Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
I have been looking into a second/replacement set of alloys for a while. Initially I wanted to try and get some of the 19" copper alloys but this has proven difficult. One quote was £2500+ which is ridiculous and I won't be paying that. My theory was, essentially to have a set of alloys with "summer" tyres (PS4's) and then keep the originals to get "winter" tyres.

I have found some alloys I like for ~£900 but I am curious whether the summer/winter tyre combo is actually necessary, or how much difference it will make. I live in the centre of Bristol and i/we don't commute to work. So whilst I will drive normal mileage in the winter, it's never 6/7am on a frosty day and it's not usually "essential travel". Those based in the Scottish Highlands may well have a different opinion to us city dwellers.

Is it worth having two sets of £500+ tyres (plus cost of alloys), or should I just stick PS4's on my current alloys and run them all year round?

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
For you I'd say not a priority. And if you do want a second set, look at getting a second hand set of 18" (I assume you don't have the Brembo brake package) Audi alloys, there are loads on eBay to choose from, aroumd £3-400 for a decent set, plus the tyres. But with your (I assume) limited mileage I'd be tempted on some Cross Climates when you need to renew.

Reactions: Mike the_cupra

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Just to be certain there are two types of Michelin Tyres starting PS4.

There are PS4 tyres

There are PS4S tyres (these being the ones you want for the Cupra version, be it Ateca or Leon).

Both types of tyres are available in 19”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Just to be certain there are two types of Michelin Tyres starting PS4.

There are PS4 tyres

There are PS4S tyres (these being the ones you want for the Cupra version, be it Ateca or Leon).

Both types of tyres are available in 19”.

I was aware of both, I just thought I wanted the PS4's (not the PS4S). I thought the latter was more track based?

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Also I can't find the PS4S in 245/40/19 which is what fits the Ateca, which makes me think PS4 are the correct one

A lot of people on this forum say PS4’s when they mean PS4S so I mentioned it to confirm for others reading.

I knew both types (PS4 and PS4S) were made in 19” but I didn’t know what tyre size the Ateca has. I previously had a Leon Cupra and the 235/35/19 PS4S tyres were what I used and they are an excellent tyre.

My Formentor has 245/40/19 too so it looks like when the initial tyres need replacing I’ll probably be looking at something like Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 tyres.

Reactions: Mike the_cupra

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
A lot of people on this forum say PS4’s when they mean PS4S so I mentioned it to confirm for others reading.

I knew both types (PS4 and PS4S) were made in 19” but I didn’t know what tyre size the Ateca has. I previously had a Leon Cupra and the 235/35/19 PS4S tyres were what I used and they are an excellent tyre.

My Formentor has 245/40/19 too so it looks like when the initial tyres need replacing I’ll probably be looking at something like Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 tyres.

I've had a look at the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5, can get 4 tyres fitted for £505... looks much better than the PS4?

Savage

Nov 12, 2019
I changed my tyres when the car was under 300 miles old, because it was fitted with godawful bridgestones a make which I have never got on with.
I was going for some good year eagles but ended up being swayed by the reviews for the PS4.
No regrets, have been excellent grip in all weathers to date, not really any quieter than the BS, but much better grip all round.
If you want a nearly new set of bridgestones cheap :D : https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/th...a-t005-x4-245-40-19-94-w.457799/#post-4949424

But at the OP, in your situation I wouldn't say its worth having 2 sets personally.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.