Change in design of TFSi engine. Important issue with fuel pump and engine wear

leonmk2cupra

Sep 24, 2013
any ideas if the fuel pump from the 265bhp s3 suffers from the same problem. i have found one cheap from the breakers for 80 quid and was thinking about using it as an upgrade for the cupra i have just bought rather than go the expensive route of new internals. i read that the cupra r and s3 share the same uprated pump, so the question is, is the cam follower stronger here?

flieger

any ideas if the fuel pump from the 265bhp s3 suffers from the same problem. i have found one cheap from the breakers for 80 quid and was thinking about using it as an upgrade for the cupra i have just bought rather than go the expensive route of new internals. i read that the cupra r and s3 share the same uprated pump, so the question is, is the cam follower stronger here?

Based on what I know, the came follower is the same across similar engines. The fuel pumps designed by Hitachi are all pretty much rated to the same psi delivery rate and that's the reason the folks are upgrading them from the various sources (APR, LOBO, etc). I would simply go with the latest OEM revision follower and check it every 20K...I've been running the APR HPFP in my 2012 Golf R for over 28K (36K+ miles now) and when I checked and swapped the follower at my 20K service there was little to no wear at all.

leonmk2cupra

Sep 24, 2013
the cam follower could very well be the same, i just wondered if it was made by a different supplier. the marketing out of VAG for the s3 and cupra r clearly points out an uprated fuel pump and bigger intercooler as a couple of a few differences. as i say i may buy the s3 pump and change the cam follower but the question would then be is the s3 pump an easy swap? does it just need to be fitted and adapted via vagcom or is there more to it. does the control module need to be swapped as well? as i say i have a cheap s3 pump available as well as a cooler from the same car and would like to get the basics done before remapping the ecu.

flieger

the cam follower could very well be the same, i just wondered if it was made by a different supplier. the marketing out of VAG for the s3 and cupra r clearly points out an uprated fuel pump and bigger intercooler as a couple of a few differences. as i say i may buy the s3 pump and change the cam follower but the question would then be is the s3 pump an easy swap? does it just need to be fitted and adapted via vagcom or is there more to it. does the control module need to be swapped as well? as i say i have a cheap s3 pump available as well as a cooler from the same car and would like to get the basics done before remapping the ecu.

To be honest, I don't know the specs of the S3 pump. However, I would not expect them to be much if any different than the Golf R Specs. I'd contact Keith @ APR and ask the question about the S3 setup before you purchase it.

As for the install, it's quite simple and there is no requirement for you to use VCDS after install. It's three T-30 bolts, two plugs and two lines off the bottom of the pump. You may need to swap one of the fittings on the bottom, but it can all be accomplished with hand tools. When reinstalling the new pump, make sure the primary o-ring seats correctly and that you don't over torque the three T-30 bolts on install.

leonmk2cupra

Sep 24, 2013
one way to check would be the part number. the one i am looking at is 06F127025H. as far as i know there were revisions J and K as well but have no idea which were fitted where and what their outputs were.

leonmk2cupra

Sep 24, 2013
Pump taken apart today, cam follower had lost all of the teflon from the top just a ring around the side left. Sides clean enough with no visible scouring. Ever so slight scouring bang in the middle of the surface which comes into contact with the cam. Camshaft same, almost nothing to see. Sorry have no way of posting pic but think not bad for 107000kms. Follower and o ring kit should arrive monday, in meantime cam belt kit fitted and new fan belt. Willbe changing coolant for new g12 as suggested with a change of water pump.

JayCee

Apr 8, 2010
Isle of Man
Just changed mine today, been meaning to do it for a few months really. It had been changed by Awesome when I went stg 2+ at ~7k and I have now done ~17k.

Surface coating was missing from 1/3 of the top, but no scoring of any sort on it or any obvious signs on the cam.

Not too tricky to do and glad I have got it done (at last!).

Rich12885

Apr 8, 2014
Guys have we a part number please, as not sure if my 08 plate cupra needs it changing but just phoned seat and they wasn't sure which follower I was on about but quoted me 48 plus 16quid for a seal

Apr 1, 2014
'up anley duck'
im sure you could find it if you google it mate theres plenty of threads on this.

btw seat dealers aint got a clue, i rang stoke seat and they told me there was no such part.

Last edited:

MrFwibble

Aug 26, 2011
Scottish Borders
I changed mine last at 45k miles in Nov 2011. Just changed it again today at 100k miles and this was what the old one looked like.

IMG_20150414_162312.jpg

Not bad I think.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.