clunking noise..

Mar 5, 2006
scottieland
Hi, Hope someone can help me, I ve just bought a (52) toledo 1.9 tdi se.
Great car, however every time i go over a small hole or mancover etc etc in the road , there is a clunking noise from the passenger front wheel area. Sometimes i could swear there is a similar noise from the back passenger side. but the front can almost be felt if your feet are in the footwell.. It is driving me mad, not to mention ruining my enjoyment of my new car...

Had it into Seat? they say they can't find anything wrong. But i'm not mad yet , something is clunking!!!!!
Any info or suggestions would be really appreciated.
thanks

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
I found my standard suspension noisey over the bumps generally.
a loud clunking noise from the back end....... i have now changed it and it is better, but still quite loud over the subsided trenches that lousy road subcontractors pass as good work!!!![:@] RANT OVER

Riddick_m3

Mar 17, 2005
Sudbury, Suffolk
my lcr clucks sometimes when i go from full lock to wheels straight and vise versa seat cant find anything wrong, to me it sounds like my shock spring is twisting in the cup but i cant be sure..... :(

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
thanks for that, i was thinking of putting on lowering springs. can i do that and still have the standard shocks??
Your toledo looks really smart by the way

Cheers mate...........

There has been a lot of discussion about lowering by using springs only (quite recently too). All i can say is that lowering has totally changed the handling of the Toledo for the BETTER!!! i found it floaty before....a bit disconcerting when entering a corner!!! ;)
You can lower the car by buying springs only and using the shocks originally on your car...the problem is determining how good your original shocks are. on a 52 they are not that old so prob be ok.....(dont quote me tho!).
My parnter previously lowered a PD115 Bora on springs only......on a Y plate, unfortunatly we didnt keep it long enough to see how long the shocks would last.....it did improve handling and looks! on the PD150 Bora he went for the same kit as my Toledo (all the recommendation i needed.).
PS after helping/watching him fit the kit on my car, if your mechanically minded, i was surprised how easy it was to do!!!!! (with the tools of course.) :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members