Cupra Ateca Tyres

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Evening all

My car is currently running Pirelli P zeros PZ4 tyres all round and the size is 245/40/r19 W (94)
As they are coming to the end of their life what tyres do you recommend for the Cupra Ateca?
I can get the same tyres from Blackcircles for £182 a corner fitted which is £728 for all four.

Any recommendations of a better tyre or where to go?
I am based in Manchester.

Thanks in advance(y)

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
R40 😱 They some big tyres!

I would pick Michelin Pilot Sport 5's or Pilot Sport 4S.

Pirelli's are good just don't last very long from experience

Reactions: KarlW300

TÜRKEL

Apr 11, 2021
Kent
Replaced all 4 of my P Zero's with same, I find they do the job well, with the seal inside an added bonus, had been driving for over a year with 3 nails on both near side tyres

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Nothing wrong with Pirelli, what is the best tyre, if you love sidewall design then as Michelin state on their website the PS5 has a premium touch sleek matte black aesthetic velvet micro texture, must be good in other aspects also, don't over look other top brands as in the real world most premium tyres get great results, Conti. SC7 is really getting some good results at present as are Bridge. Potenza Sport.

Be quick if you pick the PS4S as is no longer in manufacture.

Think I'd go with the Conti. SC7 at present followed by Bridge Potenza Sport and then Goodyear..

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Replaced all 4 of my P Zero's with same, I find they do the job well, with the seal inside an added bonus, had been driving for over a year with 3 nails on both near side tyres
Hi Turkel

I have decided to replace all four tyres with the original Pirelli P zero PZ4 seal inside.
They are being fitted on Monday.
Does having nails in your tyres cause any balancing issues?

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
This is the reason I am replacing all four tyres as they still have around 3.5mm on them.
The offside rear has developed a bulge on the inside but only in one place.( see attached )
Looks like the tyre has collapsed as the wires are showing!:mad:
I noticed the issue due to vibration in the seat after going out for a drive.
One of my nut caps probably vibrated off!
Strange how it is only in one place as the tyres all round have nice even wear across each tyre plus the car drove very straight and true.
I bought the car as a used approved from a main dealer in December but have only put around 1000miles on it.
I wasn't too happy with the tyres when I bought it as I knew they were wearing down.
Due to them meeting the used approved limit of 3mm they would not look at changing them.
They are the original tyres the car probably came with looking at the date of manufacture on the tyres.
Any idea what could have caused this issue in just one spot on the tyre especially if they were supposedly checked only a 1000 miles ago?

Attachments

• Rear Tyre Bulge 2.jpg
    Rear Tyre Bulge 2.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Rear Tyre Bulge.jpg
    Rear Tyre Bulge.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Missing Nut Cap Vibration.jpg
    Missing Nut Cap Vibration.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 108

TÜRKEL

Apr 11, 2021
Kent
Hi Turkel

I have decided to replace all four tyres with the original Pirelli P zero PZ4 seal inside.
They are being fitted on Monday.
Does having nails in your tyres cause any balancing issues?
Not at all, if you pick up nails you won't realise until you get a glimpse of them, as I mentioned earlier I noticed one kept eye on it just to see what would happen then picked up another two which saw me out to 2.5mil

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Pot hole damage can cause a bulge to the sidewall. If the bulge has been that big in theory could come in contact with the shock absorber on the inside causing the wear.

Any bulged tyre is extremely dangerous and needs changed at the earliest opportunity

The missing cap is a Seat thing. My new 2018 leon lost 3 of them within the 1st year. Infact most times i drove it something else fell off

Reactions: Terry99

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Pot hole damage can cause a bulge to the sidewall. If the bulge has been that big in theory could come in contact with the shock absorber on the inside causing the wear.

Any bulged tyre is extremely dangerous and needs changed at the earliest opportunity

The missing cap is a Seat thing. My new 2018 leon lost 3 of them within the 1st year. Infact most times i drove it something else fell off
Hi Jase

The bulge is not in the sidewall it is on the main part of the tyre which is in contact with the road albeit towards the edge on the inside.
This is why the car started to vibrate through the seat.:eek:
The scary thing is I was out for a blast before noticing it on my drive home as the vibration got worse due to the growing bulge getting worse.
I'm not using the car till my tyres arrive on Monday. They are on order and the car is booked in for four new boots.

