Cupra 280 - Tyre Change

funkythumbs

Sep 8, 2017
Hi Guys,

Had a Cupra 280 since September this year and the time has come to look at replacing tyres.

The rears still have 5.5mm however the the fronts are down to 2mm. Currently running stock bridgestones but looking to replace with a better tyre as they are not the best

My question, is it safe to run the bridgestones on the back and a different tyre on the front axle?

Im not one to cheap out on tyres but seems a waste getting rid of the rears when they have decent tread on them still.

My plan was to get some Michelin super sports on the front and when the time comes to change the rears - move the michelins to the rear and put the fresh tyres on the front.

Any thoughts? Should I just bite the bullet and get all 4 done at once?

Tristan

Nov 12, 2017
Hi Guys,

Had a Cupra 280 since September this year and the time has come to look at replacing tyres.

The rears still have 5.5mm however the the fronts are down to 2mm. Currently running stock bridgestones but looking to replace with a better tyre as they are not the best

My question, is it safe to run the bridgestones on the back and a different tyre on the front axle?

Im not one to cheap out on tyres but seems a waste getting rid of the rears when they have decent tread on them still.

My plan was to get some Michelin super sports on the front and when the time comes to change the rears - move the michelins to the rear and put the fresh tyres on the front.

Any thoughts? Should I just bite the bullet and get all 4 done at once?

If you're worried about the back end stepping out you could move the current rears to the front and put the new tyres at the back. That will also mean you wear out the existing tyres faster and can change them for something you like sooner.

ranxzy

Mar 28, 2017
Yes, that will cause no problem at all for Road use. Go ahead and get those maximum performance tyres on the front, then sort out the rears when you're ready.

I always do as above though and put the new tyres on the back.

Last edited:

funkythumbs

Sep 8, 2017
thanks guys

Thinking of going for the pilot sport 4s - 182 fitted from tyreshopper per corner

Das Chin

Aug 31, 2016
put the new tyres on the front as you have all the traction and steering through there so you need the grip and freshness there.

the rears do nowhere near as much work so keep them on the rear.

get some Michelins up front

Tristan

Nov 12, 2017
put the new tyres on the front as you have all the traction and steering through there so you need the grip and freshness there.

the rears do nowhere near as much work so keep them on the rear.

get some Michelins up front

Yes but understeer is a lot easier to control than overseer. Though with electronic stability control these days you don't to worry as much.

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
I ran PS4S on the front and Bridgestones on the rear. I did a trackday at a very wet and slippy Rockingham with that combination; with all stability systems switched off and doing everything I could to make the car slide, the rear was still very well behaved. You would have to be driving like a concussed monkey to cause any problems on the road :D

Count Drunkula

Jul 12, 2017
I literally just put pilot sport 4 S on the front of my 280 yesterday and have re050A Bridgestone on the rear.

Been giving the Michelin's a hammering to get release compound off them but very happy with improvement over the PZero rubber I had on

Stephenator280

Nov 5, 2017
I have re050A on the back and mpss on the front. The back is amusingly happy to go on wet roundabouts but you need to push it a bit to do so. Whether this is a symptom of differing rubber front to back, or just more to do with the way the car is setup I can’t say.

Current : Cupra 280 ST
Previous: BMW 335i LCI, Skoda Octavia Vrs mk2, Honda S2000

funkythumbs

Sep 8, 2017
I can handle a bit slip at the back, more fun and I've came from driving bmw's :D

I just want to try and get away from wheel hop and tyres spinning up the fronts - bridgestones down to 2mm + wet weather and it hasn't been the last word in grip and putting the power down successfully

Deadly146

Oct 2, 2017
Have PS4s on my FR180 fantastic boots in all conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise