Clutch cable needs replacing

seanybrowne

I have a 2000 Ibiza S 1.4 Mpi, I had my clutch and pedal box replaced about 6 months ago but the clutch cable wasnt done. I was told to get this done aswell or else I run the risk of my pedal box breaking again.

I have only just brought the clutch cable but a garage has quoted £100+vat (which I really dont have at the moment) just to fit it for me. Is this a job I could do myself or am I going to have to cough up the £115?

Any help would be greatly apperciated!

seanybrowne

Thanks, Ill have a look at the weekend. Has anybody actually done this themselves? Any tips? or anything I need to be aware of?

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
easiest way i found, was to have someone press the clutch in, then wedge the clucth arm open at the gearbox end with a bar or screwdriver and slide the old cable off, then release it from the pedal end... pull the lot out and replace at the pedal end, then hook it over the clutch arm at the gearbox end (while its still levered open) and jobs a goodun

seanybrowne

Ive been having a look around, haven't actually done anything yet but I'm struggling to see how to get to the pedal end, Ive removed the piece which covers up the fuses so I can see the connection but cannot get to it, Do i have to remove my entire dashboard to access it and is this easy to do?

Also, I see the clutch cable goes through a grommet under the bonnet and comes out of a grommet above the pedal, is it easy enough to feed the cable through these grommets or do I need to remove anything else to access this?

Thanks for your help so far!

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
have you got the new clutch cable yet?
buy that, then look at it and see how it fits, youll be able to work it out from looking at it.
you dont need to remove anything else, theres only one grommet IIRC that goes into the sctuttle pannel.

you need to remove the black plastic parts underneath the windscreen, between the screen and the bonnet to get to the cable.

if you cant figure it out from that then id advise taking it somewhere to have done. it wont take them long to do, but if you try and fail, your stuck with a car that doesnt move

nutty_merka

Nov 7, 2008
remove seals from below main window and you'll see were the cable runs u basicaly have to depress the clutch then take of the old feed through the new one down to the clutch pedal conecting back. easyier sed then done use a polo haynes manual but what ever you do dont!!! pay a 100 quid to get it done

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sales car polo clutch was creaking a little earlier so I got dragged over to see if it was a pedal box gone or a knackered cable

between 2 of us had cable locked/out/reset and fed some duckoil and refitted in about 10 mins or so

grommets come out with the cable, can be daunting if never done before mind and awkward on ya own in all fairness

if you are unsure ask a local tech/garage if you got a new cable (£30 odd) what would they charge to fit it ?

£100 is taking the mickey to be honest

seanybrowne

Fitted the clutch cable myself today! Was pretty much as simple as Ibiza_95 was saying! Glad I didn't pay £100, only took me about 40 minutes!

Thanks very much for all the help every1 gave!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.