Cupra 290 (2016) discs and pads

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
Probably been asked many times but what sort of price to buy or fitted are people paying for discs and pads for the mk3 Cupra?

Got the cars Mot in the next 5 weeks or so and they look Probably overdue for being changed, very likely to be the originals. Generally fit most stuff myself so going to have a browse later but thought I'd ask first as some may know of good deals, brands etc - just want OEM type stuff as the car (due to me rarely driving it) just kicks about town mostly.

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
I've been doing a few comparisons on ECP and Carparts4less (same company obviously but prices differ). With Pagid front and rear discs and pads Carparts4less come out at around 314. ECP slightly higher, but there's also Brembo pads and discs at both which differs slightly.

Seat direct parts come out at around £535, but I'm presuming there's probably a code somewhere I haven't got/been able to find.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I've been doing a few comparisons on ECP and Carparts4less (same company obviously but prices differ). With Pagid front and rear discs and pads Carparts4less come out at around 314. ECP slightly higher, but there's also Brembo pads and discs at both which differs slightly.

Seat direct parts come out at around £535, but I'm presuming there's probably a code somewhere I haven't got/been able to find.
You need to follow their instructions on their subforum here, register an account on their website, email them and they will upgrade your account with the discount enabled.

"To join the scheme, all you need to do is make sure you are registered on our website, and then e-mail us with the following details:

YOUR NAME & FORUM USERNAME
ACCOUNT EMAIL ADDRESS

Once we have upgraded your account you will receive an e-mail confirmation. After that, whenever you next go to the checkout our on site, you will automatically receive an additional saving. (Just remember to be logged in!)
It's that easy!

Please email details to [email protected]
Any questions, just let me know!"

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
You need to follow their instructions on their subforum here, register an account on their website, email them and they will upgrade your account with the discount enabled.

"To join the scheme, all you need to do is make sure you are registered on our website, and then e-mail us with the following details:

YOUR NAME & FORUM USERNAME
ACCOUNT EMAIL ADDRESS

Once we have upgraded your account you will receive an e-mail confirmation. After that, whenever you next go to the checkout our on site, you will automatically receive an additional saving. (Just remember to be logged in!)
It's that easy!

Please email details to [email protected]
Any questions, just let me know!"

Think I've got the discount for seatmotorparts just not tried them yet. The one posted above was seatdirectparts.

I know there's a difference as after I got the code off [email protected] I was trying to use it on seatpartsdirect and ended up emailing them asking why the code wasn't working. Ended up getting a bit embarrassed 😃😳

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RUM4MO

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
On the same subject- when changing the rears on my 2016 DSG but non electric handbrake car, do I need to do the parking brake thing with an OBD tool? Every how to I see or read mentions it, but they're mostly cars with electronic hand brakes.

Also do I need a specific caliper rewind tool?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
On the same subject- when changing the rears on my 2016 DSG but non electric handbrake car, do I need to do the parking brake thing with an OBD tool? Every how to I see or read mentions it, but they're mostly cars with electronic hand brakes.

Workshop manuals are here - look for one named ‘brake system’:

This will show you what you need to do, including adjusting the handbrake (from memory, might need to look at body manual too to remove centre console to access manual handbrake adjustment mechanism).

A generic tool with two pegs on the face required to wind pistons back in - Screwfix have one for c.£14.

Reactions: perryqhill

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

For the manual handbrake rear caliper - you just need the piston wind back tool. A cheap one if fine.
Some times on other calipers i've been able to use some long nose pliers and a lot of grunting - but this caliper needed my wind back tool.

Reactions: perryqhill

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

As I have mentioned numerous times - the Pagid/Brembo/TRW etc.. parts ECP and others sell are NOT reduced price OEM brakes! They are aftermarket brakes. Having said that if you're just putting round town you probably won't notice a difference.

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
As I have mentioned numerous times - the Pagid/Brembo/TRW etc.. parts ECP and others sell are NOT reduced price OEM brakes! They are aftermarket brakes. Having said that if you're just putting round town you probably won't notice a difference.

What do you mean by after market?

Many manufacturers use a selection of those types of companies and you can often track down OEM spec parts without the manufacturer packaging and mark up.

Not questioning what you say here, just genuinely interested. I probably should have said 'OEM spec' anyway - as long as they're decent quality and up to standard.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
What do you mean by after market?

Many manufacturers use a selection of those types of companies and you can often track down OEM spec parts without the manufacturer packaging and mark up.

