Clutch not rebounding during track day.

dacarch501

Jun 15, 2021
Over the weekend while tracking my 2018 Cupra 300 ST, my clutch remained on the floor after about ten minutes of driving (hard) on my local racetrack. It only lasted a minute or so, and it went back to normal operation afterwards, albeit with more careful shifting. During this first of two sessions, I was using engine braking quite a bit and may have been too aggressive with the downshifts. In the next session, I used only brakes to slow down and the problem seemed to go away.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone during a track day or simply after hard driving. The car has no mods and was fitted with stock summer tires from Continental... which may last not much longer!

Would appreciate any input.

dc

Attachments

• 20210625_101010.jpg
    20210625_101010.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 106

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Are you getting any clutch slip? Drive it in a higher gear then mash the throttle. If the revs rise but the car doesn’t accelerate accordingly, your clutch could be shot. I had a Golf R manual and they were known for eating clutches because the clutch VW use is weak. Mine started slipping at 37,000 miles - I’ve heard of others starting to go at 17,000. I ended up fitting a stronger one - mine was stock too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Sounds like its been punished amd thats a warning, iv read a few cases of ir doing it something to do with master or slave cylinder made out of choclate

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Over the weekend while tracking my 2018 Cupra 300 ST, my clutch remained on the floor after about ten minutes of driving (hard) on my local racetrack. It only lasted a minute or so, and it went back to normal operation afterwards, albeit with more careful shifting. During this first of two sessions, I was using engine braking quite a bit and may have been too aggressive with the downshifts. In the next session, I used only brakes to slow down and the problem seemed to go away.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone during a track day or simply after hard driving. The car has no mods and was fitted with stock summer tires from Continental... which may last not much longer!

Would appreciate any input.

dc
Keep an eye on it, hopefully it’s just temporary track day punishment that has caused it. I had my clutch pedal lose pressure and not rebound intermittently. The master cylinder was failing, supposedly the slave can fail easy too. My fr was on 20k miles when this let go, no fun at all and costly if it’s the slave as the gear box needs to come out to access it.

dacarch501

Jun 15, 2021
Are you getting any clutch slip? Drive it in a higher gear then mash the throttle. If the revs rise but the car doesn’t accelerate accordingly, your clutch could be shot.
xyz
Thanks... I tried what you said last night and did notice anything wrong. Thanks

Sounds to me like you boiled your clutch fluid - which subsequently cooled down and regained pressure when you changed your driving style.
May benefit from a fluid change.

Cuprabenwytm
I actually think this may be the case. Thanks.

Keep an eye on it ...

Jay5959

Thanks jay, I will, and since I plan to continue punishing (read enjoying) my car at the racetrack I am considering replacing the stock clutch with a stronger one (Sachs Performance Clutch) as well as a REVO Stage 1 Performance Software, which requires this upgrade anyways.

Reactions: Jay5959

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Thanks jay, I will, and since I plan to continue punishing (read enjoying) my car at the racetrack I am considering replacing the stock clutch with a stronger one (Sachs Performance Clutch) as well as a REVO Stage 1 Performance Software, which requires this upgrade anyways.
Sounds like a wise move, may as well stick an aftermarket slave cylinder in there too with the box out, one that’s not made from chocolate 😂

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.