Considering Leon Cupra 300 ST - Advice

Mar 3, 2021
Hi all

New poster, hope everyone is well.
I am considering changing to a Leon Cupra 300 ST, something has really caught my eye about them, they seem like a great all round package.
Unfortunately, here in Scotland even without the lockdown etc they seem to be quite rare. There are certainly none at any local dealers, so having to rely on what I can find online.

So far it seems like the reviews are all very positive, but obviously compare it to the Golf R, which seems to come out on top for most reviewers for whatever reason... So hard to know what's actually a valid issue or not.

Personally I prefer the way the Leon looks to be honest.

I was looking to check, in general are there any major watch outs owners would flag to be wary of?
For the 300 ST in particular, I believe it's the 6 speed DSG? What kind of revs is the car sitting at at e.g. 70 on the motorway? Is it still quite quiet?
What's the standard sound system like? Is Seat Sound really worth holding out for?
Are there any other "must have" options to look out for on used market?

Cheers!

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Hiya,

I can't help you ref the 300 but I do have the 184 TDI ST chipped to about 225bhp. I do like the 300 though.

I like the ST because it isn't a full sized estate and drives like a hatchback. Best of both worlds.

Mine is 6 speed manual but in 6th at 70mph I'm doing a touch over 2000 RPM. My mpg won't be anywhere the same as your but can get 55 mpg or my best on a long m/way run was 69 mpg.

I'm not a big sound system person and I'm happy with what it does. Tyre choice seems to have a big influence on how the car drives/handles. The DSG is 4WD so a lot of fun.

I'm sure some 300 drivers can give you some better info.

(just buy it)

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I had a Leon Cupra 300 hatch up until last Monday and it had Seat Sound. In my opinion, you have two options, either hold out for the car you want with Seat Sound or have it retrofitted. There are a few people who have had it retrofitted by East Yorkshire Retrofit Solutions (either fully by them or with a kit they supply, which consists of genuine Seat parts). They integrate the system seamlessly.

I loved the Bass that the Seat Sound system gave and at some of our meets others said that my system sounded way better than their standard systems and i have to agree it did.

ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) is something that others have said is a must but this is personal choice. If the cars you look at have two stalks on the lh side of the steering wheel then they will have ACC. Like in the attached pic.

Attachments

• A0224519-CE08-4333-884E-9DD81C787CED.jpeg
    A0224519-CE08-4333-884E-9DD81C787CED.jpeg
    642 KB · Views: 159

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
What year 300 ST are you looking for? The Cupra was a fairly decent spec when compared to the Golf R e.g. Dynamic Chassis Control (adaptive suspension) is standard on the Cupra.

Digital dash (virtual cockpit) and illuminated door sills were introduced in mid-2018.

From Sep 18 the copper badges and 7 speed DSG were introduced (albeit one or two arrived with old badging and 7 speed), but the downside was the gasoline particular filter and removal of the multipoint injection. Seat Sound was removed from the option list from Sep 18; those of us that had ordered Seat Sound prior to this received the Beats audio. Beats audio is ok similar to the Canton option in my Skoda, but nowhere near as good as the Harman Kardon system in a BMW for example.

In terms of the revs at 70 mph, it will depend what driving mode/gearbox mode you are using e.g. in individual mode you can set to Eco, so the vehicle coasts when off the accelerator, and will change up at lower revs; however in Cupra mode it will change much higher up the rev range, and will probably hold 6th gear rather than cruising in 7th.

Edit:

In S7/D7 2000 rpm @ 70 mph
In S6 2600 rpm @ 70 mph

Last edited:

jdubya

May 30, 2017
South West
Hi Chris0288 - great choice a 300ST - DM me and I’ll talk you through mine which I purchased last June and still grin from ear to ear every time I drive it 😍👍

Mar 3, 2021
Thanks for the replies all
Re year its looking like 2017/67
I'm not massively bothered about digital dash to be honest, quite like normal dials, and from what I read the digi dash maybe isn't as fully featured as e.g. The audi one?
With that and the particulate filter coming in 2018 cars I think 2017/67 is maybe a decent shout to be fair, I assume they might make a bit more/nicer noise due to lacking that filter?

Does it have 6 or 7 speed dsg? Internet reviews seem conflicting actually

Also any thoughts on seats? Are the leather seats any worse/better than alcantara mix seats?

Retrofit if it doesn't come with seat sound is a fair shout, or I take it the speakers could be easily upgraded if needed so maybe not a deal breaker?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Digital dash can be retro-fitted too, but yes, not as good as an Audi; however, if you travel on the continent a lot you can easily swap miles to km etc, and the satnav between the dials is still better than most vehicles in this class.

