Cheap car insurance - any recommendations?

DigglerB

Got quote for Seat Leon TDI FR from Direct Line for £730 (current insurer).

Went to a website and a pop-up for swiftcover appeared.

Thought "What the hell" and did a quote with them - £412 with same excess etc!

Think difference with SwiftCover is they may go down to full postcode level - I have an M24 postcode which is generally high for insurance (Middleton, Manchester). But I live on the outskirts of the town in a nice, generally quiet village - so wonder if this is the reason why it is so cheap?

Try another postcode on housing estate in same M24 postcode area, with same car details - £655 so over £250 more expensive!

Anyone had any experience of this company (claiming etc) - and are there any other companies that you know of that generally offer cheaper car insurance?

TXOSBI

I haven't used swiftcover but in February it was announced, subject to certain conditions including regulatory approval, that they are being taken over by AXA.

I went from Direct Line to RAC for my FR TDI cover.

I used confused.com and took the cheapest from there.

I did inform them of the factory extras as well, 18" wheels, convenience pack, and parking sensors fitted at dealer.

JonTelfer

On the crab
Jan 24, 2007
I used confused initially but MoreThan tried to screw me over by increasing the price of the quote. I'd got it whilst I was looking for cars to get an idea of the prices and then saved the quote. When I went back to take them up on it I was told that it had risen by 60 quid "probably because we're doing a promotion where you get FREE breakdown cover".

On the second confused search I found Swiftcover worked out best for me - under 400 notes for an Altea FR TDi. It was with a 50 quid off intro offer though.

DigglerB

Cheers all - much appreciated!

Will try the couple of suggestions as well above - heard that SwiftCover were being taken over possibly.

Maybe price will go up now :-(

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
I've always found Norwichuniondirect cheapest by far - I always haggle with my renewal price and manage to better the previous years premium!!
Can't comment on the LEON FR 170 YET tho!

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance
Just done a dummy quote for FR170:

2x 33yr old married couple drivers
parked on driveway overnight
£250 Excess

£389.00

Now that sounds grand to me - SWIFTCOVER - The chicken's crossint' road ont' telly!!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members