converting V5 Toledo to 1.8T?

nak

May 13, 2006
Basically, from what i have been told, you need the front half of the car, if it was possible, for you have listed some parts but also you require clocks and keys, if you have'nt got keys with front end, then you will have the headache of rechipping or reprograming , all a headache, cost keeps going up and up, on the v5 there are two ECU's, one for engine side and the other for electrical side, what i was told that no matter what engine side ecu, can be made to work, but no guarantee's for electrical side, yet someonelse told me, you should have no probs, once both ecu's plugged in, you really need to think about this, MUST have someone that knows what they are doing.
The v5 is a heavier engine, so you will need structs and brakes aswell.
Some will tell you to go and buy a v5, cheaper option, but when you are trying to make your car UNIQUE because you have already spent abit on it, then really you don't really want to part with it.
Keep loooking around i have seeen v5's going cheap on e-bay, spares or repair, hope this helps or have i :confused: this situation abit more :)

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Given the current climate (and the fact Toledo's are pretty worthless at the best of times) I'd say the best bet is get hold of a cheap Tolly V5 and just park it side-by-side with your Leon (or pref. a curpra) and swap everything from one to the other.

You'd probably sell a Toledo 1.8T for more than the V5 + the cost of the conversion... and it should be an easy job if you don't have to replace broken bits or find missing parts.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Thanks for this peeps, yeh like u say seen some very cheap tollys, to the tune of £1500-£2000 on 70k miles. So swapping everything over, i.e clocks etc etc etc would be the best option. Iv also heard i would need to swap the subframe over? Is this correct?

Jimski

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
You wouldn't have to... but as mentioned, because you'd ideally swap the suspension, hubs, driveshafts, gearbox.... etc etc anyway, you'd just drop the lot out of the bottom of the Toledo and bolt it up to the Leon (and vice-versa)

Strip the interior of both cars back to the bulkhead, and transfer the whole lot in one go - looms, canbus mirror controls, heated seat wiring....

nak

May 13, 2006
So what model of Leon have you got at the moment Jimski and if you get a cheap v5, you must put the half suede/leather interior in aswell, as TIIEWL said, this is the best option, so i was told get, when i was thinking of a 1.8T conversion, is get a donor car, put next to yours and basicallly swop everything you have too, but i must say that there is one thing a V5 come do better , compared to the 1.8T and that is the grunt that comes from the engine, when you put your foot on the throttle.

Jimski

Back to the fold!
Nov 3, 2007
Staffs
Its a 1.6 S dude, yeh basically the tolly would become a 1.6 with basic interior, and the leon would become v5 with all associated electronics.

Costs in my opinion would be similar in the first instance, and the decision is purely down to insurance. I know for a fact that the v5 is more expensive to insure.

V5 for uniqueness
Gti 150bhp for potential

Hmmmmm

Jimski

nak

May 13, 2006
When i enquired about insurance, based it on the extra bhp, so mine was 150bhp, told them the engine for conversion was 180bhp, so they just worked it on the extra 30bhp wanted an extra £45.

nak

May 13, 2006
Here we go again, found a Seat Toledo 1.8 20 vt , with engine gone and turbo gone, oil starvation, thinking of buying it, get engine for it , transfer all my bits to it, what do you think

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
be a damn sight easier to stick all your bits into the 1.8T toledo & rebuild that engine.

That way you have two working toledo's

nak

May 13, 2006
Well this project will be on it's way, got my hands on a Seat Toledo 1.8 20VT 2004 plate, got my hands on a AUQ engine with turbo out of a Skoda Octviva VRS, with 5 speed box, low mileage, waiting for recovery of car and delivery of engine, gearbox will have to be seprated, the Leon/Toledo have a 6 speed box, any guidance on this project, thanks
P.S. Wife is not happy at all, but what can i say, apart from " i don't play Golf " :p

nak

May 13, 2006
At the moment don't know what i'm doing, apart from sorting out the poorly Toledo, that i've got coming, so i'm taking things one at a time, once i get engine in the Tolly turbo and she's up and running, then i've got to think hard, if colours match up swop parts over, if diffrent silver to mine :shrug: i just don't know at the moment, i love my v5 and she really runs well, love the grunt from her, everybody loves her, but i'm afraid i'm abit :blink: confused at the moment, reason why i've done what i have is because , First i love my Tollys, Second is the Seat Toledo 1.8 20vt, is a rare motor

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.