Car shaking

ian_106

Jul 14, 2007
I have a 2013 1.6 deisel Altea, I only have this problem when driving on a motorway and its something that comes and goes, I can be doing 70mph on cruise with no issues.
It seems between 40-60mph the car makes a sould like I have a flat tyre and today for the first time you could feel a vibration through the car, this would last for a few minutes then the car would be all fine again, over a 150 mile trip it happend a few times.

Anyone have an idea what the issue might be ?

Ivan Ryban

Dec 9, 2022
I would start with the tyre pressures, check the tyre surface, wheel balance, check bearings, at least hand feeling when car is lifted, then possibly look at arm silentblocks and springs/shock absorbers? Alternatively, something external could be messing with your wheel? Or even auxiliary car parts (mudguard? etc.).

ian_106

Jul 14, 2007
I would start with the tyre pressures, check the tyre surface, wheel balance, check bearings, at least hand feeling when car is lifted, then possibly look at arm silentblocks and springs/shock absorbers? Alternatively, something external could be messing with your wheel? Or even auxiliary car parts (mudguard? etc.).
Car has 4 newish tyres just been serviced and MOT'd, I've booked it in Monday for the garage to have a look.

Ivan Ryban

Dec 9, 2022
The car might have been alright on MOT last week, but there are parts, such as wheel bearings, that are fine until they let go, and then they need to be changed immediately. But I do not think they would cause vibrations as a main symptom.. Did you locate the source of the vibration and the sound? Is it the wheel at all? I believe a mechanic will surely identify the issue when he drives it, but I am still curious what the cause could be. Be so kind and share the result with us? ;)

Reactions: ian_106

ian_106

Jul 14, 2007
The car has had this problem for a months way before the last MOT, the fault only develops on the motorway so once every two or three months when I travel back to london and because you can drive down the local dual carrageway at 70 and the car perform fine nothing was found the last time it was in the garage.
It was only yesterday that the fault developed into a vibration/shudder rather than just a sound.

Ivan Ryban

Dec 9, 2022
Where does the sound come from? Is it the wheels? Is it not the engine area? And the vibration was proprotional to speed, or engine rpm? Was it like the wheen vibrating (damaged tyre), or engine vibrating (e.g. dual mass flywheel)?

ian_106

Jul 14, 2007
Issued turned out to be a stuck brake caliper so all front brakes replaced.

Ivan Ryban

Dec 9, 2022
How simple. It would take some time for me to get to guessing at brake calipers. Thanks for sharing, I hope it solves you troubles!

Reactions: ian_106
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.