Coolant Pump Issue (after switching off my LCR) - Any ideas pls ???

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
hi guys,

Ive been reading on here that the coolant pump, pumps extra coolant around the turbo once the engine on an LCR has been switched off. this noise can be heard fron the front of the engine for abt 10mins after switch off. This has been happening on my LCR ever since i got it in Oct last yr.

Recently however, Ive noticed that this noise only seems to be there sometimes now. IVe been out for a good run just now, and when i got back the noise of the pump was not there, however, i switched the engine on and off a couple of times and the pump seems to have kicked in again..

My question is: Is this dangerous guys?? and is this pump meant to work intermittantly ??? or all of the time???

Any views would be fanstastic as im quite worried now.

cheers

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Pretty sure its meant to work all the time, but loads of them don't, mine included and I'm on 125K Miles!
I you treat your car right then there is no need for it at all!
Let your car cool down properly, low boost and low revs for the last few miles home.

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
Cool BCM, so is it ok for this pump "not to be working" or working "intermittantly???" ... as even in the LCR Guide, it says :

"When the engine is switched on, this pump begins to circulate the coolant and continues to
do so for a period of approximately 10 minutes after switching off the ignition. This
circulation prevents the sudden heat build up that could take place in certain areas of the
engine, such as in the turbo or the cylinder head."

So is there really no need for it???? after reading that matey ??

cheers

nutter_engineer

Feb 16, 2007
Cool BCM, so is it ok for this pump "not to be working" or working "intermittantly???" ... as even in the LCR Guide, it says :

"When the engine is switched on, this pump begins to circulate the coolant and continues to
do so for a period of approximately 10 minutes after switching off the ignition. This
circulation prevents the sudden heat build up that could take place in certain areas of the
engine, such as in the turbo or the cylinder head."

So is there really no need for it???? after reading that matey ??

cheers

Hi Vin-R, just wondering if your pump is still off when you turn off the engine. I've had my LCR for about a month now. The first few weeks I had noticed the noise in the engine after turning it off, but recently, this noise has gone. so a wee bit worried there might be problems.:blink:

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
Hey mate!! Since last commenting on this post, My pump is still working intermittently.. and sometimes not working at all.. I think it may be the rad fan ecu.. that controls the pump and the cooling fans. the ecu is a little unit that sits under the battery. think a new one is about £80.

Im getting a new one tomorrow. will let you know how i get on

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
They are not intermittent, Mine will fire up if I just turn the ignition on and off even when the car is stone cold

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
Jonwm, Stupot,

So did mine guys even like you said, "just turning ignition on and off" it comes on. got a new rad fan ecu today, thought that might cure the problem but it hasnt, seems to be not working, or only when it wants to ... any idead what it could be ???

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Not really sure on engines but if general machinery,
1. Find exactly where pump (or unit) is and cycle ignition to activate
2. Use multimeter to see if pump/unit is receiving power to initialize. may only be small
3. If yes pump maybe stuck or motor turning it faulty
4. If no then problem is before so.
5. Trace cable to origin (rad ecu??)
6. Check continuity of cores whilst moving cable slightly to make sure no breakage in cores. Also any possible damage to wiring
If no go prior again, just work through it methodically
The above is an example as never really looked into this and have no drawings, etc to refer to but you get the idea
If you can get hold of drawing work out a start and every item up until end, then go through and eliminate each part until fault is found
I hope this is some help

Vin-R

Oct 2, 2008
Midlands
thanks for the info guys, funnily enough, it was working fine yesterday, then stopped working again ??? this problem ive got is definitely intermittent.. will have to get some guy who knows wiring to check it out i think... as I havent a clue as to why its working sometimes, and sometimes it isnt

Jonwm

New to the MK2...
Jun 22, 2009
Tamworth
thanks for the info guys, funnily enough, it was working fine yesterday, then stopped working again ??? this problem ive got is definitely intermittent.. will have to get some guy who knows wiring to check it out i think... as I havent a clue as to why its working sometimes, and sometimes it isnt

I'm pretty sure you can clean the connectors on the secondary pump, sounds like its not totally broke as it works sametimes, worth a try??

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise