Cupra 290 vs 300

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I'm looking at a cupra either 290 or a 300 whats the pros or cons of 290 or a 300 and dsg or manual?
BTW do you get pops and bangs in a manual ?
Manual in theory is more involving, but the DSG is more robust for tuning.
Both can be made to pop and bang with an exhaust but only the up shift farts are on the DSG.

As for 290 vs 300, I’m assuming you’re talking the pre-facelift 290 not the latest facelifted 290.
I believe the exhaust is a little louder on the 300 and it has a bit more torque (or that might be just 280 vs 290)

Beyond that the interior looks the same but feels better quality on the 300.
The 300 also comes with the 8” screen.

However the 290 can be found with the Sub8 kit with the larger brakes and size skirts.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
They are all the same just marketing and different exhaust, if you lined them all up there would be nothing in it and if you put a 3 door 280 against a 5 door 300 it would be quicker down to weight.

Reactions: Seastormer

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Having had all 3 (280,290 and now a 300) can say they do not all drive the same. 280 was ok, bit a real wheel spin fest on the original Bridgestones. LED headlights were feeble, and the clutch was starting to go at 26k. The 290 was an improvement , seemed to be more planted on twisty roads ( both on original Conti's and subsequent Assy 3's. It was also louder than the 280. Headlights were better but still not that great. Engine also seemed better, more refined and not as lumpy. Also had the issue with the trim on the buckets cracking. Latest 300 feels better built (no rattles... Yet) however feels a bit 'twitchy' on Mways etc. Handles well on the twistys , also seems to pull better in the mid range. At around 6k it has started to pop and bang somewhat (manual) pleasing my inner child.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I have also driven a 290 and apart from the noise there was no difference at all especially the lumpy side (you must have had an issue as they are exactly the same ) most likely the exhaust note that made you feel this , handling are also exactly the same and would be down to Tyre choice as both cars share all the same part numbers apart from the exhaust , all 3 cars give the same 0-60 time and top limited speed and all 3 remap to the same figure.
I do agree with the lights though as they are not the best.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
I'm not at all surprised about the clutch though and 26k is pretty good on these cars as the clutches are not up to the job at all on any model , my friend got a new Golf R 7.5 and VW but another clutch in after 4k miles and it went again 3k later which is ridiculous and has now had to put an updated one in at a cost of £1200 plus the manuals can be notchy.

lesinge2k

Feb 18, 2009
Uttoxeter
I'm not at all surprised about the clutch though and 26k is pretty good on these cars as the clutches are not up to the job at all on any model , my friend got a new Golf R 7.5 and VW but another clutch in after 4k miles and it went again 3k later which is ridiculous and has now had to put an updated one in at a cost of £1200 plus the manuals can be notchy.
Are manual clutches that bad on the cupra? My FR184 delivers the same torque (albeit for less of the rev range) and the manual gearbox and clutch has been fine for 70000 miles (and still going fine). Do they use a chocolate clutch in the cupra or is it the same unit?

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
They are all the same just marketing and different exhaust, if you lined them all up there would be nothing in it and if you put a 3 door 280 against a 5 door 300 it would be quicker down to weight.
I can confirm this, only 4WD Cupra's have been quicker than me off the line, but I soon pass them once we get going (country roads mostly)