"Clunk" noise

marts

Leon MK2 2.0 TDi Stylance 56/2007

I get a strange clunk noise quite often when say I'm reversing. The noise sounds like when you drive over a grid, and it "clunks"

It happens mainly when I'm reversing, so I'll put the gear in reverse, reverse, brake, and then about 1 seconds after I release the brakes the "clunk" will happen. It happens about 75% of the time. Occasionally, it might happen in first gear in the same situation, ie just after braking.

I had few front and rear brake pads fitted the other week, and mentioned it to the dealer - but they coudn't find the fault. Its still happening now with the new pads.

Someone was stood by the side of my car the other day and heard it - they thought it sounded like it was coming from the front.

Any ideas?

MauriceRKK

I had exactly the same problem a while back with a 2003 TDI 110 I had recently purchased and it turned out to be two cracked wishbones!! You say it happens specifically when you brake after reversing?

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
Mine does it and the dealers says it's the brake pads moving. Sounds right as it happens the first time you brake in reverse.

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Mine does that, it's had it's MOT and nothing was untoward. Been wondering what the noise was. I take the movement of the pads isn't detrimental to the performance of the brakes?