cold starter

synchro

hey guys
hope everyone is keeping well

i have 00 toledo tdi 110bhp non modified

shes asolutely fantastic in everyway possible, but she's quite a bad cold starter.

she doesnt start on teh button when cold, it takes about 5 seconds for her to start.

but then shes absolutely perfect once shes warmed up then, she start on the btton from then on.

any ideas what this might be?

o one thing i forgot to mention is that I wait for the glow plug light to go off before i start her!

and the glow plug light on the dash goes off in less than 1 second anyway, so its not a case of me starting her too soon!

thanks for looking guys!

ed

rk696

Aug 16, 2007
West Yorkshire
Have you checked all the usual fuel filter, air filter etc.?

Maybe the glow plugs need replacing, My old work van (2005 transit tdci), took about 6 or 7 seconds for the glow plug light to go out, yours seems to go out pretty quickly.

It might also be a faulty temperature sensor in the engine telling the ecu that the engine is already warm :shrug:

tolly_tdi

diesel power
Dec 13, 2008
York
My glow plug light has never gone on- does anyone know what sensor it is that I would probably have to replace? cheers

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
tolly_tdi - does your glow plug light go on for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on? Every light in the panel should light up briefly at that point, as a check. If it never comes on at all then the panel light may have failed. There is also a fuse, S163, 50 Amps, one of the big flat metal strip-fuses in the box on top of the battery, and a relay, J72, position 4 on the lowest row of relays, either of which may also have failed.

Unfortunately the panel lights are LED's and are never supposed to fail, so are not at all easy to replace. A VAGcom reading should provide more information.

If it comes on at the startup check but then goes out, you have a glowplug system fault or a coolant temperature sensor fault. Try disconnecting the coolant temperature sensor, which will give the effect of a cold engine. The glowplug light should come on for about 20 seconds after ignition on. You can check the voltage to the glowplugs to see if they are working.

synchro, in cold weather the glowplug light should stay on for several seconds - mine's doing about 5-8 seconds when it's about 1°C outside. If it's going out immediately, there's something wrong.

BigMon

Hmmm, my glow plug light comes on for about 2 seconds even when it's below freezing.

Mine is a 54 plate so don't know if they changed something?

I haven't noticed any problems starting, but I have noticed it's very easy to stall when pulling away from cold.

Something else to be looked at under warranty!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
BigMon, you also have a PD 150 engine, quite a bit different from my TDI 110. It has an electronic control unit for glowplugs and EGR, replacing the relay my car has. We need someone with a PD engine to tell you what glowplug duration they see on cold mornings.

willives

Apr 20, 2008
Wiltshire or Spain
I had the same problem on my 110. The glow plug light stayed on for a few secs, and it was really hard to start.

I checked the glow plugs with a multimeter, and only 1 was working.

I've now fitted 4 new glow plugs, the light stays on for around 5-6 secs and it starts straight away, even at 4am when it was -8.

BigMon

BigMon, you also have a PD 150 engine, quite a bit different from my TDI 110. It has an electronic control unit for glowplugs and EGR, replacing the relay my car has. We need someone with a PD engine to tell you what glowplug duration they see on cold mornings.

Ah yes, having done some intersite research I think mine is pretty normal.

Excuse my ignorance, and thanks!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members