out for the VAG FSI engines yet, while others told me that the TFSI is no problem whatsoever. :confused:

Petrol prices rose drastically in the last 6 months [:@] or so and everyone is going crazy with installing the LPG kits. Problem with this is that demand got high. Waiting times to get a kit installed reached 3 months over the summer. This caused every backyard mechanic to go to a few seminars and start installing the kits, resulting in sloppy jobs and problematic installs. This is the reason I was very cautious and did not want to rush into getting the kit put on the car

I will be visiting another shop soon that I have heard from recent customers only the best reviews. They deal with a company called Prins. The Prins LPG system has a system they call ValveCare which "oils" the valves so they don't get crispy.

As far as the gas tanks go, you may have the tank fitted in where the reserve tire fits. The tank holds in the range of 55 liters, as much as your petrol tank.

Ill keep you guys posted when i find out more info - if your interested

Oh BTW, after doing the math, the LPG conversion should have paid itself off in about 15,000 - 20,000 km's. That's about the mileage i do in one year. Anything after that can be seen as savings. Price of LPG here in Greece is right around .68 - .70 Euro cents/liter.

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle
whooooa....er sir can i convert my beautiful car into a prius?....NO YOU
WILL LOSE YOUR SOUL! Yes indeed, I would more rather get the Bus......the end :D

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I've always heard that running on gas sucks the power and it's best on bigger engines (V8's etc) but also remember a car in my mates garage getting the head done because the gas is hard on the valves or something and the valve seats were Knackered:shrug:. I think any petrol car can run on gas but best to do some good research first.:D

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
I know a (german) cupra that is running on gas. Expensive conversion (about 2000+ Euro's including flash lube). I't got it's tank built away in te spare tyre compartment (quite small).
It is running extremely well, It's tuned and the car can is extremely fast (LPG has a very high octane number and modern Lpg installations even produce more instead of less power) but heat indeed is a problem (a twintercooler and some extra cooling measures where fitted to keep temperature within range).
Imho. if you want gas Cupra is not the right car, a very light right foot is needed to make the engine last and that is not what the car is asking for (in other words swap it for a diesel.....).

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I have been experimenting with "brown gas", but you need to produce at least 1.5ltr per/min [on diesel and petrol] - plenty of set ups on you tube. But to get real benefit the way the gas is produced need to be linked to the ECU Maf parameters to get the most out of the setup, and I do not have enough skills for that !?@

vt-marty

Manual is for Peasants
Nov 21, 2007
Marske by the Sea
Yep, if I had 2K budget for an LPG fit to a Cupra, I'd put them both towards the nearest equivalent diesel...

totally agree
the company i work for had in the past a fleet of vectras and signums on lpg. they were forever going into limp mode and needing taken back to installer....
one vectra they had fromnew did 90k miles before they actually fitted the kit. the car never missed a beat before fitting the kit and was NEVER right after the installation.

my take on all this is to buy a proper factory developed and built TDi if your worried about bills. yes you'll pay slightly more for teh car upfront, and a fraction more at the pumps but you will cover 2 thirds more mileage on that tank compared to a petrol for the same fillup cost.

and a factory tdi has had literally millions if not billions spent on development where as a decent lpg kit is a 'one size fits all' type of setup....

avoid like the plague i say.

ModifyItAll

totally agree
the company i work for had in the past a fleet of vectras and signums on lpg. they were forever going into limp mode and needing taken back to installer....
one vectra they had fromnew did 90k miles before they actually fitted the kit. the car never missed a beat before fitting the kit and was NEVER right after the installation.

my take on all this is to buy a proper factory developed and built TDi if your worried about bills. yes you'll pay slightly more for teh car upfront, and a fraction more at the pumps but you will cover 2 thirds more mileage on that tank compared to a petrol for the same fillup cost.

and a factory tdi has had literally millions if not billions spent on development where as a decent lpg kit is a 'one size fits all' type of setup....

avoid like the plague i say.

That's exactly the point. To NOT use a "one size fits all" kit. Some of the good LPG systems are developing kits that are designed especially for the vehicle, that's what I am looking for. They have done and are continuing to do the research and development.

I am sure if you guys look deeply into these LPG systems (the good ones) you too will start seeing it.

The problems you guys were listing previously is most likely cases in which people did not know how to properly install the kits. The result being what I said earlier, problems with burnt valves and engines not running properly.

BTW, I have been reading nothing but problems SEAT owners are having with their TDI on this very here forum and like you said VAG has spend millions if not billions on R&D. Of course this only may be a fraction of the cars on the road, but still.....

Last edited by a moderator:

ModifyItAll

Yep, if I had 2K budget for an LPG fit to a Cupra, I'd put them both towards the nearest equivalent diesel...

That's the problem, I would love to sell the car in order to buy a diesel. The thing is that with the new tax reform, taxes have gone up on 2.0 liter cars and it would not be easy to sell. I bought the Cupra for 30,000 Euros. If I were to sell my 2 year old car I would have to struggle to get 20,000 Euros for it, and who knows how long I would have to wait to get that. That's a loss of 5k per year, just tooo much!!

If all works well, I would have a car that covers my needs and is light on the pocket. Running costs would probably still be cheaper than a diesel or about the same. Diesel here is 1.30 / liter. Like i said earlier .70 for LPG.

vt-marty

Manual is for Peasants
Nov 21, 2007
Marske by the Sea
The problems you guys were listing previously is most likely cases in which people did not know how to properly install the kits. The result being what I said earlier, problems with burnt valves and engines not running properly.

fair pont these cars im talking about were say 6 years ago and lpg will possibly have advanced a bit since then.
but i woudl take MASSIVE convincing to come round to the idea...

as for problems with the Seat TDI's i woudl hazard a guess that most problems are dpf related and most of those problems are due to drivers not driving far / long enough journeys...

anyway, goodluck, id be interested to hear of a successful kit install on a cupra.

:)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members