CUPRA 300 DSG LOSING TRACTION

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I think I need to do some research... I found a thread on Golf gti forum which was 500 posts long. I made it to post 100 at which point I was loosing the will to live and needed to go to bed. There was no common consensus, some people were of the opinion the torque limiter will still operate even when disabled in code and ASR/ESC enabled. One guy still had some nannyism going on @ high revs in 1st / 2nd with tq limiter and ASR / ESC disabled. The conclusion was that there is a further limit placed on fuel pump when less than 1/4 tank left which cuts power?!?! It was at this point I lost the will to live and called it a night :roflmao:

Deleted member 103408

yep been there, as I say not saying you are wrong just not seen a commentator I trust telling me this is it.

There is also:
  • Engine drag torque control:activated in the Brakes module
  • Straight ahead brake stabilization: This needs a security code which I dont have at this point
  • Plus the usual xds changes and abs (at lower speeds)
I will try and test this weekend by scanning in stock and then turning off ESP and ASP both together and seperately to see if it marks the changes to these fields.

And one further update be warned on the Golf Sites you can get a lot of US and Canadian owners and the setup over there can be different to the rest of the world (eg europe)

We have a bit of fun playing with the settings on both the road and track to see whats best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kiddo

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
I have the "starting vibration reduction" turned off which is known as the torque limiter, it allows the car in a straight line with ESC/Asr turned off to be completely free of any assistance!

It'll now just spin for days if I allow it, put a bit of steering lock on and it'll still intervene!

Reactions: kiddo

Deleted member 103408

Maybe I have just learn't to control the power so dont notice it (on straight or corners) but I will do some testing during the week as there are other options for torque control that may be working in the background.

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Maybe I have just learn't to control the power so dont notice it (on straight or corners) but I will do some testing during the week as there are other options for torque control that may be working in the background.
I'd only notice it in either 1st or the top end of 2nd with all the TC turned off, I only turned it off so I could have full power in 2nd, found it's quicker to let it spin than use the electronics, well at least in a drag situation!

Deleted member 103408

Problem is there are many different 7 speed DSG Box's, The DQ200 Dry Box was designed only for small engined cars and had a lot of issues at the start of its life, it also caused a lot of Dealers to believe that DSG's do not require oil changes. But there are 5 other 7 speed box's in the range that are designed to handle more power.

Removal of the torque limiter in my opinion is just VAG closing down (like the have with VIM on Audi) stuff that is causing customer issues.

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Funny it's mentioned, I went to turn it off on a 18 plate Cupra and the option wasn't there, thought I must of done something wrong! Weirdly the option is there in my 67 plate!

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
Problem is there are many different 7 speed DSG Box's, The DQ200 Dry Box was designed only for small engined cars and had a lot of issues at the start of its life, it also caused a lot of Dealers to believe that DSG's do not require oil changes. But there are 5 other 7 speed box's in the range that are designed to handle more power.

Removal of the torque limiter in my opinion is just VAG closing down (like the have with VIM on Audi) stuff that is causing customer issues.
My other thought was that they don't want the traction issues designed into the system to be weeded out relatively inexpensively, to keep the premium R/S3 4x4 models having a substantial off the line advantage. Automann TV got the 300 to 100 kph in 5.2 seconds, and you can see the traction light flickering in the video. It's not a million miles off the R's official time. Disable the torque limiter and surely there's a few tenths more to come off? Perhaps simply too many people knew about the mod and the MQB pecking order is too important sales wise? There's possibly more than one reason? I inquired about a very nice 300 parked outside the dealership the last time I was in, but it was a Seat staff car & not up for sale yet. On hearing that you can't deactivate the torque limiter I'd now not consider going for it when it does come up.

Deleted member 103408

To be clear I have seen the inability to turn it off from the Golf Forums although @Nora2004 says its on the 18 plate Cupra as well.

I would put a dongle on the car and see if it has the correct coding to allow you to turn it off and as always with VAG they move stuff around so its always possible its been renamed or moved to a different section.

Also it seems that this is a 2018 model change so check it first before you don't buy and keep your eye on the forums.

Last point is that maybe you just have to turn off traction control using the button instead to get the same impact (just a wild guess on my part)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.