Cupra 280 - Tyre Change

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
Sorry but doesn't work depending on speed, been there done that, unfortunately they still go straight on..

Same as anything, too much speed is a void reason. Any driving situation can't be rectified if you carry too much speed.Try getting a formula 1 car round a hairpin bend at 190mph, it won't happen.

You asked how to try and counteract understeer and got told how to limit it.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
GP has it right. Once the front starts ploughing ahead at full lock you can only pray that it slows enough to regain traction before you hit anything, or pulling on the handbrake. With oversteer, you are still turning and it can be sorted with countersteer, throttle control, or if it's too far gone, deliberately spinning it.
Of course, on public roads these are all likely to have the same ending. But I've had more luck spinning out than ploughing into something.

Tristan

Nov 12, 2017
GP has it right. Once the front starts ploughing ahead at full lock you can only pray that it slows enough to regain traction before you hit anything, or pulling on the handbrake. With oversteer, you are still turning and it can be sorted with countersteer, throttle control, or if it's too far gone, deliberately spinning it.
Of course, on public roads these are all likely to have the same ending. But I've had more luck spinning out than ploughing into something.

I see your point. Maybe if you know what you're doing and have reasonable car handling skills overseer is better. If you don't know what you're doing you're likely to just hit the brakes the moment the grip goes which will help with an understeering car but only make things worse with oversteer.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Has this really gone to two pages? New tyres go on the back, all wisdom and recommendation says so. Any decent driver will avoid over and understeer but if it happens, understeer is easier to correct hence the advice.

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
Has this really gone to two pages? New tyres go on the back, all wisdom and recommendation says so. Any decent driver will avoid over and understeer but if it happens, understeer is easier to correct hence the advice.

Clearly that is the standard recommendation but to a specific question people are going to give specific and frequently different answers. There is obviously a context to that “wisdom” (think driver, cars, tyres) and the tests Michelin etc did don’t fit this situation? They were talking about four identical tyre types with two significantly worn tyres. With good tread on the rear Bridgestones and new PS4S on the front, I can’t think of a single reason I wouldn’t put the PS4S on the front, I tested the 280 handling on track with this set up. I’ve had lots of cars in the past that liked to step out quite suddenly (I am happier with oversteer than understeer. Normally :D) and I genuinely wasn’t sure what to expect. Lots more traction exactly where you need it? Yes. Very wet bumpy road, does it cause problems? No. Trail braking into a corner on a wet track, does the back end break lose? No. Lifting when driving through a wet corner on the limits of grip, does that cause problems? No. Deliberately sliding the car into a fast corner, does the back end step out suddenly? No, you just get a nice gentle slide. That’s all with the stability systems off, systems that are actually very good on our cars if you are worried. Is it worth noting I never run tyres below 3.5 mm front or rear... I can’t see on the road how you could make this an issue with this set up. Maybe driving on a waterlogged bend at 130 mph with traction control off?

Last edited:

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
If you ask most tyre fitters, they'll tell you to put the new tyres on the rear. Also, if you switch your crappy Bridgestones to the front, you can wear them down quicker - I've just changed the tyres on my Golf R - had Conti 6s on the front and PS4 S on the rear - grip wasn't a problem and wore the Contis down a bit quicker so I could get a full set of PS4S on the car. The R is front wheel drive most of the time and never had a problem with grip. Not sure about the Super Sports but the PS4s won EVO's tyre test earlier in the year.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Just put 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on today and I've not even tested them yet nut already they feel quieter and smoother that the
P Zero's I removed and they still had 6 and 7mm left but I just needed these tyres on my Cupra 280.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
You asked how to try and counteract understeer and got told how to limit it.

Erm, I asked how to control it.

Maybe if you know what you're doing and have reasonable car handling skills overseer is better. If you don't know what you're doing you're likely to just hit the brakes the moment the grip goes which will help with an understeering car but only make things worse with oversteer.

This ^ is spot on..

It could go to many more pages.;). How do you control understeer.

If you ask most tyre fitters, they'll tell you to put the new tyres on the rear.

Which is good and bad advice depending on the front/rear drive of the vechile and mainly the drivers ability.

For me new tyres always go on the front and get swapped front/back halfway through. Generally tyres with more tread flick up more debris which can puncher the rears (Like we all do I hate scraping new tyres) together with providing less grip in dry and damp compared to worn tyres due to tread block movement, hence unless in standing water your more likely to oversteer with new tyres on the rear, so as most drivers prefer understeer this advice maynot so good advice.

That said, with some drivers I fail to see what difference it makes just as long as tyres are swapped to save them cracking up..

Last edited:

SteA

Jan 12, 2016
Shrewsbury
On hot hatches of old, lift off oversteer was always fun. But electronic nanny frowns on such foolishness today.

I think that was a lot to do with the chassis and suspension? Or maybe at least part of it? Adding coilovers and loads of other suspension gubbins to my old GTI-6 made it an annoyingly benign car, it became pretty boring :cry:

The chassis and overall set up on our cars, even with the nanny state off, is very very good (if benign and safe is good), I think back to my old 200sx’s which would have a good attempt to kill you on a dry day with warm semi slicks :D Driving on cold semi slicks in the pouring rain always focused the mind.

Leaving the as standard Bridgestones on the rear of a Cupra isn’t going to suddenly transform the car into a widow maker :)

Reactions: LouG

funkythumbs

Sep 8, 2017
2 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s ordered and getting fitted on Saturday.

365 for the pair fitted which is the best I could find for those tyres.

Looking forward to the change thanks guys

Last edited:

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
Erm, I asked how to control it.

This ^ is spot on..

It could go to many more pages.;). How do you control understeer.

Which is good and bad advice depending on the front/rear drive of the vechile and mainly the drivers ability.

For me new tyres always go on the front and get swapped front/back halfway through. Generally tyres with more tread flick up more debris which can puncher the rears (Like we all do I hate scraping new tyres) together with providing less grip in dry and damp compared to worn tyres due to tread block movement, hence unless in standing water your more likely to oversteer with new tyres on the rear, so as most drivers prefer understeer this advice maynot so good advice.

That said, with some drivers I fail to see what difference it makes just as long as tyres are swapped to save them cracking up..

Maybe you should get your thesaurus out and look up synonyms of limit, as you will find 'control.'

You then go on to mention that you are most likely to oversteer, 'with your new tyres on the rear'.... So you advocate oversteer as being better than understeer, then you claim you put your new tyres on the front, which in your mind gives understeer...which you dont like.

Logic/10

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Maybe you should get your thesaurus out and look up synonyms of limit, as you will find 'control.'

You then go on to mention that you are most likely to oversteer, 'with your new tyres on the rear'.... So you advocate oversteer as being better than understeer, then you claim you put your new tyres on the front, which in your mind gives understeer...which you dont like.

Logic/10

Had you read my post you'd of spotted why I put new tyres up front, but hey, lets just leave this here and agree to disagree..

funkythumbs

Sep 8, 2017
Michelin PS4 S - what a tyre

Fitted at the weekend, its cold and wet, only a hint of spin in 1st and no wheel hop.

Car feels mighty on them I cant recommend them enough, superb tyres

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.