cubic telecom

manracer

Mar 15, 2021
I paid for a 5GB data plan to try it out, noticed I lost 500MB on the first day, which was down to a car update. Bit annoying that I wasn't warned, advised or had a choice.

I called cubic who said this is normal, otherwise a dealer trip is needed to update, I said this simply isnt true as the car could update via wifi (home) or hotspot from my phone.

Not a rant, just a warning. I suspect it would of actually used the eSIM if i didnt have credit or the car wasnt connected to wifi.

Reactions: nwithyman

JonnyT

Dec 28, 2020
I paid for a 5GB data plan to try it out, noticed I lost 500MB on the first day, which was down to a car update. Bit annoying that I wasn't warned, advised or had a choice.

I called cubic who said this is normal, otherwise a dealer trip is needed to update, I said this simply isnt true as the car could update via wifi (home) or hotspot from my phone.

Not a rant, just a warning. I suspect it would of actually used the eSIM if i didnt have credit or the car wasnt connected to wifi.
How much does 5gb cost out of interest and what is the purpose of the data plan if you can hotspot from your phone? Sorry if that’s a silly question as I’m still waiting to take delivery of my Formentor. Thanks

manracer

Mar 15, 2021
How much does 5gb cost out of interest and what is the purpose of the data plan if you can hotspot from your phone? Sorry if that’s a silly question as I’m still waiting to take delivery of my Formentor. Thanks
£9.99 for 5GB which lasts 30 days. I didnt read the expiry in 30 days bit when purchasing.

The purpose I suppose is so you dont have to hotspot.

Reactions: JonnyT

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
Can you let us all know how you get on with it to see whether it’s worth having please? I’m not due to get my car until May so will add this if it is good and gives the car added features that just connecting my phone as a hotspot won’t do.

Jdt020471

Dec 11, 2021
1. enable the hotspot on your phone
2. go into the cars settings, select wifi and choose your phone.
One thing I noticed when you turn on the hotspot is that the wifi is switched off on the phone (Samsung S10), once that happens wireless Android Auto does not work. The workaround is to plug the phone in to the USB port, that way wired Android Auto works and the hotspot is still active.

Eryas

Feb 21, 2022
Belgium
Yes, my car has Internet and I can listen web radio.

So What I've done :
  • Bluetooth and WiFi name of the car : Formentor
  • When my phone connect to Bluetooth name "Formentor" : Bixby Routine --> Enable phone Hotspot named "S21" (automatic)
  • Car automatically connect to the WiFi S21 and broadcast WiFi with Internet for other users : WiFi name : Formentor
  • Then, my phone automatically connect to the Formentor WiFi because of Wireless Android Auto (It has the same name of the car Hotspot, but i'm sure it's a Android Auto "light" WiFi because I don't have Formentor wifi in bookmark on my phone. And that's why (probably) that the phone can do Hotspot AND connected through the Android WiFi)
So, everyone in car got WiFi through the Car WiFi hotspot, the car got Internet through my phone Hotspot, and my phone got Internet through the 4G.

Jan 24, 2022
Hampshire

So What I've done :
  • When my phone connect to Bluetooth name "Formentor" : Bixby Routine --> Enable phone Hotspot named "S21" (automatic)
  • Car automatically connect to the WiFi S21 and broadcast WiFi with Internet for other users : WiFi name : Formentor
  • Then, my phone automatically connect to the Formentor WiFi because of Wireless Android Auto (It has the same name of the car Hotspot, but i'm sure it's a Android Auto "light" WiFi because I don't have Formentor wifi in bookmark on my phone. And that's why (probably) that the phone can do Hotspot AND connected through the Android WiFi)
So, everyone in car got WiFi through the Car WiFi hotspot, the car got Internet through my phone Hotspot, and my phone got Internet through the 4G.
Thank you very much for this very clear explanation, which I've just added to my own Formentor and S20. And not only has it improved car connectivity and ease of use, it's the first time I've found a Samsung account to be useful (needed for Bixby Routines).

Jdt020471

Dec 11, 2021

So What I've done :
I tried this, but as soon as the hotspot is turned on, the WiFi gets turned off (you can't have both on at the same time) and wireless Android Auto needs WiFi to be on for connection.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
I tried this, but as soon as the hotspot is turned on, the WiFi gets turned off (you can't have both on at the same time) and wireless Android Auto needs WiFi to be on for connection.
Works great for me. I have an S22 Ultra with the following Bixby Routine set:

Driving
If
Driving, Auto detect: Daves Formentor

Then
Mobile Hotspot, On
Close an app, NordVPN

When routine ends
Reverse these actions.
Mobile Hotspot

Android Auto connects automatically and stays connected so I'm not sure what's happening with yours :unsure:

Jdt020471

Dec 11, 2021
Works great for me. I have an S22 Ultra with the following Bixby Routine set:

Driving
If
Driving, Auto detect: Daves Formentor

Then
Mobile Hotspot, On
Close an app, NordVPN

When routine ends
Reverse these actions.
Mobile Hotspot

Android Auto connects automatically and stays connected so I'm not sure what's happening with yours :unsure:
I had
If
Bluetooth device ,connect SEATxxx
Then
Mobile hotspot on
When routine ends
Reverse these actions.

I don't have a vpn running so don't need to stop that.

I have now got
If
Driving, Auto detect SEATxx
Then
Mobile hotspot on

Reverse actions.

Will try this tomorrow as it's pissing down outside atm.

Reactions: oldgitdave

Jdt020471

Dec 11, 2021
Same thing happened when the hotspot came on, AA wouldn't work as it needed the WiFi on.

Do you connect the car WiFi to your phone hotspot or just the bluetooth?

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Both. The phone connects to the car via Bluetooth and then the car connects to the phones WiFi hotspot. AA will then work but uses your mobile phones data plan. Here's a bit more detail, I hope it makes sense:

The car comes with an e-sim that cannot be removed or changed. You get 1 year of free data from new and during that free year I connected my phone to the car using Bluetooth only.

After the free year you have to pay Cubic Telecom an extortionate amount of money to connect to the Internet using their e-sim.

Alternatively the car can use your mobile data package by connecting to your mobile phones WiFi hotspot. To achieve this your phone will need to connect to the car via Bluetooth. You then need to activate your phones mobile hotspot and then connect the car to that WiFi hotspot. Once connected AA will work perfectly but will use data from your mobile data package, as will anything that requires an Internet connection in your car i.e. the built in navigation system.

After the first time you've connected your car to your phones mobile hotspot the car will automatically look for that WiFi hotspot, assuming your phone has connected to the car via Bluetooth first. Of course you'll need to activate the WiFi hotspot on your phone. This can be done manually but is a pain so I use Bixby Routines as posted earlier in this thread. There are free apps available online that can do this for you if preferred.

Reactions: arizla

Jdt020471

Dec 11, 2021
I couldn't get it to work like yours, so I've given up! I'll stick with the wireless android and wired if I need to share my hotspot. Thanks for the help though.

Reactions: oldgitdave
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.