Car Keys Road Test

• Thread starter Deleted member 12175
  • Start date

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
Ok, more constructively this time ;)
Who takes a hot hatch around a track and blames it for "not being a sports car, nor being easy to live with etc..." (close enough quote) isn't that the FR/hot hatch niche? Tsk tsk

Deleted member 12175

Thats what i thought. I thought he was being really negative about the whole car. I cant comment on it till i get mine though

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
Ok I'll try to add something constructive to this thread.
Reasons I don't like the review:
1) It's virtually all negative - sure it handles well on a track, but not that many people who buy one will take it even near a track. It's meant to be a "Road" test, not a track test according to the review title. From what I could tell he'd taken it on about 500 metres worth of actual road and then given up. And that was after eating a decent-sized lunch.

I don't believe this for a second.
But since then I've taken the TDI FR through towns and along dual-carriageways and across several other very different types of tarmac, and I have not found any surface over which its ride is remotely acceptable.

Why doesn't he just buy a Rover 75 if he likes driving a mobile armchair? I'm sorry but I just disagree. I will be the first to admit that the FR's ride is harsh at best over quite a lot of roads. It rattles your teeth and jolts you up and down moreso than any other car I've owned/driven. However, it's by no means the worst. I had a few friends years ago that modded their cars or had sporty versions - they seemed much harder, and were not better handling....

Moving onto the handling... I'm no expert in this field either, but the car inspires confidence. I know that I can point the wheels in the direction I want to go and it'll do what I want. Even bumpy, twisty roads don't seem to be problematic.. Sure *I* might get bumped about a bit, but the car holds the road superbly. Doesn't seem to matter what the road surface is doing, the leon will grab hold of it and see me safe.

I've never tried with the ESP/TC off - don't really want to. It's the first car I've owned that had it and it's awesome. It's not like I'm thrashing the car round corners and driving dangerously, but I can "attack", if that's the right word, corners in a way I've never been able to.

Driving the leon FR puts a smile on my face each and every time (except for sunday when I managed to kerb two wheels at once :mad:

Then we come to straight line performance - sort of 20-90mph. The car is (compared to what i've been used to) seriously fast. 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears are all amazing. The car's begrudingly happy to pootle along at 50mph in 6th behind some idiot who shouldn't be in front of me ;) but as soon as there's a safe place to overtake...drop it a few cogs, put your foot down and it's BYEEEEEEEE!

I'm not too sure I'm in love with the brakes - they seem very bitey at low levels of pedal pressure, and although they'll always stop me well, they just seem a bit... strange. It's not as though they fade, but the initial *bite* doesn't seem to persist unless you press the pedal a bit harder. I'm used to fairly crap brakes, though, so maybe it's just me.

The visibility is pretty poor, I'll admit that - the A and C pillars certainly don't help, but FFS it's not the end of the world scenario that guy portrayed it as.. just move your head a bit, y'know? Maybe look over your shoulder once in a while when overtaking.

I really wish I had rear parking sensors - but then 3 out of the last 4 of my cars have had awful rear distance vision... i.e. it's really hard to judge just how far back you can go before you hit something. Still, again, it's not the end of the world to stop short, get out and have a look how much space you have behind you and back up a bit more.

It's easier than reversing a van anyway.

He didn't mention any options available for it. I have the bi-xenons and I love them. Next car will have to have them if I can find one/afford it.

Oh well, the interior is pretty poor, but it's cheap - a lot cheaper than the equivalent Golf/A3... the extra cost for the golf isn't justified, and I guess the same can be said about the A3.
It's got cheap plastics, but not awful.

It'll do, though. You pays your money you gets the goods. I'd rather have more money for other things than a couple of extra comforts. You get more as standard in the leon anyway.

I would recommend this car - not to anyone, perhaps not to most people, it's very "marmite"... but i'm one person that loves it. Perhaps I'll change my tune if/when I have problems, but 15,000 miles after I picked it up it's still being good to me - and you'd expect that.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Car reviews are utter bollo@ks.

That guys view of a good car maybe completely different to my view of a good car. So who is right? me or him? neither are correct, cos its a only an opinion.

Yeh sure, my mum comments on my suspension everytime she gets in my car and moans that she can feel all the road abnormalities (sp?) - but thats how I like my car to feel, I like to have feedback from the road, through the suspension and steering, feedback is good and I find it makes it easier to drive a car through its paces.

Visability in the rear-qtr section? Erm...........wing-mirrors? Pretty much show down both sides of the car etc.

This guy obviously doesnt like the new Leon, making a video about it is pointless :)

There is only one proper way of doing a car review, its called a test drive :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members