Cleaning Engine Bay

Rua1r1

Rua1r1
May 5, 2009
Co.Armagh
Hey, I spent a few hours cleaing my car today and im happy with the outcome but over the winter my engine bay has got a bit dirty, im tempted to hit it with the power hose, is this a good idea ? :confused:

calvR

Oct 21, 2011
Kent
I would say probably not a good idea. Lots of wiring, plugs etc that the jet wash could force water into.
I guess if u took ur time to cover any electrics or areas u dont want to blast with water u could give it a go.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Hey, I spent a few hours cleaing my car today and im happy with the outcome but over the winter my engine bay has got a bit dirty, im tempted to hit it with the power hose, is this a good idea ? :confused:

you mean a pressure washer?

if you use the right products there is no need to use a pressure washer on your engine.
I will post up some pics of mine tonight that i cleaned just with APC a brush and rinsed off with an open hose pipe.
obviously there are certain parts of the engine which you have to pay special attention to regarding electronics ect but as long as you are sensible you should be fine.

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
My mate uses a household steam cleaner and a few products, the steam cleaner is great for those awkward areas that you would otherwise need to use a toothbrush to get properly clean. I don't get so anal myself but do give it a quick once over a couple of times a year.

Noel McQ

Aug 18, 2010
Banbridge, NI
Rua1r1 is your leon a tdi? I have 1.9tdi and have cleaned my engine bay with the power hose on numerous occassions. If you left your car in for a full valet and detail including the engine bay thats exactly what theyd do!

Ive been fully autoglym valet trained and thats how they do it! If its really bad i use some diluted pure soap to soak it in first and in really bad spots some tar remover or tfr, then just aggitate with a few brushes and blast it all off, hot water is better but cold is fine. then you could you could use the likes of autoglym super sheen to spray on as it dries, the water helps it move in to all the parts around the engine bay and when dried leaves a nice glossy finish.

in the 2 years ive owned my car and over maybe 10 times doing this i have never had one problem! nor have i had a problem with any engine bays that ive done in valeting work or for friends and family!

Rua1r1

Rua1r1
May 5, 2009
Co.Armagh
Rua1r1 is your leon a tdi? I have 1.9tdi and have cleaned my engine bay with the power hose on numerous occassions. If you left your car in for a full valet and detail including the engine bay thats exactly what theyd do!

Ive been fully autoglym valet trained and thats how they do it! If its really bad i use some diluted pure soap to soak it in first and in really bad spots some tar remover or tfr, then just aggitate with a few brushes and blast it all off, hot water is better but cold is fine. then you could you could use the likes of autoglym super sheen to spray on as it dries, the water helps it move in to all the parts around the engine bay and when dried leaves a nice glossy finish.

in the 2 years ive owned my car and over maybe 10 times doing this i have never had one problem! nor have i had a problem with any engine bays that ive done in valeting work or for friends and family!

Yes Mate mine is a 2.0tdi, thats just the answer i was after :) I've had it a few years now and avnt really bothered with cleaning the engine bay so it's due a good once over,

Cheers

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.