Cordy 1.6 won't run when cold

knight42

Hi,

I have a '97 Cordy 1.6SX, and it's developed a problem - when the engine is cold it wont idle, and I have to hold the revs up for a bit to get it to keep running. Until it's warmed up after that it'll often stop, usually at traffic lights or somewhere really awkward.

I've also noticed it misfiring when I'm trying to keep it running, occasionally at driving speeds I can feel it too. It's just been serviced and that had no effect, and I've cleaned up the MAF sensor, because, well, that's all I know what to do with it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm going to clean up the distributor in case it's that, but is there anything else I should check?

knight42

your automatic choke could be sticking, mine was a bugger for that. also check the plug that goes onto the front right of your inlet manifold, that sensor could have packed up, again thats happened to mine!

Fuel-injection, no auto-choke. ;)

Joe Cordoba

Hello there folks

I bought a Cordoba just two days ago - my first car (still have a fortnight until my test so I was a little presumptuous). It a T-reg 1.6 Cordoba S.

I already appear to have this problem.

The engine wont start usless I rev the engine and it seems to stall when the car is stationary for anything more than a few moments (I'm fairly sure its not my bad driving). Also, my dash lights do stay on when the car stalls.

I am, as you can imagine, a little annoyed but I'm inexperienced as hell when it comes to this kind of thing so any advice in as laymans terms as possible would be great.

Curse ebay and its apparent bargins!!

Thanks for your help.

Joe Cordoba

Same problems starting last night and I have also noticed that when I get the engine going and take my feet off the pedals the engine fluctuates between 0 and around 500/600 revs.
Like I said, its my first car so I expect a steep learning curve - any advice would be appreciated!

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
try having a look at the throttle body, and give it a good clean.

Think the 1.6 works on the principle as the 2.0 8v for idle. i.e. when you take your foot off the accelerator, the throttle body closes, and then a stepper motor opens it back up slightly to allow the engine to idle.

If the throttle body is gunked up, the stepper motor has not got enough power to open it to allow the engine to idle properly.

Worth a try anyway, especially as it's free ;)

knight42

I think I found the problem with mine - the distributor cap contacts and rotor arm are covered in deposits. I cleaned them up with a bit of emery and it's made a big difference, and it's misfiring much less. I'll invest in new ones and get new plug leads while I'm there as they don't look too clever either.