My opinion is that the leather is not that high quality in Seat cars and thus the Alcantara is the best option. The seats are a good point as you can get standard seats or optional bucket seats - these were quite an expensive upgrade, so doubt many cars in your age range have them.

Pre-GPF cars have 6 speed DSG only.

In terms of the noise from the exhaust, a lot of owners remove the resonator on the pre-GPF Cupras for a little more, but this can cause drone at cruising speeds - there are options for an anti-drone resonator delete pipe.

Mar 3, 2021
Digital dash can be retro-fitted too, but yes, not as good as an Audi; however, if you travel on the continent a lot you can easily swap miles to km etc, and the satnav between the dials is still better than most vehicles in this class.

My opinion is that the leather is not that high quality in Seat cars and thus the Alcantara is the best option. The seats are a good point as you can get standard seats or optional bucket seats - these were quite an expensive upgrade, so doubt many cars in your age range have them.

Pre-GPF cars have 6 speed DSG only.

In terms of the noise from the exhaust, a lot of owners remove the resonator on the pre-GPF Cupras for a little more, but this can cause drone at cruising speeds - there are options for an anti-drone resonator delete pipe.

Yeah I guess probably a nice to gave re digital dash. Would you know if apple carplay/android auto shows on it? Or only the inbuilt nav?

Interesting info on the dsg! So are 2018 onward cars 7 speed? Presumably slightly better for cruising if 7th gear is longer?

Also fair point about the leather, I quite fancy the alcantara to be honest as I imagine you don't slide about as much, warmer in winter etc.
Only concern is we are getting a wee puppy so the leather mught be easier to clean any incidents! Albeit agreed maybe not super high quality compared to other brands.

To be honest, my current car has merino leather and the stress of "will that damage it?" is a small part of the reason I'm changing!

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Leather in the 2017 cars is quite hard and robust. That is compared to the nappa leather in my current Formentor. I would t let my son get in the car the other day as he had zips on his rear pockets

89a99ded6ef3f826cecd297dd728c916.jpg

2017 Leon Cupra Leather Seats

8980726921a7be07d229bf26a3388441.jpg

2021 Cupra Formentor Leather Bucket Seats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexTaylor212

Feb 17, 2019
Hi all

New poster, hope everyone is well.
I am considering changing to a Leon Cupra 300 ST, something has really caught my eye about them, they seem like a great all round package.
Unfortunately, here in Scotland even without the lockdown etc they seem to be quite rare. There are certainly none at any local dealers, so having to rely on what I can find online.

So far it seems like the reviews are all very positive, but obviously compare it to the Golf R, which seems to come out on top for most reviewers for whatever reason... So hard to know what's actually a valid issue or not.

Personally I prefer the way the Leon looks to be honest.

I was looking to check, in general are there any major watch outs owners would flag to be wary of?
For the 300 ST in particular, I believe it's the 6 speed DSG? What kind of revs is the car sitting at at e.g. 70 on the motorway? Is it still quite quiet?
What's the standard sound system like? Is Seat Sound really worth holding out for?
Are there any other "must have" options to look out for on used market?

Cheers!
Hi Chris,

YES! Buy mine! I'm about to put my 2018 (68 plate) SEAT Leon Cupra 300 Carbon edition up for sale. It's done 24k miles, is an estate and is in very good condition. Let me know if you're interested.

Many thanks,

Alex

carl^

Feb 16, 2021
Love my 2019 300ST, worse mpg in the City than my old SLK280 but I do "enjoy" it more than I probably should.

Remember in Cupra mode 75% of the fun is the Soundaktor / fake noise.

On an older model I'd want to be connecting OBDII and seeing how many launch control starts its had / how much it's been rinsed about.

AlexTaylor212

Feb 17, 2019
Yeah I guess probably a nice to gave re digital dash. Would you know if apple carplay/android auto shows on it? Or only the inbuilt nav?

Interesting info on the dsg! So are 2018 onward cars 7 speed? Presumably slightly better for cruising if 7th gear is longer?

Also fair point about the leather, I quite fancy the alcantara to be honest as I imagine you don't slide about as much, warmer in winter etc.
Only concern is we are getting a wee puppy so the leather mught be easier to clean any incidents! Albeit agreed maybe not super high quality compared to other brands.

To be honest, my current car has merino leather and the stress of "will that damage it?" is a small part of the reason I'm changing!
Hi Chris,

Fairly sure the dash doesn't show apple/android. You might be able to get a song title or something similar to how you can see what radio station you're listening to. The inbuilt nav display does handle the apple car play and android auto well though in my opinion, I've never had any dramas!

AlexTaylor212

Feb 17, 2019

Also, sorry. Mine is a 68 plate so late 2018 and only has the 6 DSG gears. I'm not sure if that's performance orientated though. Maybe the 2.0 litre diesels or standard 300's have seven gears.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members