can you tell if water pump has been changed

Apr 24, 2007
W. yorkshire
Is it possible to tell if the water pump has been change just from appearence?

My golf (86k miles) appears to have had a can belt change but no record of whater pump change
so was wondering if you could tell from appearence once its fitted

cos 1 i dont want it going
but 2 i cant afford to be changing something that doesnt need changing

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
For the cost of the part any garage worth it's salt would have recommended the water pump gets changed at the same time......maybe worth a call to the people who changed the cam belt.

Re-reading you say 'appears' to have had a cam belt change.........you need to pretty sure it has!

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
i wasnt sure that mine had been changed so i canged mine anyway but then found that it had a metal impeller and the pump wasnt a metal impellar, bugger.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I agree that you should change the water pump on the first cambelt change - I did, and the one they took out has plastic impeller blades, replaced with metal. However, it isn't part of a standard cambelt-change service.

On most Leon engines you can certainly feel the water pump blades after you've taken the thermostat off, but whether you can see them, even with the aid of a mirror or two, is more difficult to say. The thermostat housing is tucked away behind the alternator, air conditioning compressor and power steering pump, and not easy to see.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.