• Hey Guest👍👎 We're looking for reviews of your local CUPRA or SEAT Dealership - it's quick and easy to do: Leave a review now
I am going to go and get genuine 167 and 109 (if we have them?) tomorrow and try them in my car.

If that fails think I'm maybe going to have to replace the ECU with another one...

Seems like the only 2 solutions after doing more google searching on the issue. Apparantly this happens all over the VAG scene, inc. diesels...
 
If it's the same problem with mine it's not the fuel pump as when it happens it runs perfectly once started..!

Tried what you did pushing the relays when it wasn't starting and it would fire up straight away. My relay is a 167 though... Also did you get OEM quality relays or cheaper ones?

For some reason When I pushed on the relay it started but was still hesitant so I ruled out the relay.

Yes I got the genuine 267 relay mate not any cheaper ones. Maybe try and borrow one from a friends vw. If you know anyone?

as i say im no expert but the epc light or any engine management lights may not illuminate because the pump works and is recieving and sending signals and works fine once started. the only thing confusing me is you say you dont hear it prime. has the car started since you stopped hearing it prime? i had a problem with a diesel car i had and what i did was turn ignition to prime pump and then re prime again and then start. it never started first turn of the key. it turned out to be a dirty fuel pump from the previous owner letting it stand for 3 years without it being started once.


If I disconect the ECU for a decent period of time, 10 minutes, upon reconnecting and turning the ignition to click 1 the pump primes and the car starts instantly.

Then when you kill it, try the first click there is no prime and then the car either fails to start or will start after gunning it over for about 15 seconds.

The pump is definatly working as I disconnect the lines in the engine bay and gun it over and ir fires the petrol out the lines, literally flys out as I found out :cartman:

I am going to go and get genuine 167 and 109 (if we have them?) tomorrow and try them in my car.

If that fails think I'm maybe going to have to replace the ECU with another one...

Seems like the only 2 solutions after doing more google searching on the issue. Apparantly this happens all over the VAG scene, inc. diesels...


Good luck with the relays mate!

I'm starting to draw to the conslusion that my ECU is probably ****ed, if Jabba can't find the fault or fix it then a friend of mine knows an ECU doctor who he will send it to for me and then either get a new one and have the chips swapped over as I don;t want to loose a decent £500 map :cry:
 
## UPDATE ##

ECU is at Jabba now. All joints have been rechecked and re soldered to make sure they are not dry and also it's going on the machine to do the checksums make sure everything pairs up.

*Fingers crossed*
 
Fingers crossed for yi bud! If this sorts it I might send mine down as it was originally a Jabba map on it... Interesting thought there!

I think mine is relays though because it works most of the time giving it a good push in the center of the block so must be pushing something on inside the block. Didn't get time to get them today as the car was starting anyway, but will get them soon.
 
## UPDATE ##

OK Here is the story so far guys...

Got my ECU back from Jabba all looking fine MAP checks out ok no problems there.

I only just got it back into the car today, fully charged the battery everything plugged back in turn ignition on and sod all happens :cry:

Now over the course of waiting for the ECU I have been playing about down with the electrics in the car and decided to separate the cluster of relays and connectors so I pull it all apart.

Now I decided to start the car with nothing down there attached and obviously the car never started. So I start putting each connection back bit by bit, relay by relay.

It gets to the point where all the relays are back in apart from the 100 relay next to the 167 relay. From a previous post you may remember me saying this one did seem to causes an issue but I disregarded it. Well. There seems to be no activity in this relay regardless when turning over the ignition and the car even fired up without it in so leads me to think there is a problem here.

I now play around with the plug and relay and after a bit of fiddling I decided to try the ignition and low and behold the EPC light comes one and the car fires up instantly. Im used to these false hopes so I unplug it and replug it in and the EPC light now comes on as normal. At this point I decided to unplug the ECU to reset and codes and then plug it back in. Car now starts perfect every time instantly!!! :ban:

I really have no idea what the problem was/is but the car is working now even after testing it about 20 times.

I am going to leave it over night to see if the car still starts because as I said I am used to the false hopes lol

Anyway sorry for the Essay but I hope (If this is the issue) can help a few more people out.

PS. Have purchased a LCR fuel pump :p
 
So basically you reckon Relay #100 is the problem not the ECU?

Yes, the one next to the 167 relay.

Whether its the relay or that part of the loom or where it feeds or whats connected to that specific part I don't know as I did a lot of tugging and pulling around when dismantling the loom down there.

But I would start there mate.

Car started fine today so was ok over night and then was fine when got to work. Just waiting for it to break again lol
 
Mine was perfect for 24 hours and now is playing up again but I'm sure the problem is to do with that relay or that section of the loom.

Need to source a wiring diagram.
 
Could you tell me what relays you have under there? I always hear a mention of relay 109 but I don't have one anyway... Wandering if I/we have the wrong one in there!

From memory mate I have


167 100
53 ?? 19 100

Definatly no 109 though. Whats really strange is that the 100 relay highlighted in red (The problem one) has absolutly no activity what so ever. Going to get a multimeter on it and see. also trying to source a wiring diagram.

Another strange thing I noticed is a sound. When the car is working there is a high pitched beep from the engine bay on first ignition click. When the car isn't working this no longer is there.

Does any one know what the high pitched beep is?
 
Last edited:
Another strange thing I noticed is a sound. When the car is working there is a high pitched beep from the engine bay on first ignition click. When the car isn't working this no longer is there.

Does any one know what the high pitched beep is?

i have no idea what the beep is but it does it at the same time as the pump primes when the ignition is turned to the point where the dash lights come on
 
i have no idea what the beep is but it does it at the same time as the pump primes when the ignition is turned to the point where the dash lights come on

Thats strange as my pimp refuses to prime, I have an LCR one coming soon so hopefully that maybe help the problem.

Possible my one is on its way out and drawing to much current and throwing the system.
 
Strange as i have a 405 relay in the place of your 55... Is it a long relay?

Yes thats the one sorry my memory isn't great, working in sub 0 temperatures using my blackberry as a torch didn't help.

the long one (405) is the furtherest left on the bottom row and then 3 more next to it. Then the 167 and 100 above it.

When you turn your ingition on or try to turn over does the 100 relay next to the 167 relay click or have any activity?
 
## UPDATE ##

Got my LCR fuel pump but I think its a 3bar one rather than a 4bar, still going to test it tomorrow see if any change.

Thinking about ditching my sport battery and getting a Bosch silver top instead, reason being when the car is playing up the only lights left on my dash when ignition is at first click is the battery one.

Also when it get warmer going to try strip the wiring down try and find the fault.
 
Ok had the car remapped at jabbasport yesterday all successful etc. etc.

Before I left I started the car up and it took a few cranks to start up, I though that its been a hard day on the RR and maybe its just a bit unhappy. Drove it home the 100miles and was fine the whole way.

Tried to start it this morning multiple times and nothing, just turns over without firing up

I have checked the following..

MAFM - fine

All fuses - fine

Fuel pump - does not seem to prime after first click on ignition but is defiantly pumping fuel as I took the line apart in the engine bay and it fires out when trying to turn over.

Spark - Took out the coil pack and put a spark plug in it and turned over. No spark until you try to stop turning it over.

I'm thinking my crank shaft sensor?

Should I remove the Eecu and check for water after yesterday was a wet drive home after having the ecu out at Jabbasport?

Any ideas? :(

check the battery
 
Battery is brand new mate, 3 months max?

Had it charging over night multiple times and charges up fully without fail.

Only thing I can imagine is that it's a sport battery, the varley redtop.