Carista with the 2016 Ibiza

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Afternoon all,

Disclaimer:
I don't take any responsibility for what you may end up doing to your cars whilst using Carista or following any instructions from my post. Do so at your own risk! :)

As a few of you know, I own a 2016 Ibiza FR 1.0 TSI DSG. I've been pondering for a while about getting Carista and have had the Beta version from the developers for a couple of weeks now but not dared make any changes with it!

So today, I had an hour out in the car playing with it. Some things work, some things don't. Some settings were a bit intermittent but changed eventually. So, here's what I've done:

Lap timer in MFD:

IMG_1348.jpg

Not tried this out yet, but I presume you can time your 0-60 :)
I guess this is standard on the Cupra?

Amount to refuel in MFD:

IMG_1349.jpg

I had lost two bars of fuel and it was showing that 10 Litres is needed to fill back up to the top. Maybe a bit pointless but I like it!

Needle sweep:

IMG_1350.jpg

I had this enabled on my previous FR but did it with VCDS. So I was glad to see that it can be enabled here.

Other things enabled:
  • Tear wipe after washing rear windscreen
  • Rain closing. Windows will close (if open) when rain sensor is activated. Also now selectable in the 'Car' menu on the radio
  • Parking light activates with DRL. Rear LED lights are now 'always on' when ignition is on

Things I tried to activate but wouldn't work:
  • Battery voltage level display in MFD
  • Auto fold mirrors via 'Single click'

I'm also waiting to hear back from the developers about getting a setting in there for disabling those stupid cornering fog lights. They annoy me so much!

One thing to note, when I did the in-app purchase for £4.99 for a week's worth of customising, the app told me that Beta testers won't be charged this fee. I can't tell at the moment but I'll keep an eye on my Apple account to see if I've been charged at all.

Hopefully that helps some of you wondering whether to take the plunge or not...
Any questions, let me know :)

Last edited:

Quiksilver

May 7, 2016
Also I didn't find this option in their web site -
Rain closing. Windows will close (if open) when rain sensor is activated. Also now selectable in the 'Car' menu on the radio

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Is it only app or you need to buy some kind of OBD device ?

I just bought the OBD2 dongle that they sell as I was using it with an iphone and there were lots of people buying a cheaper dongle and it not working etc etc , I just wanted to buy and use, not buy cheap, waste time, buy cheap again, waste time etc.

Having said that, it is said that some cheaper dongles do work!

About their website, I seem to remember that it is not updated too often, so maybe what you read there is behind what is possible, for me, with a 6R 6C Polo, I have yet to contact them for an update, as a user I expected that they would send out updates when they are launched - like any other app, it does not seem to be like that so far! Just to clarify, I bought this mainly as an "on the road" diagnostic tool as my previous one had run out of useful life when I replaced both our cars, so the nice bits like adaption, I can do using my VCDS, but I would like to think that all their customers get updates, or at least get alerted that some useful updates are available for a small fee.

Quiksilver

May 7, 2016
This is something that 1 guy wrote -
"If you want me to pay $20 for a one-time customization at least be up front about it. The app seemed to work well, up until they charge you $20 to change any settings. If you were more up front about it I wouldn't care. But you do an in-app charge instead of having a separate pro version app listed on Google Play"

If that is true every time they update you need to pay 20$ more ?

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Also I didn't find this option in their web site -
Rain closing. Windows will close (if open) when rain sensor is activated. Also now selectable in the 'Car' menu on the radio

Its definitely there in my menu now... Although I've not had chance to test it yet. I guess I could pour some water on the windscreen and see if the windows come up!

IMG_1355.jpg

I paid £4.99 for one week's access, although I can't see that this has been taken from me as of yet...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
This is something that 1 guy wrote -
"If you want me to pay $20 for a one-time customization at least be up front about it. The app seemed to work well, up until they charge you $20 to change any settings. If you were more up front about it I wouldn't care. But you do an in-app charge instead of having a separate pro version app listed on Google Play"

If that is true every time they update you need to pay 20$ more ?

As far as I'm concerned, with that in mind, it becomes luck of the draw if, when you actually pay for it initially, if your car is included, as I said, you can't take the website as being true as it does not seem to be getting kept up to date.

So, the next question might be, when can you be sure that Carista have sorted out their app for "your" car, if there was an area of the website that you submit your requirements and they answered then that might help - and no, Twitter/Facebook etc is not a suitable way for a professional company to do business, to support or link their customers - yes, but not for contractual sorts of questions.

I'm not sure if I've voiced this on this forum, but, for what Carista are providing, I think that there is space for different levels of Carista based apps - that might solve a lot of our moans because it will be up to us to pick the level we need.

What confuses me, for one, is, that in the whole, I am complaining more about extras that I did not even consider essential when I committed myself to buying Carista!

stadan

Jan 31, 2016
I wonder if this will work with my 1.4tsi dsg cupra. I want the needle sweep and cornering fog lights OFF!

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
Do you think that in the cupra 2016 it will also have the rain option ?
Also does it has the stop-start option? I need to cancel that stupid option!!!!!

You will not be able to turn of Stop-start using this app - you can sort of do it using VCDS but it's basically a hack altering the voltage levels required to allow the Stop function to kick in - by setting the required voltage level above what it is ever going to be then the car then never goes into stop-start mode.

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
Really wanted the mirrors thing to work - damn. Couple of nice changes though - probably worth a weeks access to allow me to change those.

I must be one of the only people who actually like the cornering fog lights.......

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that any new model of car being brought to market in Europe will need Stop/Start, it will be in the latest list of "must have" !

I'd also be very surprised if that function does not get into national car testing, ie in UK case MOT as well as it affects emissions/inner city pollution.

Last edited:

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
Really wanted the mirrors thing to work - damn. Couple of nice changes though - probably worth a weeks access to allow me to change those.

I must be one of the only people who actually like the cornering fog lights.......

I agree, I like them!

The other day when dropping my girlfriend off in a small housing estate at night a man came and knocked on my window and asked "What are you doing with your lights?", he seemed offended by them, as though I was purposely messing with them to annoy him or something? Weird IMO. I explained they're cornering lights and he just stared at me and walked off :confused::blink:

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
I agree, I like them!

The other day when dropping my girlfriend off in a small housing estate at night a man came and knocked on my window and asked "What are you doing with your lights?", he seemed offended by them, as though I was purposely messing with them to annoy him or something? Weird IMO. I explained they're cornering lights and he just stared at me and walked off :confused::blink:

We should start a supporters club!

I'd have told him to 'go away' politely.

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
I wonder if this will work with my 1.4tsi dsg cupra. I want the needle sweep and cornering fog lights OFF!

It should work with your Cupra, but the functionality available depends on which version you have.

If you have a pre face lift Cupra, the needle sweep may not be available, but you should be able to turn the cornering fogs off.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.