• Hey Guest👍👎 We're looking for reviews of your local CUPRA or SEAT Dealership - it's quick and easy to do: Leave a review now
I had a similar problem on my first cupra when I bought it. Fuel pump didn't prime and it would over but not fire. Look at the dash when the igniton is on and I think on mine the EPC light and Traction control (i think) lights didnt come on. I replaced the ignition relay and fuel pump relay under the steering wheel and it fired up. I used the car but it wouldnt start sometimes. Its a common problem with the ignition switch wearing out and you have to replace it. Once I did that its perfect. So turn your ignition on and check you have all the lights on your dash you do normally. If EPC and traction control arnt on an it doesnt fire that sounds like the problem.

Let me know how you get on
 
any news on this?? did you get it sorted??

I had a similar problem on my first cupra when I bought it. Fuel pump didn't prime and it would over but not fire. Look at the dash when the igniton is on and I think on mine the EPC light and Traction control (i think) lights didnt come on. I replaced the ignition relay and fuel pump relay under the steering wheel and it fired up. I used the car but it wouldnt start sometimes. Its a common problem with the ignition switch wearing out and you have to replace it. Once I did that its perfect. So turn your ignition on and check you have all the lights on your dash you do normally. If EPC and traction control arnt on an it doesnt fire that sounds like the problem.

Let me know how you get on

Cheers for the info guys!

I have checked and my 167 relay (Fuel pump) does not always click on with the ignition and the fuel pump does not prime now. Also after I reset the ecu and then drive to work and 167 relay is really hot! So I think its either sticking on or its just knackered. New one should be with me today.

As for the ignition switch where/what is that???

Cheers guys.
 
Right new relay fitted... still no start after first ignition.

next up ignition switch.

Heres a video if anyone can see any blatent problems from the dash lights.

 
Ignition switch ordered. Fingers corssed.

EDIT: does the ignition swotch have to be programmed?
 
Last edited:
This may not be the issue here but when my grandad had issues with his A4 it would start then cut out after a few seconds like yours - it turned out to be the immobiliser.
May be worth replacing the battery in your fob & check the plastic surrount bit on the ignition barrel that reads the key.
 
This may not be the issue here but when my grandad had issues with his A4 it would start then cut out after a few seconds like yours - it turned out to be the immobiliser.
May be worth replacing the battery in your fob & check the plastic surrount bit on the ignition barrel that reads the key.

Will try that also, Cheers Alex
 
From the picture of the dash I still don't think you have all the right lights on, I replaced the fuel pump relay and another which I thought was the ignition, number 100 relay possibly?
I'm picking my new mk3 Cupra up tomorrow morning so if you text me your phone number I'll take a picture of what lights should be on and text it you. But im sure you still don't have all the lights on the dash as this is how I could tell when it would start or not.
 
I'm at the end of my tether with this now, have tried everything I can think of.

Going to give Jabba a call monday and try and get my ECU sent back to them to have it checked. Can not think of anything else to try.

Petrol pump no longer primes on first click of the ignition, codes are being thrown all over the place and the car only starts once you disconnect and reconnect the ECU.

Give up!!!
 
I'm at the end of my tether with this now, have tried everything I can think of.

Going to give Jabba a call monday and try and get my ECU sent back to them to have it checked. Can not think of anything else to try.

Petrol pump no longer primes on first click of the ignition, codes are being thrown all over the place and the car only starts once you disconnect and reconnect the ECU.

Give up!!!

Ahh do I miss these problems. My a3 had these problems. On vag com most codes were pointing to the abs Ecu as faulty. Replaced with a new one and was fine for a while. After that it came back on and it turned out somehow that the steering angle sensor needed a clean. There was too many things I did to tell you what actually worked but just give us a list of the fault codes and go from there. If the car turns over then rule out ignition switch
 
Kyle I've sent you a text, the epc light should come on with that lot. Note how yours comes on mid cranking dimly then goes off when you stop? I think it's a possible relay issue
 
Ahh do I miss these problems. My a3 had these problems. On vag com most codes were pointing to the abs Ecu as faulty. Replaced with a new one and was fine for a while. After that it came back on and it turned out somehow that the steering angle sensor needed a clean. There was too many things I did to tell you what actually worked but just give us a list of the fault codes and go from there. If the car turns over then rule out ignition switch


Cheers mate, I will check this sensor today to make sure its not filthy or anything.

Kyle I've sent you a text, the epc light should come on with that lot. Note how yours comes on mid cranking dimly then goes off when you stop? I think it's a possible relay issue


What relay though :( I'm going to try and check with a friend who has a polo by swapping out relay after relay to see if there is a problem.

cheers for the text miller.

Car only seems to start now if you hold your foot on the gas while cranking it over.
 
Might be worth checking around the injector/fpr area?

Im guessing Jabba fitted a 4bar fpr for you before they mapped it
 
Might be worth checking around the injector/fpr area?

Im guessing Jabba fitted a 4bar fpr for you before they mapped it

What am I checking for around that area berg, leaks?

Yes they did put a 4bar fpr on for me.

Fecking car.
 
Id just check all the electricals are connected an check the fpr is fitted properly, vac lines etc

Just a case of ruling things out before you have to spend money
 
I will have a look berg cheers.

I'm going to try and replace the 100 relays but will check all round.

I think I have a cut in the wire on the left hand ABS sensor but the car has never failed to start in the 3 years of having it. Ever since the remap this has happened.

I'm not blaming anyone but its either an ECU problem or a huge coincidence.
 
Take it back to jabba and tell them
Get them to sort it

I would mate but I cant take another day off work to sit around :(

New development though, if I hold the 100 relay (The one that is in the far right down in the corner) and turn the ignition the car starts :confused:

This is either another coincidence or this is my problem, I love electrical problems and cars.
 
I have checked again after the footie and fiddling with the relay doesn't seem to do anything now... however I decided to check the ignition switch.

I try to turn it over... not luck

Disconnect the ignition switch, reconnect it and then try to turn over... car starts!

New one is arriving tomorrow so will attempt to fit it, going to be a tough job. Going to follow this http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3445064