That doesn't sound good about the quality if things kept falling off! :oops:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Hi Jase

The bulge is not in the sidewall it is on the main part of the tyre which is in contact with the road albeit towards the edge on the inside.
This is why the car started to vibrate through the seat.:eek:
The scary thing is I was out for a blast before noticing it on my drive home as the vibration got worse due to the growing bulge getting worse.
I'm not using the car till my tyres arrive on Monday. They are on order and the car is booked in for four new boots.

That doesn't sound good about the quality if things kept falling off! :oops:
Oh right i see. Probably just down to the canvas. The camber cars use sometimes makes the inner edge of the tyre wear quicker. So although you have say 3mm on the centre / outside then it can still be bald on the inside.

Yeah cords showing can mean instant blow out / loss of control / worst case scenario death.

I wouldn't even drive it to the tyre place imo. Not worth the risk. Plus the fact your probably 3 penalty points straight away there

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Oh right i see. Probably just down to the canvas. The camber cars use sometimes makes the inner edge of the tyre wear quicker. So although you have say 3mm on the centre / outside then it can still be bald on the inside.

Yeah cords showing can mean instant blow out / loss of control / worst case scenario death.

I wouldn't even drive it to the tyre place imo. Not worth the risk. Plus the fact your probably 3 penalty points straight away there
Hi Jase

The rear tyres are worn pretty even across the full width of the tyres.( see attached)
They are not bald on the inner edge.
The bald patch on the offside rear is on the bulge and the bulge is only in one spot which I find strange.
It is like the tyre has collapsed in one spot and then worn very quickly?

I will not be using the car until it has its new boots fitted all round.

Attachments

• Rear Tyre nearside.jpg
    Rear Tyre nearside.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Rear Tyre offside.jpg
    Rear Tyre offside.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: BigJase88

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Weird can only assume pothole damage 🫤
Yes it is mate.
I don't remember hitting anything on that side which makes you wince. Ha
I think the tyre has internally collapsed in the one area and then has quickly worn where the bulge appeared.
It was only the vibration which made me look closely at the rear tyre and luckily on inspection it was in a position where I instantly noticed it!
Yeah not great and potentially very dangerous.
Roll on Monday and new boots as I'm missing my car and I'm back in the wifes trusty old Polo which wouldn't pull you out of bed. :ROFLMAO:

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Had my four new tyres fitted the other day.
The car now drives like new again.(y)
For anybody in the Manchester area I can recommend Volksmaster as they changed all four tyres without marking the wheels and they were very careful.:cool:
I have had multiple bad experiences in the past when it comes to having tyres fitted!:mad:

The rear tyre with the damage was very strange as it was only in one spot and all the tyres had worn very even across.
It looks like the tyre had failed in one spot.

Attachments

• Rear Tyre Bulge 3.jpg
    Rear Tyre Bulge 3.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 102
  • PZ4.jpg
    PZ4.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: Jay5959
Apr 11, 2023
Had my four new tyres fitted the other day.
The car now drives like new again.(y)
For anybody in the Manchester area I can recommend Volksmaster as they changed all four tyres without marking the wheels and they were very careful.:cool:
I have had multiple bad experiences in the past when it comes to having tyres fitted!:mad:

The rear tyre with the damage was very strange as it was only in one spot and all the tyres had worn very even across.
It looks like the tyre had failed in one spot.
Hey Karl,

Im not too far from Volksmaster and probably need a new set soon. How much did they charge for the 4 & fitting ? If you dont mind me asking.

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Hey Karl,

Im not too far from Volksmaster and probably need a new set soon. How much did they charge for the 4 & fitting ? If you dont mind me asking.
Hi Shingy

It was £711 for the tyres and fitting.
They were one of the cheapest places as I got a few quotes before buying.
The Volksmaster branch I used was the Oldham one as I think there are four in total in greater Manchester.

The lad who fitted them was called Dan

https://www.volksmasterltd.co.uk/contact-volksmaster-oldham/

Do you also have a Cupra Ateca Shingy?

Apr 11, 2023

KarlW300

Nov 14, 2022
Yep picked it up last summer, great all rounder coming from a TTS ! Loving it so far.
Yeah they are a great all rounder.
How do you find the ride? Obviously with 40 profile tyres I expected it to be firm in the sporty modes.
Even in comfort mode mine feels very firm up front when driving over the typical bumpy roads we have.
Been thinking about getting it checked out under warranty but as the car drives very true not sure I want them messing with it.
I have read there was a recall to the front suspension on here so not sure if it has had it or needs it?(see attached)

Attachments

• Cupra Recall 1.jpg
    Cupra Recall 1.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Cupra Recall .jpg.png
    Cupra Recall .jpg.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 100
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.