can i split my headlamps and paint the surrounds black

vetec

hi,i was wondering if anyone had tried to split the headlamp lens and spray the surrounds black like a cupra lamp and reseal the lamp .would this work or is it a bad idea? the bodyshop at my work would be doing it for me.ta ;)

IbizaAlex

AKS tuning
May 11, 2008
Bedford
After looking at the glue used on the headlights, it doesnt soften up like TT headlights do when they get split so they cant be split as far as i can see.

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
There was some mention before about putting them in the oven to soften the sealent and be able to split them...hae a search for it...

up to you if you give it a go though..

Ethan040

Jan 27, 2009
Nottingham
Could you cut into it? with a fine stanley blade? i like the look of the cupra lights id like to do this to my lights but i remember doing it to my golf gti lights and they where allways steaming up no matter how many times i sealed them they came apart with a hairdryer though.

vetec

lamps

the bodyshop lad reckoned he,d done it on cars before,and said he lets the lamps bake in the booth for a while and uses windscreen bond when re assembling them,i might get a couple of spare lamps just in case and give it a go,i,m guessing cupra lamps aint cheap?:confused:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
twin reflector or single ? i think last time i saw some they were twin but chrome and £75 odd

Apr 15, 2009
Midlands
ive done this for many different cars but most the glue had gone real soft

just wack them in the oven and if the glue doesnt seem to soften once its hot, you will still be able to seperate the lights but it will be tougher

youll need to remove all glue and use some sealer to reseal them after

vetec

headlamps

i,m gonna give it a go ,you only live once eh? i,ll let you know how it goes.probably in the next couple of weeks .:)

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
It can be done 100%

I want to do this but waiting for soneome to figure out what gas mark I should put it on and how long it should bake berfore serving

vetec

what temp

i guess i,m lucky as i work right next to the spray booth oven so i can chuck them in there,not sure about the oven at home though,remember its not a sunday roast!:lol: hows about a heat gun?

Apr 15, 2009
Midlands
gas mark 6

preheat the oven for 10 mins then cook the lights for around 3-4 minutes but keep checking them whilst they are in there

how i do mine and have never had an issue

sonic

R083RT
Nov 19, 2004
milton keynes
ive done it to mine, painted the inside metallic black, looks awesome. the glue doesnt really soften much when heated tho so you have to break parts of the surround to split it open.
i put it in oven at bout 40-50 degrees for 5 mins at a time untill it was soft, then just got to be VERY patient and carefull!

vetec

black lamps

cheers m8,did the chrome part rub down ok for the paint to stick and you got any pics?:)

sonic

R083RT
Nov 19, 2004
milton keynes
i struggle to get pics on here but if you look at the " show your fellow cupra owners your engine bay " thread then theres a pic of mine there and you can see the headlight.
yea i put the chrome mask in a bowl of hot soapy water and used like wire wool stuff from our bodyshop to rub all the chrome off and the paint stuck perfect :)
its well worth the hard work!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.