component or coaxial speakers?

davy_fr

Oct 10, 2014
Glasgow
Well after 3 months the leons speakers are absolute $hite!! Cant handle it anymore and looking to upgrade..

Seen a few options but wondering what yous have done and if happy?

component or coaxial and what to do with standard tweeters to upgrade or not?

Cheers

R@B

I Like Turbos!!!
Mar 11, 2009
Sunny Glasgow
Depends on your budget and what you have at the moment. I currently have a Sony double din dvd player, can't remember the model, JBL components in the front and rear doors and 2x 12" Sony Xplod subs in the boot all powered by a Denon amp. It's loud, clear and bassy but I still want more. Since my first set of components 3 cars ago i've never went back to coaxial but i've never had a really decent set to compare to the components. I previously had coaxials like Sony, Alpine and Pioneer around the £30 - £40 mark and kept blowing them. I've had my JBLs for 5 or 6 years and they are still going and take plenty of abuse.:D

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

davy_fr

Oct 10, 2014
Glasgow
Depends on your budget and what you have at the moment. I currently have a Sony double din dvd player, can't remember the model, JBL components in the front and rear doors and 2x 12" Sony Xplod subs in the boot all powered by a Denon amp. It's loud, clear and bassy but I still want more. Since my first set of components 3 cars ago i've never went back to coaxial but i've never had a really decent set to compare to the components. I previously had coaxials like Sony, Alpine and Pioneer around the £30 - £40 mark and kept blowing them. I've had my JBLs for 5 or 6 years and they are still going and take plenty of abuse.:D

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers mate,

yeah i dont want anything hardcore lol just a nice upgrade that can go past 12-14 vol with out sounding horrible, spoke to my mate who works in halfords after a posted this and he said the same coaxial are ok but the components would be slightly better and better quality.

I was just wondering also what works well and what kind people have vent for..

Looking at vibe or fli i think

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Components in front, coaxial in back. Thats the way source sound told me to do it so thats the way I went lol

Penguin

Jan 15, 2014
I think you'd be better to spend all your cash on better front components than split your budget on replacing the rears as well. Just fade the rear speakers out so they don't distort when you have better quality fronts.

davy_fr

Oct 10, 2014
Glasgow
Components in front, coaxial in back. Thats the way source sound told me to do it so thats the way I went lol

And is it a big improvement and are you happy with it mate

I plan to go component in both front and back but run with the stock tweets

Thats the other option, was looking for someone who has maybe done this and make sure the standard tweeter is cool with upgrade.

I think you'd be better to spend all your cash on better front components than split your budget on replacing the rears as well. Just fade the rear speakers out so they don't distort when you have better quality fronts.

Again another option mate but think they are workin out about £50 to £60 a pair so would rather just get it all done at once and that was for pretty decent vibe ones.. I have always went for alpine, rocksofrd fos, but he recommend the vibe says he always uses them and are really good.

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Yeah it sounds amazing but iv spent around 800 on the speakers and amp, the fronts where around 170. Cross overs make a huge difference aswell. The reason source sound suggest coaxial in the rear is because of the position of the rear tweeters.

Last edited:

davy_fr

Oct 10, 2014
Glasgow
Yeah it sounds amazing but iv spent around 800 on the speakers and amp, the fronts where around 170. Cross overs make a huge difference aswell. The reason source sound suggest coaxial in the rear is because of the position of the rear tweeters.

yeah he said they come with cross overs.. uk ano mate you could spend an arm and a leg but am not wanting to go down that route.. sold all my stuff when sold ma last car and a wee speaker upgrade should hopefully do it justice..

whats with the rear tweeters why is it coaxial in back for the tweeter??

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Oh yeah sorry. Its because the rear tweeters are close to your head so you will hear sound from both the front and the back tweeters which will effect the sound quality. He told me to either go coaxial in the back and disconnect the tweeters or move the tweeters to the c pilar.

Last edited:

davy_fr

Oct 10, 2014
Glasgow
Oh yeah sorry. Its because the rear tweeters are close to your head so you will hear sound from both the front and the back tweeters which will effect the sound quality. He told me to either go coaxial in the back and disconnect the tweeters or move the tweeters to the c pilar.

sweet man, might try that then front components and rear coaxial and see how that goes first..as said am just looking to get better quality.. I do miss the sub and 6x9 set up but its a pita to get all wiring done :D

thanks again for the help tho mate.

locky

May 5, 2014
North East

Thats a good point, ill revise my plan to coaxial the rears and disconnect.

Does anyone know where the crossover for the oem setup is located?

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
Yeah best thing to do, its not end of the world if you decide you want components in the rear after fitting coaxial. Just see how you get on.

Like source said to me "coaxial won't sound as good as components but do I really need them in the back?" for me The difference between the two speakers was around 80 and he said he couldn't justify me spending the extra unless I was spending stupid money on the sound system.

One thing that made a difference was abit of soundproofing behind the speakers. It helped get rid of that tinny sound.

Not sure where the oem crossovers are... If they have any...? I know the tweeters run off the speaker plugs if that help

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Just my 2p worth here....

It all depends on your budget & what your prepared to spend

2 options here

1 go Co-axial, & if you get the Sak-3103 speaker adaptors, they come with a wiring connector.
I believe that if you cut wire 2 (red) then it disables the stock tweeter, so your not getting sound from the tweeter in the top of the door & the tweeter in the co-axial.

Option 2....

There is nowt wrong with the stock tweeters, so you could spend your money on decent replacement mid-bass speakers for the bottom of the doors.
Thereby negating the need to be fitting crossovers and ripping your door to bits!.

These are good for speakers....

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/

Last edited:

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Yeah best thing to do, its not end of the world if you decide you want components in the rear after fitting coaxial. Just see how you get on.

Like source said to me "coaxial won't sound as good as components but do I really need them in the back?" for me The difference between the two speakers was around 80 and he said he couldn't justify me spending the extra unless I was spending stupid money on the sound system.

One thing that made a difference was abit of soundproofing behind the speakers. It helped get rid of that tinny sound.

Not sure where the oem crossovers are... If they have any...? I know the tweeters run off the speaker plugs if that help

I was wondering if there is a passive crossover somewhere maybe, thinking there must be something somewhere to sort the tweeter frequencies.

Do you need to be super careful with the soundproofing so it isnt a big sponge for water?

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
I would think it does but not sure at all.

I used skinz sound proofing which has some water resistant technology thingy. Aslong as you don't put it over the drain holes like I did you'll be fine lol

lsg60

Mar 31, 2014
I would think it does but not sure at all.

I used skinz sound proofing which has some water resistant technology thingy. Aslong as you don't put it over the drain holes like I did you'll be fine lol

Martynm14

Oct 19, 2014
I have component in the front, stock in the back (the stock ones seem to be coaxial)

SaxophoneMn

Jul 14, 2015
What is known about the crossovers? It looks from what I read in most reviews the separate tweeters aren't that good. My hope is that I could buy a component set and not bother with futzing with the tweeter.
In my last car I left the window sails in, but wired in my own crossover with a capacitor just to keep anything below 400Hz or so from hitting the speaker and then ran it directly off the head unit. while the rest of the speakers were off of the amp.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.