Coilovers

Cupra-cal

Aug 30, 2008
Penicuik
wondering what coilovers are better,weitec or kw??:think: what like is the ride/build quality of both?? and also whats the biggest wheels i could get on after without attacking the arches? everyones input/pics would be greatly appreciated.many thanks callum:)

DUB BOY

Jan 8, 2010
London
weitecs are made by kw's but cheaper, kw's are great but very expensive i would go for weitecs and pay less money

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Weitech Hicon GTs are superb. I have APs on my Bora at the moment and even though they're made by the same company, they are cr*p in comparison. As above KWs are extremely expensive and you won't notice the difference on the road. Unless you're going to enter into a racing series as a privateer, go for the Weitechs and save your money.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
This really depends on what you want out of them and what you plan to do with them after your finished.
If you were to buy KW V1's which are approx £650 and keep these for 3 years.
You would have about the best street coilovers that you can get and would last a life time.
If you wanted rid of these after the 3 years people would snap your arm off for these and due to the stainless steel construction they would look like new too.
Take the weitecs of about £450 if you don't wash these and wax oil these (which you wont) they will look very scabby after the same three years and resale value would have dropped to about £200 with less of a second hand market.
Buy £300 coilovers they'll be done after 3 years and you'll need new ones or won't be worth anything after this period.

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
My last set of Weitecs were 3 years old and looked like a fifth of that, they we're like new and that is with zero waxing. In contrast, my APs are two years old and look horrific. I agree with the sentiment of Willie's post and it is absolutely applicable to most sub £500 coilovers, it is not applicable to the Weitecs. The primary difference between the Weitecs and other lower priced coilovers is that Weitecs have galvanised struts, most if not all of the others are not galvanised and are merely Zinc plated. They will never be comparable to the KWs over a long lifetime but they will definitely last a good 5+ years and still look reasonable at the end of it.

Last edited:

Cupra-cal

Aug 30, 2008
Penicuik
so their much the same then? but why are the kw's about 150 quid dearer? are konis or spax any good or they just sh@te??

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
KWs are by far the better product, there's no argument about that. The question is whether or not they are worth the extra money to you. Damping and performance is much the same as the Weitec Hicon GT, the only difference being the colour and the fact that the KWs will look pretty much like new throughout their life.

Personally I wouldn't put Spax on any car I value. Koni do some good products (FSDs) but are better at dampers than coilover kits.

Cupra-cal

Aug 30, 2008
Penicuik
mmmm....decisions,decisions :think::think: would be nice to still have them lookin nice after a couple of years but with 150 i could get something else for the car.how much will it lower the car anyways? whats the biggest rims i could put on without fuss? i mite put 18's on but nothin bigger.

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
18s are no problem, it'll drop anywhere from 30mm to about 75mm depending on what you want. Go more than 40mm and you'll need a different front ARB or adjustable droplinks at a minimum as the driveshafts will rub on the standard ARB.

Cupra-cal

Aug 30, 2008
Penicuik
ABR is the rollbar,aye? mite just get the weitecs and get new roll bars (is there one on the rear?).it take it would be best having it lowered between like 30 and 50mm rather than having it rite on the deck? the roads round here are pretty free of really bad potholes.

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
ARB, anti roll bar yes. A new front ARB is relatively cheap to buy but an absolute PITA to fit. A garage will charge plenty in labour to do one.

If you go too low the ride will be very crashy. 40mm is enough of a drop to look good with 18" wheels and you'll still have a reasonable ride and good handling at that height with decent coilovers, anything more and you're seriously sacrificing handling ability and ride comfort, don't do it.

the roads round here are pretty free of really bad potholes.

I know, I used to live there ;)

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally from Ayrshire but lived in Edinburgh for a few years and played in a band based in Newtongrange so not too far away from you.

If you've got the money and you plan on keeping the car for 4 or 5 years, I'd go for the KWs. I'm going to be going for Weitecs on my Bora to replace the APs. They're low on the back and they're giving a very crashy ride due to being too low to allow the shocks any room for manouvre. I'm waiting to hear from AP tomorrow on whether or not they can sell me an adjuster spanner (I should Bl**dy hope so) as the previous owner misplaced them, showing the same level of care he did for the rest of the car. It'll be interesting to see if they loosen up a bit when I raise the rear as the front end actually feels quite good, very little body roll and good damping.

Cupra-cal

Aug 30, 2008
Penicuik
you d think a pair of spanners would be easy for them to get a hold of seeing as they do suspension and all!!! i ll get saving for either set soon!!

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
If you can push for the KW V1's but if not the Weitec's are still a superb choice and the only main difference is that they aren't stainless steel like the KW Variants.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.