Considering FR TDI, some questions

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
Hi,

I had a test drive in a Leon FR TDI 170 at the weekend and I really liked it. Unfortunately I was in a bit of a rush, and the driving experience gave me such a big grin on my face I forgot to look around the rest of the car and ask the dealer (David Penman of Darlington) some questions.

Are the following worth it?
Bi-Xenon lights - considering my current car has the equivalent of a couple of water voles holding birthday cake candles for headlights. I guess the answer is YES, but how much of a yes?

Same for the bluetooth kit, I don't use my phone whilst driving (because it's naughty and I don't want any more points :() But I guess there are times when it could be useful. How well does it integrate with the phone and how does it work overall? (I have an SE k800i, which I've read is compatible so hopefully no issues there).

18" wheels. I think the one I drove had the standard 17s on. I don't think I saw one with 18s, but I'd imagine they really finish the look of the car off. If I went for 18s, what do you get in the way of spare? I've seen different reports, one was you get another full 18" alloy, but that cuts down on your available bootspace a fair whack.. the other was an 18" space saver.
I really don't like space savers. I have one on my current car, and got a nice horseshoe nail in a tyre about 2 weeks of picking the car up. I discovered my tyre was flat in the rain, in a field by the river tyne. Not much space in boot (it was full of kayaking gear) and the fullsized alloy wouldn't fit in the spare hole. Nice muddy wheel marks all over everything [:@]

I can forgive the space saver if the alloy will fit in its place, I suppose. That being said, I do occasionally need enough bootspace to fit a drum kit in.

The other option I was considering is the usb/ipod connection. How exactly does this work, and what kind of control do you get from the stereo (and is the stereo upgraded in any way to accommodate your music player)? I can't really find much info on these, other than ipod goes under driver's seat and it all costs £75.
Oh I have an ipod nano - will that fit, or is it just he normal sized ones? and some other mp3 player that could use the USB connection I guess. Or either could just use the aux in, but i'd prefer to be able to control it via the stereo if possible.

What's the stereo like in the FR? I love my music, but I didn't have any CDs to hand when I took it for a drive, plus I didn't want to deafen the co-pilot from the dealer! I will _NOT_ be able to put extra amps/subs etc in the boot, due to space requirements/damage they would no doubt suffer if they couldn't easily be removed... but that's a faff on I don't want to have to think about anyway.

And finally, are there any other options you guys have chosen that you couldn't live without and would recommend?

Thanks for reading.

Oh, my current car is a Yaris D-4D T-spirit. I can't remember how many weaselpower it has, but i'm sure it's at most half what the Leon has. I feel I've outgrown it and want something meaner, faster (through the gears - too many people driving annoyingly slow) and a bit bigger, but not family tank-sized.

Leon so far checks all those boxes.

I am also considering an Auris 180, but it does sound like that part of your body that you sit on, and I haven't had a chance to drive one yet. Useless dealers around here don't seem to have one. I drove the 2.0 one that has 130bhp or whatever it is, but you could tell it was a toyota. It just didn't seem right without tartan rug on the back seat. I know I drive a yaris, and it's a great car. Auris = definitely better than the 'rolla, but .... maybe it needs better suspension and a beefier engine. It's also more expensive (about £1k) than the leon + all the options I think I want.

Really don't know. Leon's definitely the "nicest" car I drove. I've had a couple of Audis and Golfs recently too on test drives, and they were arguably "nicer" but not worth the extra money nicer.

Last edited:

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Are the following worth it?
Bi-Xenon lights - considering my current car has the equivalent of a couple of water voles holding birthday cake candles for headlights. I guess the answer is YES, but how much of a yes?
Depends how much night driving you do, the new leon lights are a vast improvement on the older Leon, but nothing will beat the xenons. Perhaps look at an aftermarket kit if you dont want to shed out the £££'s

Same for the bluetooth kit, I don't use my phone whilst driving (because it's naughty and I don't want any more points :() But I guess there are times when it could be useful. How well does it integrate with the phone and how does it work overall? (I have an SE k800i, which I've read is compatible so hopefully no issues there).
Get it - dont argue - don't think about it get it!!
Not only is it bluetooth for your phone, but you get a large digital display on your dash, which does things like shows doors open, allows you to change lots of settings of the car, display radio information etc.etc. (this you wont get if you dont get the bluetooth!)

18" wheels. I think the one I drove had the standard 17s on. I don't think I saw one with 18s, but I'd imagine they really finish the look of the car off. If I went for 18s, what do you get in the way of spare? I've seen different reports, one was you get another full 18" alloy, but that cuts down on your available bootspace a fair whack.. the other was an 18" space saver.
I really don't like space savers. I have one on my current car, and got a nice horseshoe nail in a tyre about 2 weeks of picking the car up. I discovered my tyre was flat in the rain, in a field by the river tyne. Not much space in boot (it was full of kayaking gear) and the fullsized alloy wouldn't fit in the spare hole. Nice muddy wheel marks all over everything [:@]
Style 'V' ride comfort. IMHO It looks better with 18's - however the ride is slightly firmer.

Its a 16" space saver wheel which you will get on most of the leons in the range i haven't heard of anything other tbh with you.

