Chargeable software updates?

Dec 12, 2023
I have just been to my local Cupra dealership in the UK, as I have been unable to register myself as the primary user of the car; something that I am assuming is software related, as I have seen other people on version 1896 with this issue.

However, when I raised this I was told that, despite my car being purchased approved used less than 3 months ago and being under 3 years old, software updates were not covered under the two year warranty with the car.

Apparently this is because the free updates are only covered by the original primary user for three years, and are not covered by the extended warranty on the approved used program.

If this is accurate, as a software developer myself, I think that is absolutely ludicrous... Especially as software updates to a notoriously problematic and flakey infotainment system are incredibly important.

Has anybody else had this response?

The updates should be covered under warranty if you say the right words when complaining

Or, save yourself the time/hassle and DIY update to1969. They're now beyond the point that they should've felt happy releasing the cars into the wild (unlike back in the days of 16xx)

Last edited:
Reactions: theonlymaverick

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
I have just been to my local Cupra dealership in the UK, as I have been unable to register myself as the primary user of the car; something that I am assuming is software related, as I have seen other people on version 1896 with this issue.

However, when I raised this I was told that, despite my car being purchased approved used less than 3 months ago and being under 3 years old, software updates were not covered under the two year warranty with the car.

Apparently this is because the free updates are only covered by the original primary user for three years, and are not covered by the extended warranty on the approved used program.

If this is accurate, as a software developer myself, I think that is absolutely ludicrous... Especially as software updates to a notoriously problematic and flakey infotainment system are incredibly important.

Has anybody else had this response?
Welcome to the world of Cupra 🤔

Karbonfaiba

Jul 9, 2023
Hampshire, UK
Trouble is I consider software lag to be a problem I want fixed. :D

Why is a 2020 infotainment system as responsive as an ATM machine? I want Seat CUPRA to know I am dissatisfied, so they keep optimising the current software in the development. The facelift Formentor is going to have better infotainment performance and I want those optimisations, regardless of hardware changes.

Cvpra

Mar 11, 2023
I am second owner to my 2022 V2 bought last year. Lookers Stockport updated the software as I experienced the infotainment switching off and on etc.

They updated it for free and gave free courtesy car.

If there are no issues with it and you ask for it to be updated they may well charge you however if you have an issue, and you won’t be lost for company, then they realise it’s like a computer and ridden with issues so should update for free.

My warranty runs out next year and it will be a bye and farewell sadly to Cupra as I can’t take the risk of no warranty with the Formentor. Being so tech is great but like a PC it needs help and if every time something goes twitch, and it will, it’s gonna cost a couple of hundred pounds for them to even look at it let alone fixing it or finding a problem and then how much will that costs?

Last edited:
I am second owner to my 2022 V2 bought last year. Lookers Stockport updated the software as I experienced the infotainment switching off and on etc.

They updated it for free and gave free courtesy car.

If there are no issues with it and you ask for it to be updated they may well charge you however if you have an issue, and you won’t be lost for company, then they realise it’s like a computer and ridden with issues so should update for free.

My warranty runs out next year and it will be a bye and farewell sadly to Cupra as I can’t take the risk of no warranty with the Formentor. Being so tech is great but like a PC it needs help and if every time something goes twitch, and it will, it’s gonna cost a couple of hundred pounds for them to even look at it let alone fixing it or finding a problem and then how much will that costs?
Use an independent workshop such as ourselves and save a small fortune over what the dealers charge 🙂. We can update the digital history the same as they can

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Trouble is I consider software lag to be a problem I want fixed. :D

Why is a 2020 infotainment system as responsive as an ATM machine? I want Seat CUPRA to know I am dissatisfied, so they keep optimising the current software in the development. The facelift Formentor is going to have better infotainment performance and I want those optimisations, regardless of hardware changes.
🤔 shouldn't ever be released UNTIL it's fixed

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.