condensation and door holding water

ManOnTheMoor

Apr 22, 2007
Didn't get photos today but will do first thing tomorrow. ref polythene i have a roll for garden so cut a bit off - you can get 1m from garden centre or suggest a thick polythene bag - square one like from debenhams or next - cut seams so that create long sheet, then can either tape on, or fold in half to double thickness and then tape on.

hope this helps.

I have ordered door cord from local dealer for £15.20 + vat per roll, pick up thursday, hopefully correct item - will post part number if different from above, oh and some door trim clips as bound to break some

ManOnTheMoor

Apr 22, 2007
Ok, got photos now snow stopped

took a few goes to get the images up.....if they dissappear go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/47442171@N02/
I have covered with silver gaffer tape to demonstrate, but you get the idea....

4348594122_6709cb60d8.jpg

Close Up

4348593850_c8103c0dd0.jpg

Need to ensure plastic is higher than door seal rubber on the sill to ensure water runs back out hence silver gaffer tape position, other will still leak in.

Also picked up the seal (SAKL45000505 (C10C ADH Tape) - £13.68) and door clips (S3B0868243 (FCSO Clip - £7.02) all +vat, £24.32

Last edited:
Right! Racked my brain and sat with my brain aching looking at the diagrams of previous posts of leaky doors and water collecting on the sill and i believe it IS NOT THE FOAM DOOR PANEL SEAL THAT IS THE PROBLEM!

Yes this is a factor but only if you have a lower door full of water!

Let me explain, The water should escape in any case through the three drainage holes in the bottom of the door.

Checked Mine, Not Blocked! Well not the holes themselves, but the rubber seal is but up against them and when the door is shut this seal forms a water tight seal up agianst the three holes stopping any water from escaping in tern allowing the bottom half of the door to fill up and then leank over the bottom panel through the foam seal and out between the door card and inner panel!

I looked at the passenger side and the bottom door seal on the bottom of the door itself sits off of the panel a little and seems to have retained its shape better due to less use,

options are: New bottom door seal or, to experiment as i did a section of fish tank tube 3-4mm between the sill and bottom holes, This allows the water out by not letting the seal butt up against the holes and hold water!!!!

So before you take your door to bits this is the reason im 110% sure!

and ive heard golf mk4's do the same and thats how they solve those too but new seal would work also!

It worked for me its the only reason the bottom of the door would fill up but do check for hole blockages also!!! :funk:

The seal that refered to in this post http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216&highlight=leaking+sill
Is made od foam this IS NOT meant to hold water this is just a vibrabration panel mating seal between two metal panels to stop vibration and posible slight moisture.

So if this seal is worn or broken its not a big deal but its letting water through because the bottom of the door is full of water as it cant get out through the three bottom holes.

How can people think that a lower door full of water is normal, to fill up to that foam seal level before escaping! :cartman:

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
options are: New bottom door seal or, to experiment as i did a section of fish tank tube 3-4mm between the sill and bottom holes, This allows the water out by not letting the seal butt up against the holes and hold water!!!!

Any pictures?

And also do you not think all the testimonials of people renewing the seal, speak for themselves?

On mine when it was raining you could see the rain seeping through the panel seal (after removing the door card) and when the seal was "fixed" it stopped.

The thee bottom drainage holes only work when the door is opened.

Lee the door is not meant to fill up with 2-3 inchs of water before it comes out through the panel.

So when the doors shut and you say the three holes are not used for drainage, where does the water escape your door just fills up but you dont notice and think you have fixed it but you have a bottom door full of water.

That foam sill is not meant to hold water!

The problem is with the bottom sill it loses it shape over time, its not a case of boasting and getting my wang out and measuring it lol but i have a mate who works for volkswagen and he says the same.

Imagine if the car was sat door closed for weeks in heavy rain you would have water in the door for all that time, Not Good!

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Mine wasn't seeping from the bottom of the panel though, mine was seeping quite a way up the side, nearer to the door lock, and trickling down and collecting on the inner cill cover.

if the water hit the outside of the window runs down the water collects in the bottom of the door it wouldnt run the other side, it has to be filling up to come over that inner door skin and through the foam sill that is between the central ancillery paney (with door pull and gubbins on)

bathrumble

It doesnt have to fill up the bottom of the door to leak in through this sill, when its raining the seal around the window lets the water in and it runs down the inside of the door including the metal panel holding the central locking etc. If the seal is ruined it seeps in before it gets to the drain holes at the bottom of the door.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise