Cupra 300 Long Term Review

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
Month 1: Should it stay or should it go?

Tis’ the million dollar question when one ponders its asking price. Then there’s the MK3 to consider as well, sure the second hand market has reached the upper echelons of fiscal lunacy but a 70 plate MK3 can be had for around 26 - 27K. Not a great proposition on finance but for cash buyers deals can be had.

So, let’s start with the less than ideal and work our way up. Maybe I’m spoilt at this point because I’m used to jumping in a car and just driving never needing to deep dive into manuals or embark on research quests. With the Cupra I’d highly recommend once it’s delivered sitting down and setting up the car to your personal preference, some things can’t be permanently disabled like lane assist or stop / start but a majority of its outright illogical functions thankfully can. The air con woes can be circumvented to an extent by setting up the system and then it’s just a matter of using the slider at the bottom of the screen console, if you need to remove condensation there are buttons near the light cluster panel for quick access. There’s also plenty of nifty things to explore and once saved to memory it’s fine (for the most part).

However over the years I’ve become accustomed to using things like limiters, unfortunately setting it up on the go is distracting therefore potentially dangerous and this is the general theme for the control style infotainment system. I’m sure it will become second nature at some point but for now it only stands to show a weakness in design methodology, having the car setup beforehand does alleviate many problems but there’s always the odd option to consider. I'm not going to over inflate these issues though, it's disappointing but it's not like the car is un-drivable.

The system has suffered from a few gremlins, once every so often it does forget things and then proceeds to spring up illogical messages obscuring the dash, one should really know how fast they’re going in a 300HP car unless someone isn’t all that particular about having a license. Unfortunately Cupra’s response seems to be it’ll get fixed when it gets fixed, not something you really want to hear from a sports / premium brand. Personally I haven’t had any real issues so far with the safety features but I remain vigilant, I didn’t even notice lane assist was active until a badly painted road caused the system to try and stamp its authority. The defining word is “try” here as a quick shuffle of opposite lock rectified the situation but the system seems oh so unnecessary, a simple audible alert would be sufficient and an option to disable it permanently is even better.

Now let’s turn our focus to the car itself (no pun intended), the fitted Hankook tyre’s are noisy but appear to provide ample grip. The fact that models in some locations don’t receive Brembo’s and a few extra’s are missing like the drive profile select on the steering wheel is disappointing but individual / custom mode is my preference anyway and the brakes whilst slightly spongey still have ample stopping power. The car is still bedding in so I’ve not had the opportunity to see what it can do holistically. The interior is a bit on the cheap side and even the MK3 appeared to have a more solid disposition, although it is spacious, the seats are comfortable, visibility is great and the driving position for myself at least is just about right. Also a small fun fact you can raise the arm rest and lock it into position therefore your left arm has somewhere to lean. The VZ3’s alloy’s are somewhat polarising but personally I believe they’re interesting even if the trim is a standard alloy with plastic bits attached to it, worth it for the electric seats though.

In terms of handling I can’t fault it, this whippet of a vehicle will go in any direction you choose with next to no effort. The limited slip differential nails any torque issues and compared to another 250 HP “hot hatch” I owned years back there’s no wheel skip and thump throughout the cabin. Plus a hot hatch for me needs to have that je ne sais quoi, theatrical moments, a bit of character and the Cupra has that in spades. Also it has a perfect middle ground between competent yet dull and over the top, fatiguing, back braking ruthlessness, if the latter is your bag you can always switch to Cupra mode anyway.

The biggest hurdle to jump over with the Cupra in my respective opinion is once again the price, I’ve had hot hatches with more core design issues than this one but they retailed for far less. When a car costs 38K even in today’s madness I’d expect more attention to detail, a premium feel and a more proactive level of customer support*. Although, of course some may not encounter any issues and some might be willing to accept its shortfalls because underneath these simple qualms beats the heart of a thoroughly entertaining hot hatch.. Let's see how things go..

Figures:

MPG 30.2 (average / real world)
HP: 295
Torque (NM): 400
Weight (KG’s): 1415
Insurance Group: 33

Score so far: 6 / 10

*Edit: Updated with current status.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021
A couple of us have managed to switch off lane assist on our Formentors. Should be similar in your car I’d have thought?
£100 well spent for me with the option of fiddling around with a few other things when I get the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
A couple of us have managed to switch off lane assist on our Formentors. Should be similar in your car I’d have thought?
£100 well spent for me with the option of fiddling around with a few other things when I get the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are certain potential warranty implications involved in this but I am determined to have Cupra / VWFS agree to a few "controltainment" changes, it needs to go back in anyway as the headlights are holding condensation and the software needs looking over.

Discopanda

May 10, 2016
It’s just too expensive and has no right to be. I considered it but there are pathetic discounts as it’s such a new model. Lease prices are also ridiculous. Simple fact is I can get a BMW m135i for less. It has buttons. I’m betting the Cupra will be more fun to drive though.

Last edited:

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
It’s just too expensive and has no right to be. I considered it but there are pathetic discounts as it’s such a new model. Lease prices are also ridiculous. Simple fact is I can get a BMW m135i for less. It has buttons. I’m betting the Cupra will be more fun to drive though.

Cars in general have gone a bit crazy, the Stinger I mentioned went up 5K in one year (hence the reason I didn't go for it). In terms of lease pricing comparing a Cupra main dealers offer to some nationwide leasing M135i offers (on 8K miles / 36 months) the VZ3 is about 1500 more expensive and the VZ2 is about 1200 more expensive. Although the BMW doesn't include the pro pack (with HK stereo) / leather / 19" wheels etc. once you start adding everything up the BMW is quite a bit more expensive, I got a price via the BMW configurator and my VZ3 equiv spec came out at 41,285.. Also the Cupra's stereo is better IMO than the HK..

Of course BMW often hand out some pretty hefty discounts but there really wasn't much in it for me. Although you do get an AWD system, personally I prefer FWD or RWD only with a good diff but AWD is quite a popular option and it does add cost.

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
Thanks for your thoughts. We've got a VZ2 for a week in for another UK review. Handling and power wise I can't fault it. I'll reserve the rest of my judgement for the full review.

Cheers,

Scott

No problem cheers Scott, in terms of handling can't disagree. Power wise I'm undecided, it needs to have at least a 1,000 on the clock before I can make any sort of informed decision.

So far I've compared it to a Stinger, M340i and I owned a BMW M140i. The Stinger has a habit of dumping all 510nm at 1300RPM which makes it feel like a muscle car, the 140i needs a bit of winding but it's very quick and the M340i is just nuts. Also I don't believe either the Stinger or BMW's have anywhere near their advertised HP.. I've seen M140i's throwing out 365HP stock..

If the Mk4 Leon was the only reference I had I'd say it's underpowered and blame the difference on the HP / torque advantage of the other cars. However the second hand MK3 Cupra I tried was pretty aggressive and it certainly didn't feel lacking. Not as outright bonkers as the Stinger or M340i but it shifted, a longer term review should bridge the gap though (hopefully).

Last edited:
Reactions: Syphon

Discopanda

May 10, 2016
Cars in general have gone a bit crazy, the Stinger I mentioned went up 5K in one year (hence the reason I didn't go for it). In terms of lease pricing comparing a Cupra main dealers offer to some nationwide leasing M135i offers (on 8K miles / 36 months) the VZ3 is about 1500 more expensive and the VZ2 is about 1200 more expensive. Although the BMW doesn't include the pro pack (with HK stereo) / leather / 19" wheels etc. once you start adding everything up the BMW is quite a bit more expensive, I got a price via the BMW configurator and my VZ3 equiv spec came out at 41,285.. Also the Cupra's stereo is better IMO than the HK..

Of course BMW often hand out some pretty hefty discounts but there really wasn't much in it for me. Although you do get an AWD system, personally I prefer FWD or RWD only with a good diff but AWD is quite a popular option and it does add cost.
I can’t really disagree. Of course the Cupra has more toys. Perhaps a better comparison would be the t128i. I do expect the cost of the Cupra to reduce in a couple of months however. New models are always crazy.

I was disappointed to hear about the interior. I had a Leon FR on lease over 4 years that ended in May. I wouldn’t want to step down from that.

My FR was £250 a month and 1000 down. Today’s prices scare me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Firaxis

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
3 week update:

Because I've received the option to end my Cupra Leon contract (due to technical issues) I decided to try the M135i again but this time around I was offered a properly bedded in 69 plate. Ultimately my conclusions were pretty much the same as last time, there's no sense of theatre, the Aisin gearbox isn't as sharp as others, steering is direct but rather vague, the suspension is less compliant comparatively, its standard stereo seems a bit comical and the seats really didn't agree with my back.

That being said only the seats and stereo appeared on my true negatives list which can be upgraded with some optional extras. In terms of interior / ergonomics said BMW is light years ahead and it does have a party piece, its engine. With the gearstick to the left engaging sports transmission mode this torque monster will strive to squish you into the back seats from seemingly no revs. Not bad, not bad at all..

My Cupra on the other hand hasn't seen above 3K RPM thus far because up until recently it was bedding in, now with a 1,000 miles on the clock it's time to address some performance woes. So, despite a few reviews extolling the Cupra's virtues in regards to low down power mine at least seems to be a winder happiest above 2.5K RPM. The official specs state that peak torque is between 2000 and 5200 RPM so it makes sense, unfortunately someone forgot to inform the gearbox.

When in sports transmission / Cupra / manual flappy paddle mode the car is relentless but left to its own devices the DSG will often lag from under-revving, pause and then kick down resulting in a mishmash of inconsistent wobbly acceleration. Sport mode seems to be more reactive but you don't get the full show.. On average though said DSG gearbox is fine and besides the odd roundabout I've not had much trouble with it, In terms of performance the BMW with 50NM extra torque's has the advantage but it's not like the Cupra is at all lacking.

So were does this leave us? Hmm, in a better stead than before. I have researched everywhere to find better prices, if one is willing to interact with random unheard of brokers the Cupra Leon can be had for pittance (relatively speaking). Usually it only takes me a couple of hundred miles (if that) to surmise the status of a car, with the Cupra in my experience it takes a while to adapt and even longer for the car to ease up. Now the Hankook's don't sound or feel like 19" circular rocks, the infotainment is pretty much set and forget plus the engine isn't as flat as a pancake. Even the small quirks that initially irked me no end like the convoluted process of setting the limiter is becoming second nature..

Don't get me wrong I'd still prefer an extra dollop of logic applied to their electronic systems and I wouldn't say no to a plusher interior, the BMW is a very likeable car with some obvious strengths but as an all rounder in my opinion the Cupra is still the one to beat.

Score so far: 7.5 / 10
MPG (Average) 27.5

Last edited:
Reactions: Syphon

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
Final Update: Termination

Due to some paintwork / technical issues the car departed a few weeks ago but I did have the option to buy another. Was I tempted?

Maybe, it's a labyrinthine topic to address because simply put for every positive there's an equal negative. For example the Skoda Octavia VRS retains some some physical switchgear and appears to have a slightly up market interior due to the Alcantara wrapped dash. Tap on the Cupra's centre console or dash (especially around the passenger side / glovebox) and the lightweight plastic screams cheap, or is it "weight saving"?

Also the manual Skoda VRS I tested felt a bit more aggressive in terms of throttle mapping plus it was easier to keep it in the correct rev range and the brakes were sharper hence a bit more confidence inspiring. So, I must say despite the Cupra's more muscular persona the difference wasn't quite as dramatic as I'd expected. However let's address one of my largest reservations, the price. It seems that if one is willing to scour the internet and accept a deal via a random unknown broker the Cupra 300 VZ2 can be had for around the same price as a BMW 118i*.

That's pretty hard to ignore and if we remove the infotainment control system out of the equation for a second you get a well specc'd, great handling, comfortable, powerful (if not lazy) car for Focus money. Sure, if someone is looking to buy or finance via alternate methods the VRS might make more sense but if leases are to be considered then what else is there?

Speaking of the infotainment system, once I'd removed the pin / user setup with individual mode set to my driver preferences I didn't often use it. The system is far from logical and trying to engage heated seats or change air con preferences whilst driving isn't exactly safe, although personally I'm not a fan of heated seats and once setup I used the heating slider bar most of the time. The standard stereo system is quite impressive and whilst it takes an age to setup the sat nav system alternate route calculations saved me from getting stuck in hours of traffic on more than one occasion.

Ultimately I was tempted but as I'd already owned one my expectations were set and it helped to think of the Cupra as a decent car not a "hot hatch" per se, initially my references stemmed from BMW M-lites renowned for their snappy transmissions, strong engines and ergonomic prowess. The perfect car for me would be BMW's ZF-8 speed auto and interior design mixed with the Cupra Leon's handling, seats and exterior but as a practical all rounder with a smidge of attitude the Cupra is pretty tough to beat but far from perfect.

Final Score: 7 / 10
MPG (Average over 1500 miles) 32.5

*Pricing via Lease Loco

Last edited:

Sarah

Jan 18, 2021
I loved the new Skoda vrs wrapped dash (y) I went to the Scarborough dealer to view when I was deciding between that and the Cupra hybrid.
I had a price from a broker for a petrol Skoda vrs estate non hybrid for £27k cash new unregistered but it would be months before they could get me one.

Have you bought another car?

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
I loved the new Skoda vrs wrapped dash (y) I went to the Scarborough dealer to view when I was deciding between that and the Cupra hybrid.
I had a price from a broker for a petrol Skoda vrs estate non hybrid for £27k cash new unregistered but it would be months before they could get me one.

Have you bought another car?

They are cracking value, auto-ebid quoted me 28K including metallic, Canton stereo + 5 year warranty.. Also I swore down that I'd never get another manual after the M140i I had but surprisingly I enjoyed the Skoda's transmission. Unfortunately I couldn't wait 10 months for a replacement :eek:.. Maybe when the next car is due?

Not as of yet, there's a Polo GTI in stock which is tempting. Quick, cheap, looks nice, decent interior and would weather me through the stormy skies or I could wait for a Golf R. Can't say I'm as bothered about cars I used to be so I'd probably go for the former option..

Reactions: Sarah

Sarah

Jan 18, 2021
I think Broadspeed had the best price when I looked but that was just auto vrs petrol estate with no extras. I would have liked the pano roof.
The polo gti look nice. They look bigger than they used to be. Someone put a pic on the detailing forum of a wrapped one at the Bowkers dealer. I really liked the interior
I looked at the golf r estates very briefly but I was scared of it getting pinched. I see a hatch version that lives at a cottage on my travels and he had the complete front end stolen from his golf r overnight.
Hope you find something soon.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Not as of yet, there's a Polo GTI in stock which is tempting. Quick, cheap, looks nice, decent interior and would weather me through the stormy skies or I could wait for a Golf R. Can't say I'm as bothered about cars I used to be so I'd probably go for the former option..
The polo gti look nice. They look bigger than they used to be. Someone put a pic on the detailing forum of a wrapped one at the Bowkers dealer. I really liked the interior
I have a Polo GTI+. The ‘plus’ means it’s the extra equipment model. The standard non-plus version is the same mechanically as the ‘plus’ but makes do without the following items of equipment that are standard on the ‘plus’; LED headlights, Digital instrumentation, keyless entry and push button start, electric folding mirrors, ACC, front armrest, auto headlights and wipers and auto dimming rear view mirror, darker tinted rear windows.

I’ve had my GTI+ just over a year and it’s been a very good car. It’s my first DSG - there’s no manual option. It’s fairly quick, handles well and for what it is, it’s also pretty economical. The interior isn’t quite up to Golf standards (The Polo interior has a few areas of hard plastic where the Golf gets plusher trim) but it’s still pretty good compared to other cars in the Polo-sized segment.

Here’s mine. I went for the more subtle grey dash pads (it was a no cost option) rather than the standard red version. I’ve changed my alloys as diamond cut alloys are the only option and I don’t like diamond cut wheels.

2085BA82-3321-4778-A4E3-4100CEE7C6D5.jpeg

A5C91D85-538A-4C9C-87F0-84B62CD6F5BC.jpeg

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
I have a Polo GTI+. The ‘plus’ means it’s the extra equipment model. The standard non-plus version is the same mechanically as the ‘plus’ but makes do without the following items of equipment that are standard on the ‘plus’; LED headlights, Digital instrumentation, keyless entry and push button start, electric folding mirrors, ACC, front armrest, auto headlights and wipers and auto dimming rear view mirror, darker tinted rear windows.

I’ve had my GTI+ just over a year and it’s been a very good car. It’s my first DSG - there’s no manual option. It’s fairly quick, handles well and for what it is, it’s also pretty economical. The interior isn’t quite up to Golf standards (The Polo interior has a few areas of hard plastic where the Golf gets plusher trim) but it’s still pretty good compared to other cars in the Polo-sized segment.

The plus version is 2 PPM more expensive if I was to factory build one but the stock models are plain ol' GTI, they are very cheap though (especially in todays market) 210 a month and 2K in w/ 8K miles and paint. Plus there's nothing on that list I'd personally want, maybe the LED's? Although I'd actively avoid the digital cluster and keyless entry so I think the vanilla model is a better fit for me. Also I can get it in less than three weeks..

Usually I wouldn't be in a rush but our other car is up for renewal as well, the Cupra was supposed to be a replacement for a 365 HP fuel sucking 2 ton goliath and something like the Polo would replace my M140i. That hasn't gone to plan so we'll live with one for now until the market clears up..

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Firaxis - presumably that’d be a pre-facelift model of the GTI. I’m not certain I’d want one of the first of the facelift models; they have the latest generation of VW’s software, so may be afflicted with many of the software issues that the current Golf, Leon, A3 and Octavia have been suffering from.

Firaxis

Dec 24, 2018
@Firaxis - presumably that’d be a pre-facelift model of the GTI. I’m not certain I’d want one of the first of the facelift models; they have the latest generation of VW’s software, so may be afflicted with many of the software issues that the current Golf, Leon, A3 and Octavia have been suffering from.

Thankfully it's a second quarter pre-reg model (207 HP), probably spare stock before the facelift. The new semi-autonomous drive assist is quite interesting going by VW's less than successful previous software attempts..

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members