The other option I was considering is the usb/ipod connection. How exactly does this work, and what kind of control do you get from the stereo (and is the stereo upgraded in any way to accommodate your music player)? I can't really find much info on these, other than ipod goes under driver's seat and it all costs £75.
Oh I have an ipod nano - will that fit, or is it just he normal sized ones? and some other mp3 player that could use the USB connection I guess. Or either could just use the aux in, but i'd prefer to be able to control it via the stereo if possible.
Do a search - lots of info about this, not really sure myself as i have (will have!) just the aux connector.

What's the stereo like in the FR? I love my music, but I didn't have any CDs to hand when I took it for a drive, plus I didn't want to deafen the co-pilot from the dealer! I will _NOT_ be able to put extra amps/subs etc in the boot, due to space requirements/damage they would no doubt suffer if they couldn't easily be removed... but that's a faff on I don't want to have to think about anyway.
Stero is okay, speakers are crap (apparently) - do a seach lots of info on the infinity speaker range.

And finally, are there any other options you guys have chosen that you couldn't live without and would recommend?
I'd point you to the convience pack (auto lights / wipers).

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
Hmmm. After I learned how to use the search function ;) it seems that the ipod connection is pretty much pointless. I really wanted to be able to see track/album info. USB isn't much better. Might just get a new HU when I can afford it.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Hmmm. After I learned how to use the search function ;) it seems that the ipod connection is pretty much pointless. I really wanted to be able to see track/album info. USB isn't much better. Might just get a new HU when I can afford it.

Might want to save a bit more cash up for some koni springs :lol: (use the search ;) )

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
Definately get the 18" Wheels and a set of the mudflaps, they really set the look of the car off..

The bluetooth is great too..

Slightly dissapointed with the sound system - in my last car i had installed a sub and new headunit, though dont know if I could be bothered with all the faff.. Though it plays data disks - just burn all your albums onto a data cd, pretty good feature.

Xenons - for me £900 wasn't worth it for me, as much as id have loved them..

Loving my FR, im sure you would too!

Maverick88

Oct 19, 2006
Devon
Jono,

Couple of points for you,

18" Alloys - you get an 18" spacesaver.

USB connection - got this on mine with a 4gb memory stick, don't get the track names just track numbers within the 6 folders on the stick.

Bi-Xennon - absolutely great at night & they turn when you steer.

Bluetooth - absolute must for me, bigger screen in the dash, I've got a Nokia 6310i & a SE K800i both work OK in the Leon.

Hope this helps.

Mav. [B)]

TFSI FR 07
18" Alloys
Convenience Pack
Winter Pack
Bluetooth
Bi-Xennons
Sunroof
USB Connection

mode

Apr 27, 2007
North Wales
I test drove several of the Leon's rivals before buying a petrol FR, my local toyota dealer had a 48 hour test drive thing on the auris diesel it was quite frankly rubbish, very noisy and NOT at all good on fuel.

I have the bluetooth phone option on the Leon and its the coolest thing on it i can well recomend it................

duncerduncs

Nov 17, 2006
Reading
What are the stock lights like? Still fancy xenons, but anything's an upgrade to my voles :)

The lights on the Leon aren't bad, but if you don't want to go to the expense of xenons (factory fit or after market) go to http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk

You can buy Phillips X-Treme Power bulbs for £32.99, I originally brought the Phillips Vision Plus and they were a big improvement. Now I'm thinking of upgrading to X-Treme Power :D

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
I test drove several of the Leon's rivals before buying a petrol FR, my local toyota dealer had a 48 hour test drive thing on the auris diesel it was quite frankly rubbish, very noisy and NOT at all good on fuel.

I have the bluetooth phone option on the Leon and its the coolest thing on it i can well recomend it................

Hmm missed this before. Is the FR (petrol or diesel) much better on fuel then?

richi

hi jono

I've got an FR TDI its got 18's a must have as the 17's aren't nice looking and look lost in the arches, also got bluetooth also a must have and a license saver, got the auto lights and wipers too which are very good. The standard radio cd unit sounds ok but nothing more than that, plenty are upgrading speakers and report improvements, it plays mp3 cd's so no real need for ipod link. Ive averaged 42mpg over the last 2000miles with mixed driving if you take it steady it will get nearly 50mpg but if you wanna drive like your granny why buy an FR. On the lights issue i upgraded to power plus bulbs and the lights are fine. The ride is a bit on the firm side but hey its a sports hatch..... and finally mines also up for sale if you wanna save a few grand.

Crazyhazy

While on the subject of fuel, I would like to take some of the other members FR TDI's out for a spin and compare them to mine, lots of people are saying they get good mpg even while hammering the car. Last night I drove from Blackpool to my home in Manchester - a journey of about 60 miles, I thrashed it down the M61 but eased off on the M60 when I got home I had averaged a grand total of 28.6 mpg!! What happened to the figures on the Seat website!!

Crazyhazy

No 6 mate

Before I got this I had an Alhambra (kids grown up now - I'm getting younger) and according to Seat the fuel consumption is supposedly better for the FR TDI - nonsence - I used to get that in to the 50's on the motorway at 70. To get high forties in my FR I would have to drive at 50 on the motorway.

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
Hmm that's not good. It's people who drive at 50 that I want to be able to overtake safely.

Yeah, would definitely be interesting to see others' fuel consumption figures for a , shall we say, "sprited" drive?

TDI economy is the whole reason i'm not getting the FSI version.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.