Cupra 280 Life...

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
Hi guys,

I'm a relatively fresh face to the forum but thought I could add my 2p.

I know many people are waiting for their Cupra's to arrive. I've been lucky enough to get mine last Friday (but I did order 7th March!)

Just wanted to start a thread about life with my Cupra so far and hopefully people can add to it for it to help others who are thinking of buying or waiting for theirs to be delivered.

Things I love so far

Interior quality
Coming from a golf to a Cupra, you'd expect to lose an inch or two when it comes to interior quality. Honestly? I think the cupra is a step above the MK6 golf in many ways including the steering wheel (LOVE IT) seats, dash and pretty much everything else.

The only thing I do miss from my Golf is the carpet lining in the storage behind the handbrake and in the glovebox. Losing the carpet makes things audible when going round corners. Especially things like loose change or pens etc. Overall though, the interior is awesome.

Headlights
Not exclusive to the Cupra as we all know, but wow. They're incredible! Great illumination and there's no mistaking a Leon from a distance with the LEDs.

Gearbox
I opted for the manual. It's got a lovely chunky feel. A little notchy from 2nd to 3rd but otherwise beautifully weighted and a fantastic shift, too.

It's still taking me some getting used to coming from a diesel, and can bite back with a jolty change if you shirt too fast or too slow.

I'm still working out the best way to change smoothly, but getting better with each journey.

Further talking about the gearbox, gears 1st and 2nd are quick (forget putting your foot down in the wet - I come to that later in the gripes section re: tyres) but 3rd is where it really kicks off. The power put down in 3rd is amazing! By far my favorite. gear. ;)

Engine note
Let's put the actuator to one side for a minute (I actually like it), the engine note I find quite attractive. A lot of the critics don't rate it too highly but I like it. Discreet but powerful sums it up nicely.

Parking sensors
Again, not exclusive to the leon but they're incredibly helpful and accurate picking up bollards as well as something more obvious like walls and other vehicles.

The parking sensors more than make up for the reduced visibility from the rear pillars.

Driving modes
Having Comfort, Sport, Individual, Curpra modes on-board really makes a difference. When I'm with the Mrs. and my boy I throw it in Comfort or individual (for me everything's cupra bar the engine.)

When I'm, ready for a blast, I throw it in Individual (if I don't want the actuator on - i.e. listening to music etc) or Cupra mode.

Really helps the car to be more versatile and more family friendly.

Cupra gripes
I've now ran the car on both regular unleaded and Shell V Power Nitro+ and so far I've not noticed much of a difference in performance. In fact, I'd even go as far as saying my economy has dropped a bit?

Need to let the engine run in really but they're my initial observations

Doors
My previous car was a MK6 Golf GT TDI and there were 3 hold points to the front doors.

The Cupra only has two and that's a right pain! Especially when climbing out of your car from a tight space.

The Cupra only has the first door hold and the last right at the end of the door opening itself. It's only a small thing but it gets annoying when you need to watch how far you open the doors.

Turning circle
Kind of expected with the Cupra, but the turning circle is nowhere near as generous as it was in my Golf. Not really a problem unless you're hitting a drive-thru or parking in a space, but it's worth a mention.

Tyres
This has to be my biggest gripe but Seat, what were you thinking fitting bridgstone's to the Cupra!

My golf prior had Good Year Eagle F1s fitted prior to sale and they were brilliant in the wet and the dry.

Now I know the Cupra has 280 bhp (276 to be exact in case someone's lurking waiting to correct me) but even under light throttle in the wet in 1st and 2nd gear the traction is terrible. Tyres constantly lose grip even in comfort mode.

There's no dramatic wheel spin, but you do feel the driving aids fighting to keep the tyres biting on the tarmac.

Can't help feel this would be resolved with a different tyre.

Once you're up to cruising speed everything seems to be fine, but I can't help thinking the Bridgestone's are inferior in wet conditions.

Driving modes

As you may have seen, driving modes is a positive for me. However, I do wish there was a further level of customisation. For me, it would be great to seperate throttle response from the actuator.

ie:

Actuator: ON | OFF
Throttle response: CUPRA | COMFORT | SPORT

They're actually both controlled together under engine and you can choose either Cupra, sport or comfort.

MY ECONOMY SO FAR:
Driven so far: 300 mi
MPG :28 ish
Driving style: Mixed. I work in the city so I deal with traffic most mornings/evenings but I also love to put my foot down every now and again.

Hope this post helps others!

Would love it if other Mk3 Cupra owners added their thoughts too!

Mar 13, 2011
I was worried about the Bridgestones as well because they have been poor on other cars. These seem OK so far to me, though I would run Michelin PS3 or Goodyear eagles out of preference. Have you seen the price of decent rubber in 19"??!!

Pros

Performance - I've had bikes all my life up to 2009 when working from home dictated that I couldn't justify the expense any longer. Cars usually feel tame in comparison to a litre sportsbike, but this one has some of the snarly nasty character of a fast bike.

Ride and handling - Outstanding given the type of car it is. The adaptive dampers are incredibly clever in my opinion. I have not experienced any traditional FWD torque steer so far either, so the diff must be doing something.

Slick manual box - much slicker than old Mk2 Cupra.

Toys - Lots, and I'm still getting to grips with them. Can't think of anything missing that I would want.

Seats - lumbar support and very comfy for long time in saddle. I know they aren't buckets, but I console myself knowing they are safer in a crash as the headrests are active (I'm sure I read that somewhere) :) Or perhaps I'm trying to make myself feel better!

Media / sound - admittedly the seat sound pack is optional, but it is very good.

Jekyl / Hyde personality - fantastic when you have family in tow and need to bimble.

Cons

Wheels - are growing on me, but I know it only a matter of time until they pick up cosmetic nicks / scratches. Machine cut finish more expensive and harder to refurb when the inevitable happens. Tyres are significantly more expensive than comparable 18".

Steering - needs to be heavier in Cupra mode. The wife like the light steering, but I'd like a bit more of a solid feel. I wonder if it is programmable in VCDS?

All in all, I'd say it makes a perfect family car for someone who likes driving but can't justify a dedicated sports car. I'm thinking I might even track day this one at some point.

Mar 13, 2011
Haven't the Golf guys figured out how to switch the actuator off completely using vcds?

I'm not sure the sound actuator does anything in comfort mode? The car is very refined and quiet in this mode. Could be wrong on this, but if it is doing anything it is very low volume.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Your Cupra could have 280 BHP, maybe even more, as my mechanic mate says the 276 is just an approx fig, and has put many a standard car on the dyno and SEAT's seem to always have more (the one round the ring that took the FWD lap record had 284) and the claimed 0-60 time is always bettered when A Express tests them.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

boltonredgt

Mar 25, 2014
Bolton
Just to say not coming from a VAG group car this is like waking up from a 10 year coma....

I can only find one thing wrong with it, it's not loud enough, damn EC regs. One day this will be cured.

I'm getting 31 mpg on Shell Super at the mo, 400 miles in.

TMO

Feb 15, 2008
Stafford, Staffs
Tyres
This has to be my biggest gripe but Seat, what were you thinking fitting bridgstone's to the Cupra!

Yeah I don't get why Seat love Bridgestones so much, they must get massive discounts I guess?? My Octavia vRS came with Continental sport contacts 5 which were actually pretty good, but like most people I've always replaced with Goodyear Eagle F1s. I can't afford to replace the bridgestone straight away after I get the car but I will be definitely replacing with Goodyears/Continentals whatever is cheaper when the time comes.

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
Regarding the Gearbox, is the manual better than the DSG in terms of driveability, fun factor?

One of the leading car review sites said to save your cash and go for manual as the DSG robs the car of some of its character

I have test driven the DSG and yes it is better than the DSG I had in my 08 FR (feels smoother between shifts) but also it did remind of that cold disconnected feeling when driving the car

Just wondered what other peoples thoughts were?

The manual in my FR CR 170 is great so I know SEAT can produce good manual gear boxes

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2011
Regarding the Gearbox, is the manual better than the DSG in terms of driveability, fun factor?

One of the leading car review sites said to save your cash and go for manual as the DSG robs the car of some of its character

I have test driven the DSG and yes it is better than the DSG I had in my 08 FR (feels smoother between shifts) but also it did remind of that cold disconnected feeling when driving the car

The manual in my FR CR 170 is great so I know SEAT can produce good manual gear boxes

Well, very subjective, but I have driven both versions, admittedly not for very far in the DSG. However, the test drive was long enough for me to decide that automatic wasn't for me personally. You will see from the "who has ordered" poll that opinion is split very evenly auto v manual wit it currently running at 27 all.

Both the manual box and clutch are good. Suit the character of the car.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)

Had DSG in two Ibiza Cupras, and Love it, don't miss anything fom the manuals I had b4, tested the 280 with DSG (it's the quicker, better MPG and less road tax on the SC) so It was a no brainer for me. Don't think I'll have a manual again, I want to go fast so it's best, probably why F1 cars don't have manual any more.:)

chrisjgill

Dec 13, 2007
Skipton
Thanks guys - I did feel in the test drive of the DSG (in Cupra mode) its just a case of hanging onto the steering wheel but I might try get a test drive of the manual to see how different it feels

The saving of the manual over the DSG will out weight the tax increase I think

swindsor1

Feb 15, 2015
unleaded

hi Ryedale13. I'm interested to know if nearly a year on you've drawn any conclusions on 95 vs 98. Noticed any real difference? Good initial review thanks

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
Hi Swindsor,

I noticed that mpg was best on Tesco momentum 99 but it ran lumpy and jolted sometimes when pressing on between 2-3k rpm so I've switched to shell v power and I haven't looked back!

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Thanks for this thread all useful information, my Cupra 280 DSG arrived on Friday (intro post to follow when I'm allowed to post pictures). I agree with you re the potenzas, they'll be replaced with Michelin Pilot Super Sports when the times comes.

Rydale13

Apr 20, 2014
No worries!

Thought I was alone on this one, but I was reading a top gear review of the latest Golf R and the writer complained about the lofty seating position.

Got to be honest, it's really doing my nut in! The seat simply doesn't go low enough so I always feel I'm sitting too high, even at the lowest setting.

Anyone else noticed that?

Ocularis

Jan 2, 2015
Northampton
Thanks for this thread all useful information, my Cupra 280 DSG arrived on Friday (intro post to follow when I'm allowed to post pictures). I agree with you re the potenzas, they'll be replaced with Michelin Pilot Super Sports when the times comes.

I told the dealers I didn't want the Bridgestones and they arranged (at a cost) to get some Pilot Sport Cup 2's fitted to my stock wheels (same as on the sub8 pack) - they are fitting my winter wheels and tires for collection cos I wont wanna run a semi-slick tire when its still crap out.

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
No worries!

Thought I was alone on this one, but I was reading a top gear review of the latest Golf R and the writer complained about the lofty seating position.

Got to be honest, it's really doing my nut in! The seat simply doesn't go low enough so I always feel I'm sitting too high, even at the lowest setting.

Anyone else noticed that?

Not noticed that so far but I know what you mean. I've experienced this in quite a few cars though - Focus ST (was a hire car) was about the worst. Bucket seats might help but they have their downsides too.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.