Cupra 290 clutch problem.

James cupra 290 black

Apr 9, 2020
Hi everyone

I have a cupra 290 manual with just over 31k miles. I have noticed the past couple of times driving it that at high revs in third and fourth the clutch is slipping. It doesn’t seem to do it in any other gear. Also tried fifth gear at 30mph and flooring it and all is ok.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Is it even a warm clutch?
How much for a new clutch fitted?
As the standard clutch is apparently made of cheese is a uprated one the way forward?

thank you in advance for any help.

Reactions: paddy6789

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Hi everyone

I have a cupra 290 manual with just over 31k miles. I have noticed the past couple of times driving it that at high revs in third and fourth the clutch is slipping. It doesn’t seem to do it in any other gear. Also tried fifth gear at 30mph and flooring it and all is ok.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Is it even a warm clutch?
How much for a new clutch fitted?
As the standard clutch is apparently made of cheese is a uprated one the way forward?

thank you in advance for any help.

I think think the clutches in manuals are hit and miss. Some have zero problems at all, some have loads.

I can recommend the RTS clutches - they have a stock like feel whilst boasting a great torque threshold. I’m stage 3, putting out over 630nm of torque and the RTS twin friction clutch hasn’t faulted once.

I’ve had the Helix clutch too, and that’s very heavy but still a good option.

Sachs is also an option but I’m told they’re heavy too. They have been the ‘go to’ upgraded clutch for years however.

The clutches are around £500-600 with labour coming in at £350-450. So £1k is the ball park figure really. And that’s as long as you don’t need to buy a replacement flywheel too. Which you won’t really know until your clutch is off. You can expect that to be around £250-350 on its own.

One of our site sponsors (Progressive Parts) offer deals on clutches and fitting at their garage in Manchester. It may be worth dropping them a line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Charliessmith

James cupra 290 black

Apr 9, 2020
I think think the clutches in manuals are hit and miss. Some have zero problems at all, some have loads.

I can recommend the RTS clutches - they have a stock like feel whilst boasting a great torque threshold. I’m stage 3, putting out over 630nm of torque and the RTS twin friction clutch hasn’t faulted once.

I’ve had the Helix clutch too, and that’s very heavy but still a good option.

Sachs is also an option but I’m told they’re heavy too. They have been the ‘go to’ upgraded clutch for years however.

The clutches are around £500-600 with labour coming in at £350-450. So £1k is the ball park figure really. And that’s as long as you don’t need to buy a replacement flywheel too. Which you won’t really know until your clutch is off. You can expect that to be around £250-350 on its own.

One of our site sponsors (Progressive Parts) offer deals on clutches and fitting at their garage in Manchester. It may be worth dropping them a line.

That’s great thank you for your advice. I had a grand in my mind already so hopefully the dual mass flywheel doesn’t need changing.

James cupra 290 black

Apr 9, 2020
That’s great thank you for your advice. I had a grand in my mind already so hopefully the dual mass flywheel doesn’t need changing.[/QUOTE/

so quick update on my clutch.

I went for a very spirited drive this morning. When pulling off very hard the clutch is fine. Flooring at 30mph in fifth everything is fine. It’s only in fourth and fifth changing gear at the redline it slips. It isn’t a consistent slip. It slips then grips then slips again. The rev counter doesn’t shoot up like you would think it kind of wobbles around. Sorry this is a bit vague lol. I have had clutches go on cars before and this is nothing like those cars. Had anyone else had this on there cupra.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I think it’s still clutch slip and it’ll get worse over time. But I’m not a mechanic. My Helix clutch would slip in 4th and 5th. From like 50mph onwards. Never in any other gear.

When the clutch came off, the flywheel and the clutch were essentially not even making enough contact as one of them had domed - not sure which.

James cupra 290 black

Apr 9, 2020
Ok that’s great thank you. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a new clutch. I wanted to put a stage one on her at some point which would definitely destroy the standard clutch. So maybe it’s not a bad thing.

thank you for your advice.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Progressive Parts used to do a stage one and clutch package - it certainly could be worth stopping them a line to see if they still do or whether they can help in any way.