cruising nowhere...

ALTEA DUDE

2.0 TDi Sport
Sep 14, 2005
Having just done 700 miles in a few days, my cruise control is getting worse and worse and either stops working in the middle of a journey or wont work at all. The only way to sort both scenarios is by restarting the car.

Was there a post about this before? Will be pushing my dealer for a new cruise control stalk soon!

Tell

Staff member
Yes there was my thread !. You'll find it if you master the search button on here although I've not found it myself or scan my 500s or so. Other people also reported it, including Loadswine.

Basically it appears as intermitten as you found, restarting it or when you start off resets it. Then it stops working etc etc etc.

I had my stick changed and it is a known problem so the garage said after they claimed it was fine, but I said no I'll take you up on the test drive, I'll drive and you can watch. It was fine for 1/2 mile and then it stopped working, brilliant. They had taken it out themselves and found not problem and the plug / socket read out thingey also said no problem.

All fine now after what seems to be about six months or so with the new one.

ALTEA DUDE

2.0 TDi Sport
Sep 14, 2005
Thanks guys, you really are super super helpful! :clap:

Looks like a trip to the dealers needed. Hope if I bring a printout of this, they will be able to trace the fault and order the new stork straight away.

Loadswine, what did you mean when you said "The dealer actually managed to get the fault log off vag.com". Is this something my dealer should do anway or something that I should ask them to do? :confused:

Tell

Staff member
What he meant speaking for Loadswine is when the guy plugged the diagnostics into the socket under the steering wheel column, they managed to pick it up, mine they didn't. Presume it was because the problem wasn't showing at that stage. My guess it's some electronic logic circuit that is going in and out since a component is marginal, it could be a wiring fault, loose connection or electronics. The guy when he did mine found no reported problem, nothing when he took it for a spin, since it's intermittent and only when I took him up on his offer which he didn't really want to do of me driving it up the road again and it packed up did he accept that there was a problem and that he had indeed replaced a number of these sticks.

ALTEA DUDE

2.0 TDi Sport
Sep 14, 2005
New stalk ordered. Dealer says this has been known on earlier Alteas. Apparantly theres a backlog on order so not sure how long I have to wait... :shrug:

ALTEA DUDE

2.0 TDi Sport
Sep 14, 2005
New stalk fitted! Quicker than I thought. Guess only time (and a long journey) will tell if its any better than the last one.

Thanks for all your advice and tips as usual, this really is a helpful forum. :drive1: