Cupra 280 ST - Continental Lights?

Ed76

Aug 25, 2015
Sorry if this has been asked before, I've searched and found a few posts but can't find a definitive answer.
I'm picking up a Cupra 280 ST from the UK next month, and need it to pass a BFG test (British Forces Germany). The dealer, Griffin, advised me the rear light clusters will need replacing due to the fog lamp being on the wrong side. However, with the front lights some BFG test centres are passing them and others are failing it. Pot luck apparently!
Does anyone know if this is correct, and also any good contacts to get a quote for LHD lights?

Thanks!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Pretty sure the fronts don't need changing due to the LED set up.

I've driven in France, Belgium with no issues, Going Germany in 20 days.

Ed76

Aug 25, 2015
Thanks for replying. Just updating my post in case anyone else searches the same question - it turns out you do need to replace the lights. BFG office old me this was due to a change in the German legislation, the new LED units can't be adjusted enough to be considered acceptable. Unfortunately, it's not cheap. The front lights are 900 Euros EACH, so I'm looking at just over two grand including fitting, and that's the tax free price! Jesus.
A word of advice for anyone importing one to Europe - don't.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Seems odd that the Skoda Octavia (if I have read right) can adjust its lights according to what country it is in, but the Seat LED's can't be! Maybe because the Skoda as AFS with its xenons :(

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
Yep, you need to replace them. I moved from the UK to the Netherlands with mine and I had to replace the lights on all four corners. Cost me about 2500 Euros altogether, I think.

Ed76

Aug 25, 2015
Sounds about right, fortunately I can get the tax off because I'm in Germany due to the other half being in the military. Still outrageous though! Most xenon lights can be adjusted by a dealer, or 'flat beamed'. To be fair to the BFG office, they put the car on their test rig and showed me how the lights kick up to the left. Didn't budget for that when I bought the car!
It's fine though, I just won't eat this month. Loving the car, apart from the ridiculously priced headlights :)

daniel575

Apr 2, 2014
Tell the (German) dealer to put the UK lights in the boxes they got the continental lights with. Then you can simply swap them back once you move back to the UK, and sell the continental lights somehow. You can also sel the UK lights somehow right away of course, next time you go to the UK. But if you're (spouse) with the military, you'll probably return to the UK at some point, so I'd keep them.

With regards to that: if anyone wants to buy my old UK lights, drop me a note. I'm not going to sell the car anytime soon and won't be moving back to the UK anytime soon either, so if anyone is interested, be in touch - I'm coming to the UK in December and could bring them along.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.