Creaking noise from front suspension - fixed

vw.man

Apr 17, 2020
I've suffered for the last 4 years on and off with this wretched creaking noise from the front of my Toledo. It's done it since it had 16k miles on it. It's really bad on speed bumps, but crops up on most bumps - pot holes, etc. It's weather / temperature dependent - I can go through the whole summer with no noise at all, but as soon as the temperature drops below 15°, the creaking starts. Weirdly, if the temperature gets close to zero, the creaking stops again. It also stops in rain.

There are several posts in various forums about this issue, and it seems to affect various VAG cars. Lots of suggestions as to the fix - ARB bushes, engine mounts, drop links etc. but nothing concrete. I replaced the drop links as it was a cheap fix, but this made no difference. I replaced the ARB bushes with genuine ones; no change. I took the ARB bushes out and coated them liberally in red rubber grease - again no joy. Still convinced it had to be arb-related, last week I disconnected the drop links and drove the car over my local speed bump and the noise was gone.

I've bought some Powerflex bushes and I've just fitted them. Deep joy - the noise is no more!

Hopefully this will be of use to anyone else with the same problem. I'll post this over on Briskoda too as I think there are more Rapid users.

Cheers,

Martyn

Sep 21, 2020
Thanks Martyn,

I have the same issue on my Toledo. No noise during summer but when on cold wet days I do hear a noise going over bumps but seems to disappear when it’s dry/warm weather.

Would you suggest I remove drop links and install power flex bushes? Where did you order the power flex bush from?

Thanks!
Sy

vw.man

Apr 17, 2020
Hi Sy

I only disconnected the drop links temporarily to isolate the ARB, and so prove or disprove that the problem was definitely related to the ARB bushes. So no, don't remove the drop links.

The Powerflex bushes were direct from Powerflex - £42.60 delivered for the 18mm ones. I haven't driven the car very far but the noise has definitely gone.

Reactions: 5YLH3T

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
My former car - Octavia VRS suffered from this. In fact the car groaned every time I got in or out. I thought it was hinting I might weigh a bit more than expected.

Dec 31, 2023
Bulgaria
I've got the same noise for several years. I was about to replace the shock absorbers and springs, but this gives me food for thought. I might try this first as a cheaper alternative. Thanks! I'll post here once I do it and what are the results.

Reactions: Cupra306Form
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members