Car wont start 60% of the time (flywheel/clutch problem or something else?)

Oct 30, 2020
Hello guys, I'm new to the forum.

I have a Seat Leon 2.0TDI, 138HP, manual transmission, 2010 model year.
I bought this car used 4 months ago. It had 185000km on it.

Recently (2 months ago) I've been having this problem with starting up my car.
At first, it would not start 3 times out of 10.
Now - it wont start 3 times out of 5.

I dont seem to notice any strange noises or gear-shift problems while driving or in idle.
All my problems are when starting the car. It seems that the flywheel skips a tooth and it stalls.
Or maybe the starter motor teeth are worn down, I really dont know. I wanted a car electrician to get the starter motor out and check it out manually before changing my flywheel/clutch kit.

I've been to 4 different car-shops and 2 car electricians (I thought it was the starter motor).
But they all told me the flywheel is bad and I have to change it, together with the clutch kit, of course.

Here are some videos that I just recorded:

- It starts at first, at the second attempt it stalls:

- It wont start at the first three attempts, it does at the fourth.
Notice the camera/car shaking, my arm was resting on the window pane. It surely shakes the whole car when it doesnt start.

- This is recorded with an oped hood.
It starts nice on the first attempt, the second and third you can "feel" and hear the flywheel (I guess) strugling and lastly, it doesnt start on the 4 and the 5 attempt.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I would have to splash 500-600 euros for a flywheel/clutch kit.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020
Issue resolved.

It was the starter motor. A car electrician serviced it (bendix and brushes) and now the car starts like a charm.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.