Crazy Central locking issue!

ryanp

For some reason when i start the car the doors lock, the buttons on the door wont work to open it. I had to turn the car off and press the fob.

BUT, yesterday the car was trying to lock by itself all the way home (only 10 min journey) the doors were already locked and i could hear it clicking intermittantly. Now the fob wont work at all and the buttons (which did work a few day's ago) would not open it either so i had to lift the stalk manually.

Using the key on the outside works as it should though?

Anyone have any ideas/test's that i can do??

This car has always had some stupid issue, fix one and another comes up!!

cheers!

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
Sounds like one of the microswitches inside the drivers lock mechanism has gone dodgy. If you have a lock on the passenger side does that work with the key and lock/unlock all the doors?
Do all the interior lights work as normal when you open and close each door?

I have vagcom if you need me to scan it. I live just outside Penistone or I can meet you somewhere in town

crack5111

ive got similar problem but mine tries to unlock itself and sometimes 1 or both the windows go down aswell :S

ryanp

I never got any notification of any replies!! I've got a proper Ross tech vag com, cheers for the offer though!

How do i check the micro switches ect?
The interior light works fine but the windows never have, they work from the key though!
As it's a sport model i dont have a lock on the passenger side either!

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
First of all then do a full scan and save any faults listed. Clear all faults, disconnect battery for 30mins and then drive it a few times. Lock/unlock using all methods and try the windows (and mirrors if they are electric). Scan it again and post results up (if any).

ryanp

No results from VAG-COM, i locked the car properly yesterday and then it just sat there constantly locking itself!!

need to get this sorted ASAP! i'll struggle when i get to the petrol station!!

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
Well you can disable the autolocking feature through vagcom in the central convenience module whilst you get it sorted.

I'd first of all take the door card off and see if there's any evidence of water or corrosion in the electrical connectors. I have a feeling that the door control module may have failed which is fixed on the window regulator on the drivers door.
I think the same has happened to my mk4 ibiza except everything works apart from the mirrors on mine.

Try coding the remote to the car again:
8 To code the remote you need the old original key in the ignition with it turned on then lock the door with the new key remove key then press unlock and horn will blip wait 6 second and press unlock again the key is now coded to your car!

Edit: Re-read your first post. Does it lock when you start the car or when you get moving (above roughtly 7mph) ?

Last edited:

ryanp

It locks as soon as the engine starts, came to it again today and it had locked itsef, i'll pull the doorcard off and see.

For some reason VAG-COM says 'controller not found' if i go into the central convenience module, do mk3's actually have this??

I need to get the window's fixed too, it sounds like a right pile of crap when you list the niggley problems to someone!! the joy of Seat's!

Cheers for your help so far mate, should just pop over to see you one day for a chat/fault find!

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
Ah sorry, just looked at the auto scan modules for 6K Ibiza and it scans 35-Cent Locks

To be honest I have no idea what can and can't be done on the mk3 but I recently sold a B5 Passat which had a few central locking issues that I sorted and the parts seem to be common therefore the problems will be common. The majority can be sorted with patience and a methodical approach.

I have a feeling that the windows & door locking problems are all related. If you need any help give me a shout and I'll pm my number over

ryanp

Central locking says the same when i try to scan it!! if i had a cracked vag-com i could understand!!!

Drop me a PM with your number and i'll give you a bell!

cheers

ry

wudby

Sounds like one of the microswitches inside the drivers lock mechanism has gone dodgy. If you have a lock on the passenger side does that work with the key and lock/unlock all the doors?
Do all the interior lights work as normal when you open and close each door?

I have vagcom if you need me to scan it. I live just outside Penistone or I can meet you somewhere in town

am frum dodeth n i cant for the life of me figure out this central locking now i cant lock the car at all manually or remotely please help !!!!:(

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
am frum dodeth n i cant for the life of me figure out this central locking now i cant lock the car at all manually or remotely please help !!!!:(

What happens when you try to lock it with the key? Do the interior lights come on when you open each door and do they go off when you close them?

wudby

What happens when you try to lock it with the key? Do the interior lights come on when you open each door and do they go off when you close them?

no its like there is no power to them but av checked the fuse and its ok av tried to lock it manually and av broke the barrel in the drivers door av tried to do it with the boot and its like there aint no power to the central locking :confused:

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I don't think the central locking will operate from the boot lock. I take it you don't have a lock barrel in the passenger door (just a blanking piece). The central locking won't work correctly if it thinks a door is open, the easiest way to tell is by watching the interior light when you open & close the doors.

I can run a diagnostic scan for you if you want and may be able to sort the remote out if there isn't a problem with the central locking control module

wudby

av also tried reprogramming key but when i release the lock button on the fob my flashs 5 times not 3 av only just got the car and i cant believe how much bad luck av ad with it tommorow av got to find a new water pump for it any ideas on where the cheapest place for spares is worsborough motor spares were the cheapest by far when i bought a new headlight for it

wudby

i wud be gratefull m8 if you could do that for us do you no dodeth at all

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I got a battery from worsborough motor spares before christmas and they weren't that cheap. For something like a water pump, try GSF or Euro Car Parts. What engine & model is it?

I know the main roads in dodworth but thats about it

wudby

its a 1.4s ibiza 2001 dont know weather its a mk4 or a mk3 or a mk2 depending on wat website your n i live just off the main barnsley road on south crescent behind were darton van hire used to be its nar a costcutter or sumet

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members