Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
What is it?

Here we have CUPRA’s first all-electric car the CUPRA Born. We are driving the V3 in Nevada White. It is powered by what the spec sheet calls a “Permanent magnet synchronous electric motor”. In terms of power, this model has 58kWh 150kW/204PS. That sees it doing 0-62MPH in 7.3 seconds with a top speed of 99mph. Battery charge time at AC 11kw 0-100% is 6 hours 15 mins, DC 135KW 5-80% takes 35 minutes, the range is quoted as 250 miles.

This model as specified (full spec at the end of the review) costs £38,995 which includes £565 for the metallic paint. It comes with 20″ ‘Hurricane’ machined aero wheels with 215/45 R20 tyres and that is the only choice on this model. Some of the other versions allow more wheel choices.

We already had a first drive video review, this review is based on a week’s real-world use of the car. What do we think? Let’s find out.

Verdict
A great first all electric model from CUPRA. Good looking, good...

Continue reading...

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Nice review @Syphon.

I agree on the looks - IMHO it’s certainly a much better, more cohesive design than its gawky looking ‘ugly sister’; VW’s ID.3. I also think the interior looks better than the ID.3‘s interior too; I personally think VW have used too much glossy piano black trim in the ID.3’s cabin - even on the interior door pulls; a strange choice of material in an area of high hand contact, which is prone to scratches and finger marks, not to mention piano black trim is a dust and dirt magnet.

I personally think the Cupra Born looks good in white, although I also like Aurora Blue and Rayleigh Red too. I’m not a big fan of the wheels, but that’s primarily because they’re diamond cut and I dislike diamond cut alloys due to their poor durability when subjected to the UK’s weather all year round on a car that’s used as a daily driver. I’m not a fan of the touchscreen interior and the absence of physical controls, but VAG aren’t alone in going the touchscreen route. It’s a shame the ‘no illumination’ issue for heating / ventilation controls hasn’t been addressed and I agree with you on the steering wheel touchpads - physical buttons would be much better.

Would I buy one? Probably not, as my interest is in B segment-sized cars. However, if I was in the market for a C segment EV it would be a consideration and I’d choose a Born in preference to an ID.3. Currently, EV choice in the B segment seems to be quite limited, but I anticipate there’ll be more choice and EV technology (hopefully cheaper batteries, longer range and shorter charging times) will have also moved on by 2025 when I’ll be due to change my car. And Cupra’s UrbanRebel will also be on sale! 👍 🙂.

Reactions: Syphon

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Nice review @Syphon.

I agree on the looks - IMHO it’s certainly a much better, more cohesive design than its gawky looking ‘ugly sister’; VW’s ID.3. I also think the interior looks better than the ID.3‘s interior too; I personally think VW have used too much glossy piano black trim in the ID.3’s cabin - even on the interior door pulls; a strange choice of material in an area of high hand contact, which is prone to scratches and finger marks, not to mention piano black trim is a dust and dirt magnet.

I personally think the Cupra Born looks good in white, although I also like Aurora Blue and Rayleigh Red too. I’m not a big fan of the wheels, but that’s primarily because they’re diamond cut and I dislike diamond cut alloys due to their poor durability when subjected to the UK’s weather all year round on a car that’s used as a daily driver. I’m not a fan of the touchscreen interior and the absence of physical controls, but VAG aren’t alone in going the touchscreen route. It’s a shame the ‘no illumination’ issue for heating / ventilation controls hasn’t been addressed and I agree with you on the steering wheel touchpads - physical buttons would be much better.

Would I buy one? Probably not, as my interest is in B segment-sized cars. However, if I was in the market for a C segment EV it would be a consideration and I’d choose a Born in preference to an ID.3. Currently, EV choice in the B segment seems to be quite limited, but I anticipate there’ll be more choice and EV technology (hopefully cheaper batteries, longer range and shorter charging times) will have also moved on by 2025 when I’ll be due to change my car. And Cupra’s UrbanRebel will also be on sale! 👍 🙂.
Thanks for the feedback. Urban rebel is on my list too. :)

Scott

Reactions: jcbmally
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.