Coilovers or regular?

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010
I really want to upgrade my suspension but i don't know which is the best road to go down, i only want to lower my car the very max or 40mm but i'd prefer to keep it around 35mm, i just want to sort out the marshmellow like rear-end handling, i'd like to tighten it up however i don't want it to drive like a milkfloat down bumpy roads, anyone have any inspiration and wisdom they want to throw my way...

Cheers,

Bob

UTA_flyinghigh

I got -35mm shocks/springs and theride isn't too harsh.

UTA

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The Toledo was never a sporty car, and with a big a55 over the rear wheels, that floaty feeling is almost 'designed in'.

I'm in the process of trying to get it dialled out. First, I've gone for a set of Powerflex bushes, with the main priority being to replace the rears. Rumour has it that a lot of VAG cars struggle with the rear bushes, so I'm very much expecting mine to be mush. That hopefully should allow the suspension to go up and down rather than wherever it feels like.

Second was to sort out damping. My car has 125k on it now, and as far as I can see the original dampers. I've bought myself a set of four Bilstein B4 dampers, basically standard kit but brand new and with a name like Bilstein, hopefully good quality. I'm not replacing the springs, I want to maintain the ride height for now.

Once they're on there and I've given it a bit of a run-in period, I will be purchasing a Whiteline 24mm rear anti-roll bar, which should hopefully remove any remaining rear end marshmallows.

The original plan had been for coilovers, but my budget couldn't stretch to a reasonable quality set. The bushes have cost me just over £100 for all six, the dampers were £133 for all four, and the ARB will be just over £150. Add in about £30 for replacing the bolts, and I will hopefully have a decent ride for just over £410.

For the same price I'd have got some cheap coilovers, that would still be having to deal with expired bushes and a rear end that refuses to stay horizontal.

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010
just like any other vehicle just bumpier....thanks for the advise though, i don't think i'm gonna go for the coilovers, probably just go for the SPAX adjustables dropping the lady by 35mm, well see, just well looking forwaerd to it!

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
From what you've said I'd say go for a good quality springs and shocks kit. Spax are a good choice but can be a little on the stiffer side but do give great handling.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010
Thanks Damian, i was only looking @ SPAX purely because i couldn't find any other kits in the £350 price bracket without having to re-mortgage my house to buy, are there any other kits you'd recommend?

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
We do the Weitec 40mm kit for £330.60 inc. VAT and free delivery and the AP 40mm/30mm kit for £301.70 inc. VAT and free delivery.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010
i like the sound of the Weitec, i'd like to lower it evenly, i don't like the idea of dropping the nose lower than the rear, i just get the picture in my mind of a 1/4 mile drag car if you know what i mean, could you compare the Weitec against the SPAX?

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
I've got powerflex bushes all round and have Spax springs (30mm drop) and Spax adjustable dampeners. I've had this set up for almost 3 years, and its fairly good. The adjustable dampeners are a bit of a bugger to fit at the front though, but doable. They have something like 26 settings, 1 being soft and 26 being jarring hard. I find setting 1 is fine for the UK and setting 12 - 16 for Europe is a good setup.

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Personally I find the Weitec's to be a better quality all round kit. Better damping rate and also less harsh on the road.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010
nice one, thanks Thev, and also thanks to Damian too, i'm going to have to research this further, i'm going to try to get some pics of my Tolly this evening to post, i've been holding it off for ages and wanted to wait untill i get her lowered but i think now wouldn't hurt, atleast then i have some before and after pics!

Thev5

Keeping it unreal
Nov 19, 2004
www.gardensandhouses.co.uk
Sorry about this. I was going to get some pictures sorted, but have been pretty busy over the last few days. Anyhow's my car has gone back to the garage to get a botched body repair sorted out! I'm now left with a nice little Citroen C2!!! Lookswise, the 30mm drop doesn't affect the look that much. The only noticable difference is the rear wheel are a little further up into the wheelarch, but nothing outragous. I wouldn't want to go much lower though as imo, I think a car that is too low looks awful.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members