Cupra DSG or Manual

Kane7

Oct 23, 2016
On previous vag cars I have owned there was a 2 or 3 second delay before pressing the brake cut power to the throttle iirc?

Have to agree with you on this one, why would a cup racer car not be able to load transfer with left foot braking. Massive disadvantage for racing on a fwd car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
I'm not sure about the Cupra. But I drive a 1.4 TSI ACT (150) FR and I heel and toe all day in this car. No remap, or anything. I rev match and heel and toe (I know those are separate things :D ) without any problems. Only problem I have is that it's impossible to do it with the engine in 'eco' mode. But then again, I used it only once after getting the car and that's it. In 'Normal' and 'Sport' mode heel and toe-ing is not an issue (although easier in Sport mode, as the revs climb quicker with the more sensitive throttle pedal).

I also remember evo Magazine saying that during heel and toe 3rd to 2nd gear change could be a little difficult with the 'box on the Cupra model. But nothing about "heel and toe is not possible as soon as you hit the brakes" - I'm sure something like that would have been mentioned on a performance oriented car magazine like evo.

FR184

Mar 27, 2014
You cannot left foot brake for any period of time as power will cut.

From memory, heel and toe which is a short time for both wasnt a problem.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
I've got a manual. The clutch is known for not being particularly strong and I HATE the clutch feel. If I could go back I'd get DSG.. But.. When on some nice roads nothing can beat a bit of driver involvement with the manual.

Porker3

May 17, 2015
You cannot left foot brake for any period of time as power will cut.

From memory, heel and toe which is a short time for both wasnt a problem.

Im thinking the same line as FR184, I believe its a European requirement to reduce power significantly if the break and accelerator are struck at the same time. This is relating to the volume of people who panic at times and hit both pedals instead of just the brake. You really notice it if you left foot break after driving through standing water, like I used to but no longer can as the power drops out totally. Heal toe is probably still possible as long as you dont sit on the throttle too long, which you shouldnt.

Porker3

May 17, 2015
I've got a manual. The clutch is known for not being particularly strong and I HATE the clutch feel. If I could go back I'd get DSG.. But.. When on some nice roads nothing can beat a bit of driver involvement with the manual.

The weakness of the clutch was mentioned to me when I discussed a APR map with an installer, he recogns they are prone to slip if they are using the upper settings in the map. DSG is supposidly the best option for a map. I can't see any reason why he wouldn't be correct in his claim. Personally Id still have the manual.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
You can blip the throttle when braking and changing gear to rev match (I do it fairly sub-consciously) but as mentioned, if you are on throttle and apply the brakes it cuts power. I hadn't really found any opportunity for left foot braking since getting the 290 so hadn't tried it until this thread.

Ronnie Bagel

Monsoon Grey ST 290 DSG
Jul 15, 2016
Tamworth
I'm surprised we haven't had a recent rally champion with all this heel and toeing going on. Is there anyone driving normally these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
It's a known fact that girls will drop their pants for guys who can do awesome handbrake turns and those that can execute a perfect heel and toe'd gear change...

milnei

Jun 26, 2015
Brackley, Northamptonshire
Don't think anyone's mentioned the fact that with DSG, the adaptive cruise control will take you all the way down to 0 and back again without touching the pedals.

For me it's invaluable, driving in traffic is so easy and relaxing, you never need to touch the pedals and can concentrate on the important things.

There's also the great BARRRP noise on upshifts with the gearbox in sport mode too

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Don't think anyone's mentioned the fact that with DSG, the adaptive cruise control will take you all the way down to 0 and back again without touching the pedals.

For me it's invaluable, driving in traffic is so easy and relaxing, you never need to touch the pedals and can concentrate on the important things.

There's also the great BARRRP noise on upshifts with the gearbox in sport mode too
You could get the same result if you caught a bus, i.e you'd get from A to B. Without touching any pedals. Stopping and starting freely. You'd make new friends too. You might have to ask the driver to supply the BARRP noises. You could do them yourself but you'd look a tw@t.
You could really concentrate on important things then :D

Last edited:

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
The elephant in the room...

...is trumpeting what all the manual drivers are thinking...
DSG drivers can't really drive !!!!!!! :handbags:

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
I'm an excellent manual driver, my mazda 626 turbo I had in Australia before we moved here had a brass button clutch and an aluminium lightened flywheel. Had to be perfect to drive that car well.

Loved my FR 150 six speed but I live in Birmingham and my 11 mile commute takes an hour of stop start traffic, so between that and the recurring foot injury that I've had for a year, a DSG is infinitely better.

Sonofzelda

What the covfefe!
Sep 25, 2016
Rugby
The elephant is not finished yet...

...and everybody knows that manual bores are way too far up their own exhaust pipes!!!!!:blahblah: