Cupra 280 18" BBS CH on Cup 2s'

Mr_gangrel

Feb 12, 2015
Sussex
As per the title,

Just put the 18" BBS CH on with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s'. I've also put Endless MA45B endurance pads and Castrol SRF in as well.

The weather is perking up and i'm off to the Nordschleife early next month so i thought its a bout time to bed those pads and tyres in.

A note on the standard pads, I have only done around 1000 miles mostly the commute and a few B road blasts (fairly quick ones) and the pads have started ever so slightly started to break up around the edges. This leads me to the conclusion that they definitely won't hold up to track abuse.

The Endless pads have the same kind of feel and consistency like my old Pagid RS29. So they're good.

I haven't really thrashed it so can't say what they will be like lap after lap but initial impressions seem promising. I've been re assured by Raeder Motorsports they're upto the job and they know a thing or two about racing, so i'm hopeful.

The Cup 2s' (now scrubbed in) are a revelation, the laterally grip is sensational and the dif now feels like it can put the power down without getting power understeer (it has hard on the RE050s even if i was careful with my throttle modulation).

They take a little while to get the heat in them and i've found on a reasonable drive that the pressures went up 4 psi front and 2 psi rear. Michelin say the optimal pressures are between 36-33 psi HOT so i'm going for 30 psi front and 30 psi rear COLD and go from there for track use, if anybody is interested in these kinds of things.

Now I think the car can use its full potential and will report back after the Nordschleife to see if these small mods did the trick to keep its all round ability but make it a Porsche baiter.

Anybody else taking their Seat/Cupras' to the 'ring this year?

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
I should be getting my Cup2's in a few days (dealer finally found some elsewhere yay!). they will stay indoors for now though, stick with my winters for a month or 2 more :)

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Mine will be making the trip for SEAT Sport Leon Eurocup in September, Went to Spa last year.

Mattias

Apr 9, 2014
Sweden
Whats the diffrens between cups and pss?. I will change my 19 oem for some lightweight 18 Inches This spring. I hope 7kg weight saving per corner will notice:)

Mr_gangrel

Feb 12, 2015
Sussex
I'll get a few more posts and then put some pictures up.

I ran PSS on my E92 M3 and they're a very good everyday tyre with considerable wet and dry grip, they also have exceptional tyre life. Ultimately for the track they don't give as much dry grip as the Cups due to the Cups being a semi-slick tyre with a dual compound but haven't got great wet or cold grip.

I ran the PSS on the 'ring many times but always struggled with overheating towards the end of the lap, I had to bleed the pressures constantly. Still a good tyre and a better road tyre than any thing else I've tried including, Good year F1 Ass 2, Conti Sportcontact 3 and 5P and P-ZERO Rosso.

Depends if you want high dry grip with bad wet grip or good wet and dry grip. I'm going to put PSS on the standard 19" once the RE050s wear out for the road and use the BBS and Cups for track days. A point to note though if you do go to places like the Nordschleife or Spa the chances it rains (depending on time of year) are reasonably high and the PSS have such a huge wet grip advantage i was driving round the outside of GT3 RS on Cups because they didn't have the grip/confidence to push.

If you want lap times get Cups (or slicks if the trackday allows it) or Trofeo R although apparently you need the right set up to make them work but are ultimately faster. If you want all weather laps then the PSS are a good compromise.

If you can only afford one I would suggest the Michelin PSS.

Reactions: mbk72

Mr_gangrel

Feb 12, 2015
Sussex
Now i've got to the magical 15th post I can put pictures up.

Here she is with 235/40/18 BBS CH with Cup 2s'.

Please excuse the dirty wheels, I had just come back from bedding the brakes and tyres in.

IMG_1419_zpss8gto5rh.jpg.html

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
I'll get a few more posts and then put some pictures up.

I ran PSS on my E92 M3 and they're a very good everyday tyre with considerable wet and dry grip, they also have exceptional tyre life. Ultimately for the track they don't give as much dry grip as the Cups due to the Cups being a semi-slick tyre with a dual compound but haven't got great wet or cold grip.

I ran the PSS on the 'ring many times but always struggled with overheating towards the end of the lap, I had to bleed the pressures constantly. Still a good tyre and a better road tyre than any thing else I've tried including, Good year F1 Ass 2, Conti Sportcontact 3 and 5P and P-ZERO Rosso.

Depends if you want high dry grip with bad wet grip or good wet and dry grip. I'm going to put PSS on the standard 19" once the RE050s wear out for the road and use the BBS and Cups for track days. A point to note though if you do go to places like the Nordschleife or Spa the chances it rains (depending on time of year) are reasonably high and the PSS have such a huge wet grip advantage i was driving round the outside of GT3 RS on Cups because they didn't have the grip/confidence to push.

If you want lap times get Cups (or slicks if the trackday allows it) or Trofeo R although apparently you need the right set up to make them work but are ultimately faster. If you want all weather laps then the PSS are a good compromise.

If you can only afford one I would suggest the Michelin PSS.

Great description, good to read a real owners comparison of the different tyres.

Your wheels look great but I like that you are all set to have a lot of fun with the Cupra much more. The best way to enjoy a car like the Cupra. Have you got any footage on YouTube or similar? Be great to see the Cupra in action when you get out there.

Mr_gangrel

Feb 12, 2015
Sussex
Thanks very much.

I can't put them on Youtube due to the size of the file (around 3-4 Gb) I can put them on Facebook though which is odd.

I'll try and figure out how to change the resolution so i can post them on here.

diego018

Jan 7, 2013
Hi did you have problems with 235/40/r18 size ? or do they fit in the leon with no problems ?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.