Not questioning what you say here, just genuinely interested. I probably should have said 'OEM spec' anyway - as long as they're decent quality and up to standard.
So OEM is Original Equipment Manufacture, the exact same parts the car was built with, usually ordered through your dealer's part department. These parts have been through vehicle homologation and gone through years of testing.
Then there is OES, Original Equipment Service, which is a second line of cheaper parts sold by many dealers, made to a reasonable spec, and completed some testing by the OEM's - but NOT equivalent to the OEM parts and often cataloged only for older 5 years + vehicles and not for warranty work.
All the rest are Aftermarket parts. Some sold by big name brands, some sold by unknown brands. You will find the big names in OEM braking systems like Bosch/TRW/Brembo etc.. all have aftermarket pads ranges. The confusing thing is when you see these brand names marked on the pads you take of the vehicle - this does not mean they have been made by said brands. There is a small mark for the OEM friction material/manufacturer - often Jurid/Textar/Pagid etc.. but again confusingly you can't assume one of these friction manufactures aftermarket pad ranges is the SAME as their OEM pads - as they are not.
Fine blanked back plates, bespoke friction materials and bespoke anti-noise shims are expensive.
Premium aftermarket companies use OEM parts as benchmarks.
Budget aftermarket may just use premium aftermarket as a bench mark - so a copy of a copy!
Not saying all aftermarket are rubbish! (some are though!) and premium aftermarket will probably be fine, but just don't think they are the same as OEM parts.

perryqhill

Sep 20, 2017
Doncaster
I understand the concept and its also true in the mountain biking with specific items, though often it's generally the other way around in terms of having lesser compounds when it comes to OEM tyres.

Whilst some items will clearly be of a higher quality I wouldnt also make the assumption that the OEM stuff is going to be of a higher quality just because it's OEM and that costs haven't dictated they haven't just asked some manufacturer to make and supply for them. In some cases (like Gates timing belts on Renaults or lemforder ball joints etc) it is just the same stuff and research and part numbers can save you a small fortune - so I am genuinely interested as obviously different manufacturers and different parts will vary.

To be fair if 32 years of messing with and owning cars has taught me anything its to buy half decent stuff and I'm certainly happy with putting some Pagid or Brembo variations on an almost 6 year old Cupra even if they're not quite OEM.

Jay280

Oct 7, 2015
Ive recently fitted some brembo front pads to the front of my cupra (with the 340mm brakes). I specifically requested brembo or trw pads from the parts supplier. I would definitely advise against the brembo option as the pad backing plates seem ever so slightly shorter than the original trw pads they replaced. They slightly move in the caliper carrier causing the most annoying knocking noise over bumps!!! Although they seem to work perfectly fine, the noise is driving me insane. I have double checked the part number and they are adamant they are the correct pads. Recommendations for decent pads greatly received.........

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I understand the concept and its also true in the mountain biking with specific items, though often it's generally the other way around in terms of having lesser compounds when it comes to OEM tyres.

Whilst some items will clearly be of a higher quality I wouldnt also make the assumption that the OEM stuff is going to be of a higher quality just because it's OEM and that costs haven't dictated they haven't just asked some manufacturer to make and supply for them. In some cases (like Gates timing belts on Renaults or lemforder ball joints etc) it is just the same stuff and research and part numbers can save you a small fortune - so I am genuinely interested as obviously different manufacturers and different parts will vary.

To be fair if 32 years of messing with and owning cars has taught me anything its to buy half decent stuff and I'm certainly happy with putting some Pagid or Brembo variations on an almost 6 year old Cupra even if they're not quite OEM.
I'm afraid Lemforder steering and suspension is also not OEM parts - just in a Lemforder box! Some parts are - but I would say that's the minority rather than the majority of their range.

I understand with some product types 'aftermarket' parts are considered better and there are indeed some products where the OEM cuts corners to reduce costs (friction is not one!) - and indeed some 'aftermarket' brake pads which are more optimised for high temperatures and track use would be better suited to track use than the OEM - BUT with friction there are opposing trade offs - like good hot and cold friction coefficients, you can't have both, and I find generally that the OEM friction has the best optimisation for the intended use of the car.

Will you be able to tell via the brake pedal pottering around town - without dyno testing, and back to back brake testing, sometimes maybe not, but also sometimes most definitely! In the last high speed brake testing I did, by the time the OEM and leading Aftermarket friction equipped car had stopped - unbelievably other aftermarket (big name brands) equipped vehicles were still doing 50mph!!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Ive recently fitted some brembo front pads to the front of my cupra (with the 340mm brakes). I specifically requested brembo or trw pads from the parts supplier. I would definitely advise against the brembo option as the pad backing plates seem ever so slightly shorter than the original trw pads they replaced. They slightly move in the caliper carrier causing the most annoying knocking noise over bumps!!! Although they seem to work perfectly fine, the noise is driving me insane. I have double checked the part number and they are adamant they are the correct pads. Recommendations for decent pads greatly received.........

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
With this TRW brake system the OEM pads anti-noise shim wraps around the sides of the pad - and so its thickness is a critical dimension for a well fitting pad.
Brembo have used a simple cheap shim - which is thinner than the OEM shim something like 0.5mm less so you end up with 1mm too much clearance.

To reiterate my comments above, the TRW aftermarket pad - is NOT the OEM pad either.

Reactions: Jay280
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members